Hornby 4472 Flying Scotsman

Alex H

16 minutes ago, Alex H said:

Hi. I want to buy a Hornby 4472 Flying Scotsman which needs to be DCC with sound. is the R3284TTS DDC Sound Flying Scotsman any good or should I go for a DCC ready loco and fit a better decoder. Thanks

It depends on what you yourself find acceptable and how much you are prepared to pay. Hornby steam sound TTS decoders emit a constant beat even as speed rises and falls and the speed increases in steps rather than continuously. It’s only my personal view but I hate Hornby TTS steam decoders and I would chose something better but more expensive.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

FS is a 3 cylinder loco and thus emits 6 exhuast beats for each revolution of the driving wheels when steam is being supplied to the cylinders.  The frequency of the beats must increase in correct time according to the driving wheel revolution.  To make matters more complex, the Gresley 3 cylinder locos used his own design of 'conjugated' valve gear, with the gear for the middle cylinder driven by linkage from the outside Walchearts.  This was difficult to set up with the requisite degree of accuracy if the loco had any signifcant mileage (and express pacifics built up mileage quickly) wear, as it depended on the valve events of all 3 cylinders being in sync, which led in service to a distinct 'Gresley beat', a sort of synchopation that was very familiar to anyone living within earshot of any route that Gresley 3 cylinder locos worked over.  In good condition with mimimal wear, it was superbly efficient and one of the reasons for the success of the locos, but would go 'off the boil' after a while.

I am not an expert in DCC matters, but would have thought that buying the loco 'DCC ready' and fitting a 3rd party decoder (or having one fitted) would give better results, and might save you money as well; of course, it is a bit more faff.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 3

• 5 months later...

Hi. I have been looking through old  catalogues in an effort to find out if Hornby have ever produced a loco drive model of Flying Scotsman as first preserved by Alan Pegler.  ie A3 boiler, single chimney, banjo dome, corridor tender, 4472? The most recent I can find is R2261 but that is tender driven with a somewhat distorted tender top.  Thanks. Roger.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

This is R3443 - which I think is the latest Hornby Flying Scotsman - DCC Ready, with, I assume, everything in the tender - so plenty of room for decoder and speaker of choice.

50401673267_514da5c4a9_k.jpgIMG_0747 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Not as preserved by Pegler in 1963 though. That’s as she came out of service.

16 hours ago, Gilwell Park said:

Hi. I have been looking through old  catalogues in an effort to find out if Hornby have ever produced a loco drive model of Flying Scotsman as first preserved by Alan Pegler.  ie A3 boiler, single chimney, banjo dome, corridor tender, 4472? The most recent I can find is R2261 but that is tender driven with a somewhat distorted tender top.  Thanks. Roger.

I have been waiting for the same thing, as it gives the excuse of running a loco in Apple Green livery alongside BR standards and diesels - given the vast number of models of 4472 that Hornby churns out, you would have thought that they'd have done that version. I even bought a tender-drive loco body with a view to butchering it to fit on the new Railroad chassis, but so far haven't plucked up the courage.

• Agree 2

Unless it's urgent I would wait until they do another one using the new tooling. That's why A3s in general have been a bit thin on the ground over the last couple of years. Maybe see what's happening in the next announcement?

You'll be paying an arm and a leg for some of these Limited Editions.

You also won't have Eddie The Eagle wanting to borrow it to practice ski jumps..... :prankster:

Jason