Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Abandoned rails in the road.....(or elsewhere...)

33C

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Those quarries around Croeser are fascinating, the old 'street' up there, with buildings either side, is a really interesting spot.  I've sheltered in those buildings for lunch breaks on a fair few walks over the years.  Last time we tried to get up there it had been blocked off at the Tanygrisau end due to a rockslide, the paths were temporarily sealed off.  It had reopened last year but the car park was heaving so we didn't stop.

I think my most surreal experience up there was a few years back when the Icelandic volcano had erupted, and the ash-clouds had grounded much of the air traffic.  Me and my wife were sat by the old trackbed part-way up to the place (where it runs near the old chapel) on a crystal-clear day, and she remarked how odd it was to have a completely clear sky with no con-trails.  Not a plane, no sounds of vehicles, not a person in sight, sat by a derelict building by an abandoned tramway up in the hills.  A very odd atmosphere.

The Cwmorthin valley is, without doubt, the quietest place I have ever been to - and I've visited some pretty remote spots, especially in the Southern Hemisphere.

You can feel and see the industrial history all around you, and that it should have the noisy clamour of a population at work; the total silence and stillness is almost as if time has stopped dead! It can be a little unnerving.

John Isherwood.

• Like 5

It certainly is an odd sort of place, but well worth the effort of getting up there. No abandoned rails in this picture, but sleepers! On the trackbed between the top of the Rhosydd incline and the mine. Vapour trails in this - it was 2009!

Croesor Rhosydd Quarry  22 August 2009 Canon A610 (13).JPG

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Tim V said:

It certainly is an odd sort of place, but well worth the effort of getting up there. No abandoned rails in this picture, but sleepers! On the trackbed between the top of the Rhosydd incline and the mine. Vapour trails in this - it was 2009!

Croesor Rhosydd Quarry  22 August 2009 Canon A610 (13).JPG

What sort of speed were the wagons doing going down the incline!!  It looks like they have built in cant to the base of the formation so the wagons can corner at high speed :D

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

What sort of speed were the wagons doing going down the incline!!  It looks like they have built in cant to the base of the formation so the wagons can corner at high speed :D

Haha, this bit is level! However, how did this Ffestiniog slate wagon get to this location at the bottom of the incline? 1987

Croesor September 1987 OM1 269-001.jpg

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Tim V said:

Haha, this bit is level! However, how did this Ffestiniog slate wagon get to this location at the bottom of the incline? 1987

Bl**dy sheep, that's how.

Look at them, acting all innocent in the background, they've been skating on them.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Axlebox said:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1408456@N24/pool/page7

With our American cousins, its sometimes difficult to work out what has been abandoned and what hasn't...don't blame me if you get addicted to this, I just sent you the link!

Oh wow that's another rabbit hole to get lost in.

I'm worried this building is watching me though!

ghost spur

• Like 8
  • Funny 6

Today, an abandoned yard in Carlisle alongside the line via Dalston, some remaining items of kit and some rails embedded in concrete.  Pictures taken at the last moment from a train, camera in decline too.

1507338157_144122cCarlisle.jpg.eb161362ec0b1860ba96fd417e51a16e.jpg

340649245_144132cCarlisle.jpg.ed383cd02b048236a0f323bd434fd61f.jpg

Another entry that's only just clipping the edge of this theme's target, the remains of the goods yard road entrance at Aspatria with the pivot base and a curved rail that once supported the outer end of a gate.

IMG_20210424_111815.jpg.1dd984cfb6c80c6abdb641008780834b.jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Engineer said:

Today, an abandoned yard in Carlisle alongside the line via Dalston, some remaining items of kit and some rails embedded in concrete.  Pictures taken at the last moment from a train, camera in decline too.

1507338157_144122cCarlisle.jpg.eb161362ec0b1860ba96fd417e51a16e.jpg

340649245_144132cCarlisle.jpg.ed383cd02b048236a0f323bd434fd61f.jpg

Another entry that's only just clipping the edge of this theme's target, the remains of the goods yard road entrance at Aspatria with the pivot base and a curved rail that once supported the outer end of a gate.

IMG_20210424_111815.jpg.1dd984cfb6c80c6abdb641008780834b.jpg

Quality photo's. Love the capstans! And that is certainly a rail in the the road! 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Engineer, the first two photos are the remains of Carlisle Currock Wagon Repair Depot. Originally it was a locomotive depot, owned by the Glasgow & South Western Railway but built next to the Maryport & Carlisle Railway.

• Informative/Useful 3

20210428_121119.jpg.fce34070a270270c82f91d082adb10e4.jpg

What about these tram lines next to Low Moor station West Yorkshire I believe were part of a failed transport museum the land was used as industrial for a while but now the building has been demolished and the tracks now stop where the building was.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2021 at 19:12, Axlebox said:

I don't remember where this view came from and will remove if anyone objects...but there is the rail you can see in street view

Now where's that pic of you sitting atop that gatepost?

• Funny 1

On 23/04/2021 at 18:30, Axlebox said:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1408456@N24/pool/page7

With our American cousins, its sometimes difficult to work out what has been abandoned and what hasn't...don't blame me if you get addicted to this, I just sent you the link!

