Bachmann Class 205 - opinions

Hi guys

Last year I purchased a Bachmann class 205 and after a lot of phaffing around (re-greasing gears, etc.) trying to get it to run quietly, I ended up having to return it due to the noise it was emitting from the motor/gears (sort of grinding type noise).

I'm thinking of buying another from a different supplier, but before I do can I ask those of you out there who have a 205 in BR blue what your experience of them is? I.e. Was my previous experience normal for that model? Does it run quietly for you?  I really dislike noisy motors/gears/wheel sets so if that is normal then I won't worry about getting another one.

Cheers!

Edited by Meir
Correcting typos

• RMweb Gold

I have one of the Kernow limited edition ones in Blue, and mine runs perfectly fine with no gear noise at all..... Mind you, I run it mostly with the DCC sound on. I suspect that the one you bought was just a one off, as the motor/gears on the Bachmann powered bogie seem to usually be good. I have 2 x 4-Cep's and an EPB which use the same motor bogie set-up, and they seem fine too.

Did you remove all of the factory supplied grease, as sometimes that can harden during transit, and can take a bit of time to free up.

• Like 1

As per Geep7's response, Meir's experience is not typical. As Geep said, the mechanism is identical to the EPB, MLV and CEP units, and almost identical to the class 150 as well.

I don't have a plain blue 205, but I do have a green one, a Connex one and an NSE liveried version, plus five 2 EPBs, six MLVs, and eight 4 CEPs, plus a few of the aforementioned class 150 units, and not one grinds or growls. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have two and they are both perfect - not silent as sound fitted and they thump away ;)

Seriously, they make no noise running with sound off, only issue I had with one was adjusting the light bar contacts in the trailer.

Roy

• Like 1

Thanks for you responses, guys. I thought (and hoped) that it was a one-off, but just wanted to be sure. With regards removing the grease - yep, completely took it apart and regreased, etc. It didn't make much difference, sadly.

Now I just need to decide: 205 or the upcoming motorised EFE underground set first ... :D.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Meir said:

Thanks for you responses, guys. I thought (and hoped) that it was a one-off, but just wanted to be sure. With regards removing the grease - yep, completely took it apart and regreased, etc. It didn't make much difference, sadly.

Now I just need to decide: 205 or the upcoming motorised EFE underground set first ... :D.

You might like to check that both the drive pins are still in place on the powered bogie, as on a couple of my 4CEPs they went AWOL. It's fairly easy to check - try turning the driven wheels with your thumb. If you can the pin is missing....

• RMweb Gold

Meir, this is another vote for the general excellence of the Bachmann EMU / DEMU power bogie.  Between the three of us that have rolling stock for Star Lane (

) we have a massive collection of Bachmann 4CEPs, 2EPBs, MLVs, 2HAPs and 2Hs.  THe mechanisms in all of them have been faultless.  I fear that you were just plain damn unlucky with your original thumper.
HTH.

• Agree 5

The 205 has arrived! Got to make some space so I can run it in (after lightly oiling, of course).  I just noticed that the motor carriage (left) sits slightly higher than the non-motor one (right).

I assume this is standard given the motor? I didn't notice it on my previous one as I was preoccupied with the noise issue.

20210331_151328.gif

Edited by Meir
typo