Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Abandoned rails in the road.....(or elsewhere...)

33C

4 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Interesting that the road markings are still there and relatively intact long after the barriers etc were removed.  

The rails forming level crossings are often left in-situ even when the rest of the line has long-since been lifted. This, in highway law terms, means that the level crossing still exists and could be reinstated in the unlikely event of the line being relaid.

If, on the other hand, the crossing rails were lifted, legal permission to install a level crossing would have to be sought and granted if the line were to be relaid; such permissions are very rarely granted nowadays.

I suppose that the highway authority takes the view that, if the crossing still exists in law, it should have the legally required markings.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, ianmacc said:

From an environmental perspective we should be aiming to recover it all. 

From a commercial perspective I suspect that much of the tracks around the country would now cost more to access and remove than could be realised in their reuse or recycling value.

I've heard there's a team of very hard working gentlemen who drive beaten up pick up trucks and there uniform is a dirty vest!....the supervisors use the same dirty vest but are accessoried by ripped holes in said uniform! I'm sure if the price was right thay would help network rail in a 'recovery' scheme.....!

Thankfully  scrap yards won't touch rail with a length of 650v rated steel armored signaling cable ......other wise we would all be on buses

• Like 1

Just back from a holiday in Cornwall.  Interesting to see that the rails are still in the road at Dunmere Crossing on the old B&W.  Also rails and crossing gates still present on the Par Harbour line through St Blazey.  Didn't have time to stop for photos.......

• Like 3

How about some abandoned rails in the sand?

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_02.JPG.3e8679cfca0a63ffb542e7d13352bf92.JPG

I ticked something off my railways bucket list this summer, with a ride on the Fairbourne (I'm trying to do all the Welsh narrow-gauge railways, some I've never been on like this one, some I've not been on since I was a kid).  Anyway, we tried to do Fairbourne in early-August, as all the stuff about the place being progressively abandoned because of sea level rises meant I wanted to make sure we got in a visit just in case the railway decided to up-sticks and move pre-emptively.  The weather on the first attempt was appalling so we settled for a recce and a brew at the end of the line.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_01.JPG.0f6296982e75c3636c795583f4eba208.JPG

Whilst wandering around the dunes, I spotted this buffer stop adjacent to the active running line.  I can remember loads of times standing on the quayside at Barmouth and watching trains negotiating the balloon-loop in the dunes, and hadn't realised it had been abandoned.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_03.JPG.8c751c43a33b172c904040038860cc22.JPG

The track is in good nick, but rapidly disappearing beneath the dunes, the perennial problem on this line.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_04.JPG.3ae52c894a77d0f7aaba05bb6c10d6e4.JPG

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_05.JPG.4bee3505950f0737778f9566ab8f50c4.JPG

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_06.JPG.c71b1e677298a07a17fac0c682f796a5.JPG

At Barmouth Ferry station; the buffer stop I found first would suggest the line was maintained for a while as a long siding, but has now been properly abandoned.  Surprised they didn't try to recover the rail, it all looks in good nick.  Also note the miniature (7 1/4-inch) tracks too...

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_07.JPG.7a18bf715d60afd41f08a876ae7d24f5.JPG

...that looks equally abandoned, though I'm informed it has been used at gala times.  I'd guess it's just been left unused these last two seasons because of Covid.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Railway_BARMOUTH-FERRY_Hunslet_GWRIL_07_08.21_06.JPG.58b1a64c5410a66000fb0a0407004f28.JPG

Just to show the railway was running on the day.  I'm pleased to say we made it back for a ride later in the month in rather better weather, and the railway was reassuringly busy too.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Ben B said:

How about some abandoned rails in the sand?

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_02.JPG.3e8679cfca0a63ffb542e7d13352bf92.JPG

I ticked something off my railways bucket list this summer, with a ride on the Fairbourne (I'm trying to do all the Welsh narrow-gauge railways, some I've never been on like this one, some I've not been on since I was a kid).  Anyway, we tried to do Fairbourne in early-August, as all the stuff about the place being progressively abandoned because of sea level rises meant I wanted to make sure we got in a visit just in case the railway decided to up-sticks and move pre-emptively.  The weather on the first attempt was appalling so we settled for a recce and a brew at the end of the line.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_01.JPG.0f6296982e75c3636c795583f4eba208.JPG

Whilst wandering around the dunes, I spotted this buffer stop adjacent to the active running line.  I can remember loads of times standing on the quayside at Barmouth and watching trains negotiating the balloon-loop in the dunes, and hadn't realised it had been abandoned.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_03.JPG.8c751c43a33b172c904040038860cc22.JPG

The track is in good nick, but rapidly disappearing beneath the dunes, the perennial problem on this line.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_04.JPG.3ae52c894a77d0f7aaba05bb6c10d6e4.JPG

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_05.JPG.4bee3505950f0737778f9566ab8f50c4.JPG

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_06.JPG.c71b1e677298a07a17fac0c682f796a5.JPG

At Barmouth Ferry station; the buffer stop I found first would suggest the line was maintained for a while as a long siding, but has now been properly abandoned.  Surprised they didn't try to recover the rail, it all looks in good nick.  Also note the miniature (7 1/4-inch) tracks too...

