Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Did they ever make it to BR Crimson?

No, but the GER at one time painted their coaches crimson lake. I believe the one preserved on the NNR is finished in that livery. Talking of which, I hope they produce it with the original small wheels as the one on the NNR is fitted with larger wheels to bring the floor up to platform level.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

No, but the GER at one time painted their coaches crimson lake. I believe the one preserved on the NNR is finished in that livery. Talking of which, I hope they produce it with the original small wheels as the one on the NNR is fitted with larger wheels to bring the floor up to platform level.

The best idea would be to make it with large wheels and have a set of small wheels in the detailing pack so you have a choice of which height you want to run them at. If that adds too much to the total cost them maybe have small wheels as an extra. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 03/04/2021 at 12:16, The Stationmaster said:

Very definitely there in the 1960s when i was a regular visitor to the two stations in that vicinity for the purposes of travel and collecting numbers of various rail traction items.   I too think it was to the side of the steps but the entire vista as you go up the steps is now much more open that it used to be - the steps used to be shadowed a lot of the time from what I can remember.

Definitely present in this 1950s view

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-view-of-st-pancras-railway-station-london-as-seen-in-the-1950s-35459562.html

That 'alamy' photo, while headed as 1950s, must have been taken in the mid 1960s, the reason is the Evening Standard van in the foreground, which must be a Bedford HA, derived from the Vauxhall Viva. These were produced from 1963 onwards. I think the registration is a B OR C suffix  putting it into 1964/5 at the earliest.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for having introduced this OT diversion into that St Pancras excrescence. Let's be glad its gone. It's a shame the frontage of Kings Cross has never been de-cluttered, although what's there now makes the best of it. Can you imagine the frontage of the Gare du Nord being treated with such contempt?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

The best idea would be to make it with large wheels and have a set of small wheels in the detailing pack so you have a choice of which height you want to run them at. If that adds too much to the total cost them maybe have small wheels as an extra. 

The smaller wheeled version would be preferable because that is how they were built and as the coach appeared in the film. Its not a simple matter of swapping the wheels as this would effect the buffer and coupling heights. To my eyes the preserved example looks like a flamingo wearing moon boots.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The smaller wheeled version would be preferable because that is how they were built and as the coach appeared in the film. Its not a simple matter of swapping the wheels as this would effect the buffer and coupling heights. To my eyes the preserved example looks like a flamingo wearing moon boots.

I had not thought about buffer and coupling heights! Having thought about it I hope they do the film model with small wheels and the none film version with large wheels with the problems of height being sorted but that would add a lot of cost I fear so I will accept what arrives. I have two of the J70's and want to run them as a preservation line with passenger and freight services. 

IMG_20210401_012223.jpg

Edited by Chris116
Added photo
  • Like 5

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

On Farcebook there are people who believe the earth is flat.

Engaged in an eternal battle for supremacy with the massed armies of those who believe the world and universe revolves around them in their local groips. Having relinquished the ability to even Google information they assault the audience with constant requests for an urgent dog-groomer who can carpet the stairs whilst they're there and what time Macdonald's is open so that they're then only surrounded by an likeempty-minded army. No one else can survive in the rarified atmosphere of that IQ vacuum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Engaged in an eternal battle for supremacy with the massed armies of those who believe the world and universe revolves around them in their local groips. Having relinquished the ability to even Google information they assault the audience with constant requests for an urgent dog-groomer who can carpet the stairs whilst they're there and what time Macdonald's is open so that they're then only surrounded by an likeempty-minded army. No one else can survive in the rarified atmosphere of that IQ vacuum.

One of the downsides of social media is it gives the oxygen of publicity to those who spend their lives paddling in the shallow end of the gene puddle.  That said, if you want a laugh at those who seemingly can't tell truth from crapwittery, have a look at the RAF Luton Twitter feed.  It regularly reels in the professional offence takers despite some obviously nonsense postings.  I mean, Eurovision Typhoon jets?  Apache helicopter gunships enforcing Covid lockdowns?  Gets 'em every time.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

35 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

groips

Yoikes!   

