Standard 4 Tank Door in Rear of Bunker

justin

Can anyone tell me what was accessed through the door in the rear of the bunker on the BR Standard 4 tank locos? I have never noticed it until I scanned a negative recently. Crop of the image attached which shows 80151 at Barry. 

46428 LMS Ivatt class 2, 2-6-0 at Woodham Bros, Barry. Undated photo but between July 1969 and April 1974 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cupboard was a modification fitted to accommodate the battery for the BR AWS - Ones that are recorded as having he modification are 2/3/7/11/13/14/15/16/18/19/24/28/31/33-36/ 38-42/45/46/54/55/57/58/60/61/61/ 63-68/ 82-85/87/88-92/95 102/209/113/122/123/126/128/130/137/140-54.

I am not aware of the modification still being visible on any surviving members.

hope that hepls

• Informative/Useful 5

Interesting. I'd just done a quick check of the two photos I have of the back end of Standard 4 tanks, and it wasn't on either of them. They're not in your list, so that explains it. Does that modification show faith in the integrity of the water tanks? A leak onto a battery would not be good news and, while I can't remember seeing a tank leak on a Standard 4 tank, I've seen a few leaks on Fairburns.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pH said:

Interesting. I'd just done a quick check of the two photos I have of the back end of Standard 4 tanks, and it wasn't on either of them. They're not in your list, so that explains it. Does that modification show faith in the integrity of the water tanks? A leak onto a battery would not be good news and, while I can't remember seeing a tank leak on a Standard 4 tank, I've seen a few leaks on Fairburns.

Hi Ph,

The area used for the battery is in a void under the coal bunker that was not filled with water, presumably the reason it was placed there. The LMS 2-6-4 tank engine's bunkers were similarly arranged.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

EDIT: I've removed this post as I was mistaken! The door is there but very hard to see when it's closed .....

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Until your post I had not even noticed them despite having a good number together some years ago. It was thanks to the RCTS book on the BR tanks that the information was found. Which then explained why I had never seen on as most of my time has been on 79. 

I believe that 80135 on a well known heritage railway in North Yorkshire has had an access door cut into the rear of the bunker to allow battery etc to be fitted for modern safety systems to allow it to run to Whitby when re-assembled. From memory, the doorway was cut in around 4 or 5 years ago.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks to everyone for their input, and Blandford 1969 for the initial information. The chalked dates seen inside are presumably maintenance dates for the battery. The whole date is not legible but the last figures are 67 which would tie in with the loco's withdrawal date of 7th May 1967.

10 hours ago, EddieK said:

I believe that 80135 on a well known heritage railway in North Yorkshire has had an access door cut into the rear of the bunker to allow battery etc to be fitted for modern safety systems to allow it to run to Whitby when re-assembled. From memory, the doorway was cut in around 4 or 5 years ago.

The opposite of 80002 as I think it had one but seems to have lost it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dc-7c/5448125416

Jason

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Rail-Online said:

You can add 80037 to the list of ones that had them, see here on the Rail-Online site

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p974195917/h4a4da1c1#h4a4da1c1

Cheers Tony

A fascinating picture! The train formation consists of a Maunsell 2-set (probably a push-pull set), a second class coach in chocolate and cream (or possibly blue/grey), and a maroon brake composite.  The engine has no lamps or discs, plus it looks like the fireman is asleep on the platform bench!