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Rails-in-the-sand_Aug_21_07.JPG.7a18bf715d60afd41f08a876ae7d24f5.JPG

...that looks equally abandoned, though I'm informed it has been used at gala times.  I'd guess it's just been left unused these last two seasons because of Covid.

BEN_BUCKI_Fairbourne_Railway_BARMOUTH-FERRY_Hunslet_GWRIL_07_08.21_06.JPG.58b1a64c5410a66000fb0a0407004f28.JPG

Just to show the railway was running on the day.  I'm pleased to say we made it back for a ride later in the month in rather better weather, and the railway was reassuringly busy too.

I understand one of the reasons given for the abandonment of the balloon loop (in an article in Narrow Gauge World a few years ago) is that the coaches only have doors on one side. On the other hand it would still make sense to use it to turn the locos light so is there more to it than that? I think the 7 1/4" line is relatively new but as you say is only used occasionally.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 24/08/2021 at 15:49, Martync said:

Just back from a holiday in Cornwall.  Interesting to see that the rails are still in the road at Dunmere Crossing on the old B&W.  Also rails and crossing gates still present on the Par Harbour line through St Blazey.  Didn't have time to stop for photos.......

Good job the rails are still in the crossing of the Par Harbour line as it's still in use :lol:

I'm always surprised Dunmere Crossing still has its rails as it's easy to ground a low vehicle on them......

Edited by nat37670
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, nat37670 said:

I'm always surprised Dunmere Crossing still has its rails as it's easy to ground a low vehicle on them......

Not really - once those rails are removed there is zero chance of the line being reinstated for currently unforeseen demand for china clay. There is still plenty of china clay on Bodmin Moor; who knows what future requirements will be.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

I understand one of the reasons given for the abandonment of the balloon loop (in an article in Narrow Gauge World a few years ago) is that the coaches only have doors on one side. On the other hand it would still make sense to use it to turn the locos light so is there more to it than that? I think the 7 1/4" line is relatively new but as you say is only used occasionally.

I wonder if it's just the problem of drifting sands; I gather when the second 'fake' tunnel was on the now-abandoned loop, it had to be demolished as it acted like a sand-trap when the prevailing wind blew in from the sea.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

I wonder if it's just the problem of drifting sands; I gather when the second 'fake' tunnel was on the now-abandoned loop, it had to be demolished as it acted like a sand-trap when the prevailing wind blew in from the sea.

Having looked elsewhere it seems cost of maintenance was a factor, but how much more expensive is it really?

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Having looked elsewhere it seems cost of maintenance was a factor, but how much more expensive is it really?

Remember the Fairbourne Railway is very different to most Welsh Narrow Gauge railways; it's a business that operates heritage equipment (almost new equipment compared to others) with a small volunteer supporters association, not a preserved historic railway operated mostly by volunteers.  If something costs them money, they will invest to reduce the operating costs or if it's not operationally essential, simply cease using it.

Considering the village of Fairbourne has already been identified as one of those to be sacrificed to rising sea levels (meaning sea defences will not be raised to compensate), it may not be so far off that the business has to re-locate altogether.  I've often thought sharing the footpath/cycleway from Morfa Mawddach would be a more than adequate replacement for the current site/route. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nat37670 said:

Good job the rails are still in the crossing of the Par Harbour line as it's still in use :lol:

Judging by the rust on the rails on the Par Harbour line, there hadn't been much traffic lately................

A disused line off Ashton Vale Road in Bristol. It was connected to the Portishead to Bristol line, which is just on the right of the building. You can see this old line on Google map. According to old maps there used to be a Ashton Vale Works/Colliery on the site. Today Babcock International Group stands on the site. Taken on 22nd August 2021

236634063_1091558808318198_6654894837774493628_n.jpg

236891953_1091558801651532_4566917230953452302_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

A couple from memory.... remnants of the MoD railway at Spurn Point. Mostly fragmented due to the constantly changing topography of the sand spit..... the (recently removed) level crossing on the Wisbech bypass (A47) which survived to be incorporated into the new road, in the 1990s although I doubt that any train ever crossed it. Dockside lines at Victoria Dock, Plymouth - long disused but still in situ

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, nat37670 said:

It runs weekly either Weds or Thurs a.m.   https://flickr.com/photos/nat37670/51314007698/in/dateposted/

66125 traversed the line just over 51 hours ago as I type this - see the 'Kernow Today' thread (or Cornwall Railway Society website - Latest input). A very rare afternoon visit (which I missed  :banghead:!)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't think I've ever posted this; taken in 1989 it's an abandoned connection from the East end of the yard to the Down main, crossing the access road to Margam depot.  The bridge in the background is the Ogmore Vale line from Tondu.

DSC00141.JPG.6d6f08c90855575c7a06b73131a02479.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Cheekypaul said:

A disused line off Ashton Vale Road in Bristol. It was connected to the Portishead to Bristol line, which is just on the right of the building. You can see this old line on Google map. According to old maps there used to be a Ashton Vale Works/Colliery on the site. Today Babcock International Group stands on the site. Taken on 22nd August 2021

236634063_1091558808318198_6654894837774493628_n.jpg

236891953_1091558801651532_4566917230953452302_n.jpg

That's interesting as it's grooved rail (tramway track) rather than the more usual checkrailed track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1