Class 31 Hauled 1980's Paignton Summer Saturday MK2 Formations

alexross42

• RMweb Premium

Greetings,

I've searched the site on many variations of the thread title but to no avail - would anyone please have any info regarding the Mk2 formations that could be found on the 1980's Class 31 hauled summer Saturday services that ran from the North to Paignton? I've seen various pictures and video footage but not with enough clarity to pick out particular coach types, except for the more obvious Mk2f TSO's and Mk1 BGs. I think I remember seeing an IC Mk2C in one video and various types of RU/RMB, so if anyone has spotting notes from that era of these services that they're willing to share it would be hugely appreciated :)

Many thanks, stay safe.

Ross.

• RMweb Premium

From memory the 31s started appearing on the WoE summer Saturday trains from about 1986. Origin stations included Liverpool, Manchester, Stockport and Rose Grove. WCML sets that were spare at weekends were used, with Oxley based EBW sets among them. The sets weren't remarshalled, so coach lists of WCML sets will give you a good idea. But most WCML sets were Mk2f and Mk3 and later on included DVTs instead of BGs.

This webpage has a couple of photos https://www.derbysulzers.com/devon3.html if you scroll down far enough, one with a pair of 31s on Mk3s+Mk2fs and below that a 47 replacing the 31s on Mk2fs with a BG and what looks like an RBR.

Edited by brushman47544
EBW = Euston, Birmingham & Wolverhampton
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

From memory the 31s started appearing on the WoE summer Saturday trains from about 1986. Origin stations included Liverpool, Manchester, Stockport and Rose Grove. WCML sets that were spare at weekends were used, with Oxley based EBW sets among them. The sets weren't remarshalled, so coach lists of WCML sets will give you a good idea. But most WCML sets were Mk2f and Mk3 and later on included DVTs instead of BGs.

This webpage has a couple of photos https://www.derbysulzers.com/devon3.html if you scroll down far enough, one with a pair of 31s on Mk3s+Mk2fs and below that a 47 replacing the 31s on Mk2fs with a BG and what looks like an RBR.

Very interesting . Thanks for posting the link to that page . I knew 31/4s obviously had ETH but I never knew they were used regularly ie Summer Saturdays with mk3 and mk2 stock . So thats a bit of a revelation to me . 31/4s and mk3s 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Very interesting . Thanks for posting the link to that page . I knew 31/4s obviously had ETH but I never knew they were used regularly ie Summer Saturdays with mk3 and mk2 stock . So thats a bit of a revelation to me . 31/4s and mk3s 

Using 31/4s was a b****y stupid idea and can only have been thought up by a basher. Seriously underpowered even as a pair, either someone wanted 31/4s for haulage or wanted locos to be allocated that were likely to fail and see NB locos called up at short notice as replacement (as per the photo of 47236 in the link).

• Like 2

Here's a ropey pic I took in June 1988, cropped and fiddled with to make the coaches clearer. No Mk1 BG, only aircon Mk2s I think, plus the only Mk3 is the catering vehicle 3rd from the back. And a lot of window hangers.

553342358_June1988a.jpg.e32fd7b6e5e8fc37342133530022d8d5.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your responses, very useful!
I recently bought a copy of the Lineside Video DVD 'Modern Traction Archive - Exeter in 1989' and have been trawling through it making a note of all the consists - there are quite a few of the 31-hauled services in the DVD and no two consists are the same!

Even some with a single 31, which is surprising especially when even some of the 6 coach rakes are double-headed.

Back in 1989 I think there were 3 pairs diagrammed to the West Country on Saturdays. Sets were normal WCML Mark 2 and Mark 3 sets complete with DVT's.

It was quite common for at least one of the pairs to be replaced with different traction for the return journey.

Neil

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2021 at 16:37, brushman47544 said:

But most WCML sets were Mk2f and Mk3 and later on included DVTs instead of BGs.

Brought my bike and camping gear back from PZ to Birmingham in a DVT one Saturday night. That one was booked a 47 IIRC. Never got 31/4 haulage down there myself but did spot a 58  on the South Devon banks. 

• RMweb Premium

To my shame, I reckon I've probably still got a couple of the seat number clips from the mk3 Pullman stock, that 'fell' into my pocket on summer Saturdays in Devon. :rolleyes:

Here's my pic of 31450 & 31460 at Torquay, not much use for the stock, except for a positive I D of the mk1 BG.

Can't remember if the rest of the stock was mk2 or mk3 !

234481407_Scan_20150130(21).jpg.b8c38bfa59a4ca052806cad790331cc4.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 6

On 31/03/2021 at 16:51, Legend said:

Yep. Saw a few of those combinations in the late 80s passing through Dawlish! BR blue 31/4s in pairs from Liverpool lime street to Paignton. Prototype for everything thread beckons !

• Agree 1