Is that a new collective noun that encompasses all such as groups, that include gripers, , grouchers, grumblers, grousers, groaners, and those with a grievance?  (but not gricers).

G. Rumpie

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The GER did indeed. The query was BR though :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Some of us survived on it quite well and it proves very useful for staying in touch during lock-downs - especially through local groups which have been a real help during lock-down in villages where local help can be very useful. For instance, when the milkman doesn't deliver due to staff sickness and several days of dry cereal and black coffee are in prospect. Yes, there are some idiots - but that is true of all social media - the trick is to be able to recognise them.   Sorry if that gets me banned but so be it. (CJL)

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

On Farcebook there are people who believe the earth is flat.

Well we can see the edge where the ships disappear over.......so it must be.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Apologies for having introduced this OT diversion into that St Pancras excrescence. Let's be glad its gone. It's a shame the frontage of Kings Cross has never been de-cluttered, although what's there now makes the best of it. Can you imagine the frontage of the Gare du Nord being treated with such contempt?

Is it about time you revisited KX?

871E84E3-B004-4EE7-A5A8-F799EE3D0B47.jpe
37C4EB33-EF48-4624-8E21-30095929D250.jpe
3300A40E-684F-4532-A8F8-BEBCA80A4860.jpe

Photos from Wikipedia. 
All about as far from the Titfield Thunderbolt as it is possible to get!

Tim

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, CF MRC said:

Is it about time you revisited KX?

Yes, evidently. I've not been since the new atrium was built - I've only seen photos - so I hadn't appreciated where it was sited relative to the front curtain wall of the train sheds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's a shame the frontage of Kings Cross has never been de-cluttered,

Only people and poles  (Stainless not nationality) cluttering it up now.  :smile_mini2:

Kings-X-FrontageEditSm.jpg.3ec9517a7a4cdf6eeeaec65edc8af232.jpg

43 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

All about as far from the Titfield Thunderbolt as it is possible to get!

Aye but Kings Cross might just be the spot where Rapido announces their next secret train set project. Anyone for the Railway Children?  Or could it be Bed knobs & Broom handles? (Maybe that should be Bedsteads & Mattresses!).

RaiwayBedknobs-EditSM.jpg.de0ec5048b5b8a67c8262ce99cb92fea.jpg

Otto Pike.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

The GER did indeed. The query was BR though :)

They were last used on the Tollesbury branch until 1951 when they and the passenger service on that branch were withdrawn. They remained in LNER livery with only a letter E transfer in front of the number. The E was in a completely different style to the number.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

They were last used on the Tollesbury branch until 1951 when they and the passenger service on that branch were withdrawn. They remained in LNER livery with only a letter E transfer in front of the number. The E was in a completely different style to the number.

In its final BR condition, a photo shows it was LNER Brown but the old number with just the E transfer added was in fact tidied up by covering with a complete set of BR standard numerals and an E.   I am all for a model in this condition plus a set of the smaller diameter wheels for W&U use.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Got any photos of the mismatched numbering?
Digital Traction are making a virtual model of the Wisbech coach and are interested in including this livery if we have reference.

Regards.

11 minutes ago, Team Traction said:

Got any photos of the mismatched numbering?
Digital Traction are making a virtual model of the Wisbech coach and are interested in including this livery if we have reference.

Regards.

Is this what you refer to, photos from Peter Paye's The Tollesbury Branch book. 

Paul 

20210405_104455.jpg

20210405_104439.jpg

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The serif E in the first photo looks suspiciously as if it came from a transfer set for the initials LNER. (From the previous description I'd been expecting to see a Gill Sans E.) Are there any other known instances of stocks of LNER transfers being used up in this way?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The serif E in the first photo looks suspiciously as if it came from a transfer set for the initials LNER. (From the previous description I'd been expecting to see a Gill Sans E.) Are there any other known instances of stocks of LNER transfers being used up in this way?

i too was expecting a Gill Sans E... It must have been nicked from a spare transfer sheet as i cant see BR replicating the LNER style for a lowly branch coach! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1