Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Fantastic!

Well done, the work you have done so far looks really good.

I hope you do really well with it, you deserve to!

Simon Castens

Are you getting an account? Would be rather good to buy the set from the Titfield Thunderbolt! ;) 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Just read the email - love it :D

Can't really afford it now but if an instalments thing is available I'll go for a full set of the train as I love the film and more than happy to invoke rule 1.

edit: Just checked and I bought the DVD April last year but only actually watched it in January - first time in 30 years or so. I'd forgotten how good it was but definitely something in the water for two companies to go for the rights.

Edited by Bucoops

Well now.  That is excellent news.  Well done Rapido.

I am very attracted to the Titfield themed sets. Rule No.1 frippery, of course, but they will be irresistibly superb and I'm all for the sort of unalloyed fun they represent.

But this, this appears to be a render of Lion (not in the Thunderbolt guise).  If this is released, I think, for me, the Hornby version is likely to be relegated to happy hacking.  

The Alpha Lion:

1289628201_Pic9.jpg.fb6bcf835552d3b962803c4ecdab4e16.jpg.1a52fba4dae5af7a93c6974ca9749c3e.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

But this, this appears to be a render of Lion (not in the Thunderbolt guise).  If this is released, I think, for me, the Hornby version is likely to be relegated to happy hacking. 

Rapido UK News 3 says Lion is being done in post-1928 condition.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Well now.  That is excellent news.  Well done Rapido.

I am very attracted to the Titfield themed sets. Rule No.1 frippery, of course, but they will be irresistibly superb and I'm all for the sort of unalloyed fun they represent.

The Alpha Lion:

1289628201_Pic9.jpg.fb6bcf835552d3b962803c4ecdab4e16.jpg.1a52fba4dae5af7a93c6974ca9749c3e.jpg

If you look at the CAD you will see the different images show some subtle differences. There are quite a number between Lion in 1930, Thunderbolt in the film and Lion now. We have some cunning plans...

• Like 7

For anyone that asks about the screws on the ends of the axles :

To make servicing the model, and assembly etc easier this is probably the best solution. However we will be including etches in a poly bag that include a number (and some spare) of crank axle covers that can be carefully glued in place to cover the screw to give an authentic look for those who wish it. Remember they will be tiny!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

Out of curiosity, are there any plans to release the models in their "civilian" identities, e.g. the coach in GER livery? I'll no doubt be picking up a Great Eastern coach either way.

EDIT: Sorry, this thread moves fast, I didn't see that the question had already been asked

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Rapido UK News 3 says Lion is being done in post-1928 condition.

Anthony Dawson doesn't think much of the accuracy of any of the L&M replicas from the period, and has Views concerning the brass-domed firebox put on the restored Lion.  

I understand that it is not thought the boiler on Lion when she was 'found' was original in any case, and I further understand that the intention in 1930 was to restore her to 1840s condition.  How accurate that was, I wouldn't like to say, however, It is probably fair to say that the only period Lion certainty looked like this is post-restoration. 

Having said that, the picture below (posted by Devo63) looks awfully like the Todd Kitson & Laird 0-4-2s of the ilk supplied to the L&M.  Merely the boiler fittings and some minor details differ.  Lo and behold, it appears to have a rather similar firebox cover, suggesting that the choice made in the case of Lion in 1930 might not have been inappropriate.   That said, look carefully and it becomes apparent that what looks like the 'hay stack' firebox is actually further back than Lion's and occupying the footplate, which may suggest that isn't what we are seeing. 

At any rate, the picture might support the idea that some similar locos may have run with such fireboxes at some stage of their lives, though, clearly Stephenson's Samson type 0-4-2s did not when built. 

772333485_Venus0-4-2BuilthWells02.jpg.7b23db264163251d7cc5f0678863f269.jpg

38 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

We have some cunning plans...

:D

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1