Layouts 4U Lighting kits

Butler

Hi

I have just finished fitting Layouts 4U led lights, battery operated with latching reed switches , to some Hornby 2Bil/Hal units. They are very simple and versatile. I have even fitted an led in the rear driving compartment, painted with red nail varnish, and a small hole about1mm drilled through the rear above the light bracket to shine through. It works brilliantly ( no pun intended )

there is no need to fit resistors to dim them, as a coat of yellow acrylic dims them to any level required or shade, just a bit of trial and error. If you put on too much, a quick wipe with acetone or something will take the back to normal . I left the toilet fully bright to shine through the opaque window. Batteries are easy to hide in the cabs or toilets, BUT my big question:

how long will they last??? 

I didn’t want to fit the batteries underneath, and as these Hornby coaches are relatively easy to dismantle, I am not too worried.

one thing to watch! It would have been easier if I had fitted the switches the same way round on each coach, though there’s not much to see to denote direction. So now some need a left swipe and some right with the magnet. Fine unless you want them automatic with a magnet under a bridge.

Anyway I’m very pleased.

B

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a similar cheapo Chinese system from Amazon which I bought to experiment with, and fitted up a 2 coach auto set.  The switches could not be made to work reliably so I’ve given them an exciting opportunity of a new career on landfill.  The roofs are easy to remove so I just insert the batteries when I want the coaches lit for now. 

Like you, I’ve toned them down with cream acrylic.  Using cheapo pound shop batteries, performance is nothing to complain about; left on for four continual days to test burn time and heat emission, they provided adequate power and in fact ran for a further day and a half before dying altogether.  In normal usage they should last several months at least 

You can buy the latching reed switches loose from Layouts 4U. They are only about £2.You could just solder them in line and glue them in.

Having done many of my coaches, I’ve modified the painting of the leds. I’ve put a strip of masking tape over them and painted that. If you don’t like the shade you can pull it off and start again, and anyway the tape masks them a bit. It’s a lot easier than mucking about with resistors.

B

• Informative/Useful 1

I received three sets of light kits from Layouts4U last week.  These are for my 0 gauge Heljan Gresley coaches.  I've had a quick look and it looks, from the instructions, that the best location for the on/off switch (yes, I bought the wrong ones) is in the end doors.  I will report on my progress.

John

Yes but I would be careful that the coaches are not together on the ends with the switches , they might switch each other. I have had occasions that they turn on and off when passing close to a loco! Having said that, I just tried another reed on one of my coaches and it doesn’t operate it , but the loco might.

B