Spur 0 / 0 Scale wheels and parts?

Guest WM183

Guest WM183

Hello all!

I'm debating dipping a toe in 0 scale German modelling, but frankly, I cannot afford 2k+ for a locomotive. However, I am happy building them, from scratch if required. If I wanted to attempt such a build, are there firms who make wheels and axles for German steam-era stock and locomotives? A Prussian T 9.3  / DR 91 would be a great start, small and common - and not overall complicated a critter. 1350 mm drivers and 1000 mm pilot in this case. Does anyone have any ideas? How about wheels and axleguards / springs / axleboxes for wagons, like regular ol  G10 or GR covered goods wagons?

All the best,

Amanda

Amanda,

Probably not good news, the Spur Null community is heavily into RTR.   The stock is just too good.  I'm sure there are suppliers of wheels etc but couldn't find then in a cursory perusal last night.

I can provide a couple of resources for you:  

https://argespur0.de (that is a zero)

https://www.spurnull-magazin.de

My solution to the cost issue is only to purchase models that are correct for my modelling location / period, which is Franken Epoche 3 .  So no North German locomotives, such as BR 24, BR 55 or BR 91.

At the moment I'm building a 12' x 1' layout for the Small Layout Competition at Guildex.  I'm using Peco code 124 track - close enough.

Bill

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2021 at 15:03, Western Star said:

Slater's Plastikard has a small range of wheels for continental prototypes, see here.

Interesting to see that. Amusing that they choose to give dimensions in inches :-)

Broadly speaking the UK appears to be the world centre of 'aftermarket' model steam loco driving wheels, across the scales from h0 up. I'd be very happy to be corrected on this though!

Guest WM183

Hi Guys,

Sorry I missed the replies! 

Slaters' may actually have what I am looking for. I want to get a couple of smaller Nebenbahn sort locos, perhaps a 91 and an 86 or the like. I suppose the smart money is to just go H0, but building things is the lions share of the fun for me.

Can anyone recommend good books with lots of drawings (frame drawings, GA, etc) on BR 86 and BR 91? (The little Prussian 2-6-0t one)?

I can recommend the EK-Verlag books. Although I don't have the BR86 book in particular, many of these books have detailled drawings of components as well as GAs.

The BR86 book is currently out of print and quite expensive second hand. Check at the electrobay.

I am not aware of a comparable BR91 book.

Alternatively, you can get these drawing set: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Die-Baureihe-86-Das-Arbeitstier-fur-Nebenstrecken-A-Knipping-EK-verlag/265108612795?hash=item3db9b466bb:g:iJ8AAOSwEpJgZdi-#shpCntId

I am using one set to build a BR78 in the moment. They are directly scanned from original drawings and hence very detailled. However, sometimes, the condition of the original drawing was very poor, so it can happen that details are not readable.

Harry has a lot more drawings, including the T9. You need to contact him directly.

Michael

Guest WM183

Hi Michael,

What scale are you building your 78 in? And where are you obtaining parts if I might ask? Id love to see a bit of information about it sometime!

I'll get the Br 86 book. It looks to have good drawings inside!

Amanda

That will be a Gauge 0 machine. It is based on an ancient kit that was available some 30 years ago. Sadly, kit building is very uncommon in German Gauge 0. There are quite a lot of RTR locos and wagons, so no need to build anything from a kit. If you are looking for H0 parts, I would recommend Weinert , they have a very nice online catalogue. Gauge 0 is a lot more complicated, you might try MM Crottendorf or DCC4you .

cheers,

Michael