Indeed. I remember, during my first trip to N. America walking down a street in Savannah Ga. which had a clearly abandoned track running down it towards the docks with rusting rails, flangeways filled in etc.

Then  I heard a diesel horn and a train appeared carefully picking its way down the street. The flangeways had merely filled with dirt and looked rather different once the train had passed. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Been meaning to post this for a while but it's been rather difficult taking and posting pictures of work when you're working from home!

Now back in the office so here's the isolated remains of the scissors crossover at at what was then known as Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies, Ipswich.  We had a branch off the Felixstowe branch, this is all that remains of the private lines, I guess it wasn't in the way and probably too much trouble to lift.  Just across from it by our catchpit is another reminder of the links to the branch, an LNER concrete hut continues in use as a store.

Martin

Ransomes-Scissors.jpg

Ransomes-Concrete-Hut.jpg

Edited by mcowgill
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, mcowgill said:

Been meaning to post this for a while but it's been rather difficult taking and posting pictures of work when you're working from home!

Now back in the office so here's the isolated remains of the scissors crossover at at what was then known as Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies, Ipswich.  We had a branch off the Felixstowe branch, this is all that remains of the private lines, I guess it wasn't in the way and probably too much trouble to lift.  Just across from it by our catchpit is another reminder of the links to the branch, an LNER concrete hut continues in use as a store.

Martin

Ransomes-Scissors.jpg

Ransomes-Concrete-Hut.jpg

Glad you posted it, quality scissors and the ultimate shed!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

Indeed. I remember, during my first trip to N. America walking down a street in Savannah Ga. which had a clearly abandoned track running down it towards the docks with rusting rails, flangeways filled in etc.

Then  I heard a diesel horn and a train appeared carefully picking its way down the street. The flangeways had merely filled with dirt and looked rather different once the train had passed. 

Sounds like River Street.

There was even a loco specially painted and carried the name "River Street Rambler" - flickr pic

21st August 1995. Shared Access. The River Street Rambler No. 1733, Savannah, Georgia. USA

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There was even a loco specially painted and carried the name "River Street Rambler" - flickr pic

21st August 1995. Shared Access. The River Street Rambler No. 1733, Savannah, Georgia. USA

I believe the line along River Street is no longer used.

It did have a tourist trolley service for a few years, but I saw no evidence of that when I was there 4 years ago.

• Informative/Useful 2

59 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I believe the line along River Street is no longer used.

It did have a tourist trolley service for a few years, but I saw no evidence of that when I was there 4 years ago.

The River Street Branch wasn't much used in 1971 either. It would have been River Street where I saw it,  It was early in the morning and several of us had arrived on the Greyhound Bus from Washington DC so we were looking for a cafe for breakfast, my first experienc of grits. At that time there were a lot of, mostly disused, rails in American streets including a couple of obscure interurban/trolley lines in New England that had closed to passengers long before but had carried on being used for freight well into the 1960s. 

According to Wiki, the Norfolk & Southern RR ran the River Street Rambler until 2003 (I'm not sure which of its constiuents ran it in 1971) after which the track was sold to the city who ran a heritage trolley (a Melbourne tram converted to biodiesel) up and down it from 2009 until it was quietly suspended in 2015. I think it's technically still temporarily closed but noody seems to know whether it will ever run again. 

I think we saw it well down river from "historic River street". It certainly wasn't cobbled but the waterfront has been so "regenerated" since then that it's hard to say .

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

See, it's pictures like that, that will be enough to get me to model an American short-line.  Massive, characterful switcher loco, cobbled streets, trees... looks almost like a US-version of the Weymouth line :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

The River Street Branch wasn't much used in 1971 either. It would have been River Street where I saw it,  It was early in the morning and several of us had arrived on the Greyhound Bus from Washington DC so we were looking for a cafe for breakfast, my first experienc of grits. At that time there were a lot of, mostly disused, rails in American streets including a couple of obscure interurban/trolley lines in New England that had closed to passengers long before but had carried on being used for freight well into the 1960s. 

According to Wiki, the Norfolk & Southern RR ran the River Street Rambler until 2003 (I'm not sure which of its constiuents ran it in 1971) after which the track was sold to the Department of Transportation who ran a heritage trolley (a Melbourne tram converted to biodiesel) up and down it from 2009 until it was quietly suspended in 2015. I think it's technically still temorarily closed but noody seems to know whether it will ever run again. 

I think we saw it well down river from "historic River street". It certainly wasn't cobbled but the waterfront has been so "regenerated" since then that it's hard to say .

I've just looked at it on Streetview, you can see the rather nice tram/trolley cars in a shed at one of the line, but evidently the street has been recorded at different times, as between the tramshed and the 'scenic' section there's a massive building redevelopment and the rails are gone.  Guess somebody decided the railway was standing in the way of progress...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

I've just looked at it on Streetview, you can see the rather nice tram/trolley cars in a shed at one of the line, but evidently the street has been recorded at different times, as between the tramshed and the 'scenic' section there's a massive building redevelopment and the rails are gone.  Guess somebody decided the railway was standing in the way of progress...

If you follow it through in 2017 (when the tram car is in the shed) the rails peter out into the tarmac at the end of E River St.

Going the other direction, by then the track was abandoned (the exit from that end of the shed is blocked).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1