Hornby R8249 decoder programming

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Anyone know how to put a new 4 digit address on a Hornby R8249 8pin decoder using a Lenz Set 100 ?  No matter what I try I keep getting error 2 !  Can't read/write anything on it

Error code 2 usually means the Lenz cannot see the decoder. Is the loco on the programming track?

35 minutes ago, johnd said:

Have you changed CV29 to allow a long address? 

You don't need to do this manually. When you set the address, the command station knows whether it's a short or long address and sets CV 29 automatically. 

Edited by RFS

Thanks for the replies.  Can't access CV29..or any other CV's ?  AFAIK bit 5 in CV29 requires changing from 0 to 1 to enable long addresses.

Tried both the programming track and on the main.

With other decoders the Lenz normally auto sets a long address once it's entered on the throttle.

I seem to recall there was some sort of conflict when trying to program Hornby decoders with a Lenz ?

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

I have the Lenz DCC system too and never had a problem programming R8249s although I don't have these decoders any more. As I said above, CV 29 will be set automatically according to the address you are using.

Does the loco run OK on default address 3 which would prove the decoder is OK? Error code 2 usually means the decoder cannot be found, or your programming track isn't wired up correctly. 

30 minutes ago, RFS said:

I have the Lenz DCC system too and never had a problem programming R8249s although I don't have these decoders any more. As I said above, CV 29 will be set automatically according to the address you are using.

Does the loco run OK on default address 3 which would prove the decoder is OK? Error code 2 usually means the decoder cannot be found, or your programming track isn't wired up correctly. 

Loco runs just fine and lights work OK on address 03.  

Programming track works fine with Loksound/Lenz and Hatton's decoders but not this R8429.....just constant error 2's.....

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text

11 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Odd.  I have a Lenz 100 and do have some R8249's, I find them OK in diesels with flywheel drives  Never had the Err02 with them. Duff decoder?

As a above decoder works OK on address 03, but can't read or write  an address on the programming track. I don't normally use Hornby decoders, but it's the only 8 pin one I have small enough to fit into the chassis slot in a new Hornby 87. Did try other decoders on top of the circuit board but body would not fit back on.  Also looking at perhaps fitting a different decoder where the recess for a speaker is cut and extending the wiring.

Have you tried resetting the decoder to factory settings.

Change the value of CV8 to 08.

if that doesn't work then there are plenty of small decoders around, Digitrax DZ126PS is but one.

Just seems to be a problem getting stuff at the moment probably covid's to blame.

cheers

Bob

• RMweb Premium

I've had some Hornby TTS decoders that wouldn't address on the program track - I had to use Program on the Main.

Which is not good as I can't read the address on the program track!

1 hour ago, long island jack said:

Try page mode on the lenz 100

Having not used page mode before.....how does one use it ?

31 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I've had some Hornby TTS decoders that wouldn't address on the program track - I had to use Program on the Main.

Which is not good as I can't read the address on the program track!

How do you change an address using POM ? thought it could only be done on the programming track ?  

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

How do you change an address using POM ? thought it could only be done on the programming track ?  

You can do POM address changing as long as you know the address........

Which you need to know when doing any POM anyway.

Although some systems/decoders may not allow address changing via POM.

12 minutes ago, newbryford said:

You can do POM address changing as long as you know the address........

Which you need to know when doing any POM anyway.

Although some systems/decoders may not allow address changing via POM.

Basically I want to change the default address of 03 to 8720....

So to use POM - F > 7 and then what...?

• RMweb Premium
Just now, tractor_37260 said:

Basically I want to change the default address of 03 to 8720....

So to use POM - F > 7 and then what...?

I'm not near my Lenz set and can't remember the exact key press, but using +/- keys will cycle through the basic cvs - accel/decel/address etc. Then enter the new value.

As I said - I'm not too sure if the Lenz may allow this - it may have been altered on the last update of the set100.. but you can alter CVs - so may be able to calculate the long address for Cv17/18 and alter Cv29 to use a long address.

I know I can change the address POM on a NCE Powercab.

• Thanks 1

Is the op absolutely certain that it an R8249 decoder and not the earlier R8215 decoder which didn't support long addresses?  The two decoders look identical apart from (possibly) different colour paint blobs on the main chip.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, smokebox said:

Is the op absolutely certain that it an R8249 decoder and not the earlier R8215 decoder which didn't support long addresses?  The two decoders look identical apart from (possibly) different colour paint blobs on the main chip.

As I recall the R8215 has a red blob and the R8249 a blue one. 

1 hour ago, long island jack said:

I'm taking it, by all the question you don't have a manual for the lenz 100.

use page mode same as cv mode page 55

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/lenz-owners-manual-lh100-throttle-handset/

Thanks for the link  - I have a manual but it's an older version, 08/04 - so no page 55   - although the Set 100 has been updated to V3.6  I'll have another look at it using the linked manual.

4 minutes ago, RFS said:

As I recall the R8215 has a red blob and the R8249 a blue one. 

Yep definitely an R8249 with a BLUE spot. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, tractor_37260 said:

Tried page and reg prog modes still not getting anywhere...command station just shuts off...looks like it will be staying as 03 !

Thanks for all the comments/ideas....

did you try to put a 2 digit address in?

Edited by long island jack