Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

It is amazing how many differences there are on the loco between its spells of operation and display since 1930.

You'd hardly think it was the engine built in 1838...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 90rob said:

Attention Hattons! There should be enough time to get together with EFE/Bachmann to turn out a revamped DJM 14xx as 1401....

Er no. Don't encourage them. I had three. None were fit for purpose. Looked great but wouldn't run properly. All were returned. 

Any redesign of the chassis would impact on the body due to the mounting of the motor. 

So, surely better to tear it up and start again. 

Rob. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Er no. Don't encourage them. I had three. None were fit for purpose. Looked great but wouldn't run properly. All were returned. 

Any redesign of the chassis would impact on the body due to the mounting of the motor. 

So, surely better to tear it up and start again. 

Rob. 

My two are still going strong - both DC and good smooth runners. I would not build a layout based around them though - nowhere near rugged enough I suspect, a

nd no way to repair when they do pack up. As you say, back to the drawing board....

Edited by 90rob
Missed a bit.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 90rob said:

My two are still going strong - both DC and good smooth runners. I would not build a layout based around them though - nowhere near rugged enough I suspect, and no way to repair when they do pack up.

Mine were destined for a Culm Valley project but the atrocious running of my examples put an end to that. 

I think there is a market for new 14xx. One that will run well, is repairable if it goes wrong and will match the level of detail on these releases. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

There is an issue with the 14xx in that Rapido now have the rights so it would need to be a friendly approach through them I suspect. Richard did say on the website though that they thought there were other good models out there so that suggests they might be agreeable to sharing it for a small fee. I suspect Hattons might be a more favourable partner after Hornby tried to steal their thunder ;)

I agree the Hattons 14xx needs a new chassis but the body moulding could still be used if they have that from the debacle that followed. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I don't see how Rapido can have the rights to a 14xx, or even to 1401, since StudioCanal could never have had those rights in the first place. I don't see that there's anything to stop anybody producing a 14xx in any scale — but of course they couldn't link it to the film. Obviously if 1401 was decorated in a special livery for the film, then that livery couldn't be done.

Just as Hornby can't produce "Titfield Thunderbolt", but can produce Lion.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I don't see how Rapido can have the rights to a 14xx, or even to 1401, since StudioCanal could never have had those rights in the first place.

Because we are talking about the film version where it carried a unique livery for the film with the lettering scrubbed out so it is unique in the filming livery. Much like Thunderbolt is different to Lion. 
They can make 1401 in GWR livery without issue but not black with ghosted lettering ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

The Titfield packs are not yet available to pre-order. For those who have read the newsletter (soon to be on the website) we have stated the reasons for our announcement being earlier than planned. Once the final prices are confirmed we will be in a position(along with our retailers) to take pre-orders.

Watch this space!

Edited by rapidoandy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Round of applause 1

26 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Mine were destined for a Culm Valley project but the atrocious running of my examples put an end to that. 

Great minds think alike! Mine was to be a sort of mirror image, but after a lot of thought I  decided that if I ever got round to it then would have to run  with 03s and class 22s. Shelved the idea.

• Like 1

Interesting read of the newsletter.  I hope the OB gets released in non-film liveries (I would be surprised if it doesn't) so can I pre book a Warstones of Great Wyrley and a Crosville OB in the future?  Ta muchly.

On the 14xx debate, and taking on board Rapido explain they are maxed out with developments, given the demise of the Hattons manufacturing partner, I wonder if a negotiation might be had with Hattons about acquiring the rights to the model, and hopefully re-engineering it to actually work?  It would surely give Rapido a head start and not add too much to workload and I assume that Hattons would welcome the chance to re-issue the model with fewer technical problems.  Seems like a win-win all round.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

The Titfield packs are not yet available to pre-order. For those who have read the newsletter (soon to be on the website) we have stated the reasons for our announcement being earlier than planned. Once the final prices are confirmed we will be in a position(along with our retailers) to take pre-orders.

Watch this space!

That's a little concerning, given that Rails have got it up for pre-order (I have, notwithstanding not knowing the price) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

so can I pre book a Warstones

I've already started nagging Andy!

A few more people shouting up wouldn't go amiss. 

@Covkid and @08221 come to mind.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Ooooh, can't beat the Green Bus Company - legendary locally, although Chase came a close second with their battered Leyland Nationals until well into the 2000's!

Edited by 08221
Spilling
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, 08221 said:

Ooooh, can't beat the Green Bus Company - legendary locally, although Chase came a close second with their battered Leyland Nationals until well into the 2000's!

I had the good fortune to ride both their OB and OWB when I lived in the area on their lovely Cannock to Lichfield market day bus round all the back lanes, a real traditional country market day bus service.  Of course, all the regulars must have thought it highly amusing their bus was suddenly full of bus enthusiasts sampling this blast from the past.  Also I'd often catch their halfcab deckers on the Rugeley to Wolverhampton which again was a wonderful throwback to the days of the old Green Bus of Rugeley.  Such a shame the company ended the way it did.

• Like 5

For those interested about the other vehicles and a source for 1.76 examles. Springside do a very good Aveling and Porter road roller kit RV73 which I think can be built without the awning, RTR from Oxford diecast  APR001. The squires Morris Cowley from Scalelink https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Vehicles___Scale_1_76__OO_.html scroll down. I can't currently find a model for the 1934 Morris Commercial.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, w124bob said:

For those interested about the other vehicles and a source for 1.76 examles. Springside do a very good Aveling and Porter road roller kit RV73 which I think can be built without the awning, RTR from Oxford diecast  APR001. The squires Morris Cowley from Scalelink https://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Vehicles___Scale_1_76__OO_.html scroll down. I can't currently find a model for the 1934 Morris Commercial.

Hopefully Rapido might have them in the pipeline.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, w124bob said:

Just found this http://tech-ops.co.uk/next/comments-on-television-programmes-2016/ scroll down for a few pictures of the 14xx on it's "road trip". Now I wonder if a Faller car system chassis could go under an old Airfix/Hornby body shell?

For that matter there's plenty of small cheap radio controlled models available.

• Like 1

Sadly it looks like the ex Mainly Trains/Wizard Models Airfix 14xx upgrade kit is showing out of stock as I have a Hornby incarnation somewhere for when my DJM expires. Back to Lion, I'm sure I read somewhere that it sustained minor frame damage during the filming, which if you know where to look is still evident. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I've already started nagging Andy!

A few more people shouting up wouldn't go amiss. 

@Covkid and @08221 come to mind.

They were "shedded" 200 yards from my house, but I don't regret those cold winter mornings when they were started up and revved up. Tell the truth I did miss a ride on a couple of the deckers and I think he had a couple of Leopard Cubs too. Wasn't so bothered about the older tat   

• Like 2