A few LMS coaches finally completed and weathered

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Finally managed to get theses coaches finished to "road dirt" level.. I now need to go back to the chassis

914461508_CometPdIIIBFKgood.JPG.0816e9dcf7576f8251714337a7003cee.JPG

A Stanier Pd III BFK. It is a bitza with Comet sides, comet roof, a scratchbuilt chassis and 247 cast ends

1136045577_CometPdIFK.JPG.1b85d20e3b66e315cd13fa008ba36773.JPG

Next up A FK. I think these are also Comet sides, same roof and 246 casting for the ends, underframe gear etc.

1057875747_BSLPeriodIIIComposite.JPG.594d61b388203218cd58165ef8d3e771.JPG

And last, but not least a BSL Period II Composite Open. This is a rebuilt BSL coach.

All run on Bachmann bogies. Most have Kadees fitted to the coach floors except for the DG fitted on one end of the  BFK.

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Those D1748 2-window FKs, with their 7'6" wide compartments, were presumably used in the very best expresses out of Euston when new. I wonder how they were used in the 50s? There can't have been many second or third rank services that called for such an extravagance of first class accommodation. 

Withdrawn between 1959 and 1961 - did they even get BR maroon?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Those D1748 2-window FKs, with their 7'6" wide compartments, were presumably used in the very best expresses out of Euston when new. I wonder how they were used in the 50s? There can't have been many second or third rank services that called for such an extravagance of first class accommodation. 

It is possible that they ended up in special sets for race traffic, and IIRC there was still some ocean liner traffic at Liverpool in the 1950s so they may have been used for that too.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There was something in one of Jenkinson's writings about spotting one in a train and directing his then girl friend to an ex-first compartment in a twin windowed composite.

It does strike my as very unlike the LMS to make up trains of a specific style of coach. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

There was something in one of Jenkinson's writings about spotting one in a train and directing his then girl friend to an ex-first compartment in a twin windowed composite.

It seems to me the take-home point in that sentence is "his then girl friend"...

1 hour ago, billbedford said:

It does strike my as very unlike the LMS to make up trains of a specific style of coach. 

As far as I can tell, what mattered was the accommodation, not the appearance. Which is why LMS carriages started out Midland in elevation but LNWR in plan - and stayed the latter, by and large. The LNWR was by far the dominant constituent on the passenger side, having the lion's share of the business.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Withdrawn between 1959 and 1961 - did they even get BR maroon?

It may have been revarnished  LMS lined crimson or Carmine and Cream,  but  this one may have just got through the works with a repaint due to Rule 1...

Baz

• Like 2