Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Rapido on this exciting venture! We wish them every success.

The Titfield Thunderbolt was the top-voted item in The Quirky Poll 2020. (Bellerophon was second, and that was announced by KR models late last year.)

In The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 (the last Poll to run), we listed the GWR Brake Van AA21 whereas Rapido has gone for the AA20. We also listed the Loriot, albeit under the combined heading of LMS/LNER/GWR/BR Loriot - that was less than a handful of votes outside the High Polling segment.

All the best to all.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, jamesC37LG said:

Is there provision for GER No.8 to be released as a GER vehicle without the buffet section? Or will it only be tooled as per the film (and as represented by No.7 in pres?) 

Watch this space ;-)

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

" Our magnificent generals, General Gordon and General Booth"

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

For those wondering if it was an April Fools joke, you really should subscribe to the Rapido UK Newsletter - the story of why it was announced this way is explained (and if you really don't want to subscribe, the newsletters are after a delay put on the website).

Newsletter sign-up page - https://rapidotrains.co.uk/newsletter/

(it also covers why no 14XX - for now at least)

Edited by mdvle
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Helmdon said:

well that was an easy pre-order...

Not sure what Thunderbolt (or a Precedent and a rake of Genesis LNWR coaches) is doing on the 1950s GCLE but there we go...

Filming a movie? :)

• Funny 2

43 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Anthony Dawson doesn't think much of the accuracy of any of the L&M replicas from the period, and has Views concerning the brass-domed firebox put on the restored Lion.  

I understand that it is not thought the boiler on Lion when she was 'found' was original in any case, and I further understand that the intention in 1930 was to restore her to 1840s condition.  How accurate that was, I wouldn't like to say, however, It is probably fair to say that the only period Lion certainty looked like this is post-restoration. 

Having said that, the picture below (posted by Devo63) looks awfully like the Todd Kitson & Laird 0-4-2s of the ilk supplied to the L&M.  Merely the boiler fittings and some minor details differ.  Lo and behold, it appears to have a rather similar firebox cover, suggesting that the choice made in the case of Lion in 1930 might not have been inappropriate.   That said, look carefully and it becomes apparent that what looks like the 'hay stack' firebox is actually further back than Lion's and occupying the footplate, which may suggest that isn't what we are seeing. 

At any rate, the picture might support the idea that some similar locos may have run with such fireboxes at some stage of their lives, though, clearly Stephenson's Samson type 0-4-2s did not when built. 

772333485_Venus0-4-2BuilthWells02.jpg.7b23db264163251d7cc5f0678863f269.jpg

:D

looks like it is a spectacle plate but without the spectacles...

42 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Watch this space ;-)

Oooh yes please, The preserved Tramcar plus another GE era one for me please (Can you also convince model rail to do a GER J70 finally with your tooling ;))

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Team Traction said:

Oooh yes please, The preserved Tramcar plus another GE era one for me please (Can you also convince model rail to do a GER J70 finally with your tooling ;))

Or C53, as some of us persist in thinking of it.

Why not (looks over his shoulder to check that Mr Kohler isn't watching) corner the whole Wisbech & Upwell scene? 

Do  the 4-wheel tramcars, Brake No.16 and G15 0-4-0?

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Or C53, as some of us persist in thinking of it.

Why not (looks over his shoulder to check that Mr Kohler isn't watching) corner the whole Wisbech & Upwell scene? 

Do  the 4-wheel tramcars, Brake No.16 and G15 0-4-0?

Yes silly me, I should refer to it as C53. saying J70 for those who may not know.

To be quite frank, it would be silly not to do a 4w tramcar and to an extension possibly the G15 as they have a vast amount of adaptable components. Indeed, when working with the company Digital Traction to produce Virtual wisbech coaches, we made the 4 wheel variant and then used the same CAD for the bogie coach, just obviously lengthened!

For another quality april fool prank Rapido should announce the proposed double decker tram coach. Drawings were made but it was never built, essentially it just added a row of open air seating to an existing bogie coach, and it looked utterly mad! I have drawings rapido ;);)

Edited by Team Traction
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

No doubt late GWR / BR(W) modellers are salivating at the thought of a high-quality AA20. Could be the hottest ticket of the bunch?

It would have to be very good to equal Hornby's AA15. Rapido's is not available separate from the set, it would seem, likewise the Loriot Y.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

It would have to be very good to equal Hornby's AA15. Rapido's is not available separate from the set, it would seem, likewise the Loriot Y.

They do mention that:

"All models, including film and non-film versions will be available through Rapido Trains UK stockists or direct from www.rapidotrains.co.uk Identities and guises for non-Titfield models – as well as prices for all models – are still to be confirmed." (emphasis mine)

It looks like they plan to produce non-Titfield models, presumably available individually.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 90rob said:

Attention Hattons! There should be enough time to get together with EFE/Bachmann to turn out a revamped DJM 14xx as 1401....

Um, would seem to be ideal, but given the frosty relations between Bachmann and Hattons...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking at the current renders of Lion/Thunderbolt, it appears that the trailing axle springs (below frame height) have been incorrectly copied across onto the driving axles whilst they also have their own correct springs (above frame height). The prototype is not double spring in this way. Don't mean to gripe but it just seems an odd mistake on an otherwise excellent looking design.

Very much looking forward to seeing the figures!

Edited by I.C.L. 11
Clarification
  • Like 2