Noisy Hornby e2

Hello chaps. I have an old Hornby E2 that has seen some milage. It belonged to my grandfather and Im in the process of giving it an overhaul. Everything has been cleaned out and lubed and it now runs as well as the day she left margate. The only snag is it sounds like a small saw. I'm definitely getting some vibration from the chassis somewhere but I can't pin it down. Now I don't expect it to run silently, but I've certainly seen them quieter. This engine specifically before it was put back in its box in

Any thoughts? 

Does it run quietly without the body? 

My Airfix prairie is smooth running until the body is fitted. I've tried damping but so far without success. (Apparently this is normal for the model.)

On the other hand, my E2 (and the other locos with the same chassis) is quiet (some are better than others). The chassis has nylon gears, so noise should not be a problem.

Sorry to not be of greater assistance.

Edited by Il Grifone

Not tried another motor as I haven't got a spare X04. Quartering is fine (they are quite forgiving) and it crawls along very slowly. The actual running quality of the model is fine its just an odd vibration noise. That's what has me puzzled. I'll try and detach the motor and test it independently although that may be tricky as it now has a decoder fitted.