London Road - LNWR 1907

Jol Wilkinson

I hope it comes soon for you. If it is any glimmer of hope, I have been modeling with one eye for many a year. In fact I can’t remember having both to work with. It does make depth perception more difficult but a couple of extra angles helps get pieces to sit in the correct place.

richard 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Yes it is good to hear that you are modelling again despite these setbacks. Hopefully the problem has been stabilised now so that you can forge ahead with your project.

Regarding instant wood glue there is something called mitre glue which is a bottle of superglue and an activator spray. The superglue goes on one face and the other face is sprayed with activator, then they bond in 10 seconds as they are held together. This stuff is available from the likes of Screwfix and only costs a fiver or so. It may not be suitable for all joints but could be used in conjunction with wood glue to hold the joint while the wood glue sets and allow early handling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, D-A-T said:

A question?

Is the layout going to be a permanent home fixture or might we have the pleasure of seeing it at an exhibition in the (medium) future?

I retired from exhibiting London Road and won't be taking it up again. The original terminus section of the layout has been bought back by John Redrup and is currently in storage. The "Extension" that I added (to create a through station and which is how it appeared for several years) forms the centre of the new oval layout.

So no exhibitions for this version but I will be happy to welcome visitors when there is something more complete to show.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

So no exhibitions for this version but I will be happy to welcome visitors when there is something more complete to show.

I am sure there will be more than a couple who would bite your hand off for that offer. I for one would.

richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, richard i said:

I am sure there will be more than a couple who would bite your hand off for that offer. I for one would.

richard

1 hour ago, Coal Tank said:

Where do I sign:scratchhead:

I'll let you know on here when I think it's worthwhile making a visit to the far east of England.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jol, happy to see you back modelling, hope it all goes smoothly and that you're enjoying it.

I too hope the sight problem has stabilised; also, I understand that where a medical issue has affected a sense such as sight or hearing, the brain gradually learns to compensate, to work around the change, so that it becomes less problematic after a time: I hope that happens to you too :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hello Chas,

the consultant was hopeful that my brain would be able to compensate for some of the problem, but it isn't cooperating fully. At my age that isn't surprising.

I am alright at building the baseboards (brain fade mistakes excluded) so the full test will be when I get down to the trackwork and, importantly, building some more stock, etc.

Jol

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm sorry Jol; age-related bodily unco-operativeness is intensely frustrating! I suspect I may have a few years on you (at 55) but I already find similar poor behaviour where previously things would be right as rain very quickly.

Keep the faith! The important thing is that you continue enjoying whatever you do :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 15/09/2022 at 15:02, Jol Wilkinson said:

The two baseboards with the station buildings, etc. are those I built when I converted the original London Road into a through station. THe terminus version of the layout is now back with John Redrup of LRM.

Great to see the progress Jol and glad you are back producing.  Will both your and John's layouts be called "London Road"?

11 hours ago, Brassey said:

Great to see the progress Jol and glad you are back producing.  Will both your and John's layouts be called "London Road"?

Thanks,

kit building progress is slow and the results are always as good as I used to be able to get, but I still get satisfaction from it.

Both layouts will still be called London Road - there are several others out there but not LNWR - but only the original will be exhibited again, if John can find tine. He is normally busy with LRM - the recent closure of his main etch supplier PEC, causing issues at present. 

Jol

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Jol, all looking very good and I also like the look of the two carriages sitting by the platform: what are they please? The nearer one looks to be in LNWR livery and I'm guessing the other on will be too but I can;t tell exactly what types they are in the picture...

11 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Hello Jol, all looking very good and I also like the look of the two carriages sitting by the platform: what are they please? The nearer one looks to be in LNWR livery and I'm guessing the other on will be too but I can;t tell exactly what types they are in the picture...

Hello Chas,

they are both LNWR 50! cove roof non corridor carriages from the LRM range. The nearer is a D326 Brake Third, the other a D102 All First, IIRC. 

Etched  brass with extruded aluminium roofs, they were the first out of the stiock box to be used for "test vehicles" on the new trackwork. The unpainted brass horsebox on the right is a PC LNWR  kit, one of two I bought partially built. One has been soldered, the other assembles (by the look of things) with superglue!

Jol

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Hello Chas,

they are both LNWR 50! cove roof non corridor carriages from the LRM range. The nearer is a D326 Brake Third, the other a D102 All First, IIRC. 

Etched  brass with extruded aluminium roofs, they were the first out of the stiock box to be used for "test vehicles" on the new trackwork. The unpainted brass horsebox on the right is a PC LNWR  kit, one of two I bought partially built. One has been soldered, the other assembles (by the look of things) with superglue!

Jol

Good grief - I hadn't even spotted the horsebox! I think I was distracted by the woman in the voluminous pink crinoline skirt to the left of the carriages...😉

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Good grief - I hadn't even spotted the horsebox! I think I was distracted by the woman in the voluminous pink crinoline skirt to the left of the carriages...😉

The figures are nearly all by Andrew Stadden, painted for me by Cat Gibbs from Ipswich.

I've just been given a group of five Modelu figures, painted by my friend Dave Carr. Dave's background has been in wargaming and his painted figures are even more impressive than Cat's work.

• Like 1