Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Team Traction said:

Got any photos of the mismatched numbering?
Digital Traction are making a virtual model of the Wisbech coach and are interested in including this livery if we have reference.

Regards.

Oops, my mistake, it was one of the ex Stoke Ferry six wheelers. There was a slight mismatch on 60462 in that the E was of similar style but appears fractionally larger*. PaulG posted as I was typing this, The E was the same size but set slightly higher than the numbers as can be seen in Pauls photograph. I was going to mention as well the later repaint of the same carriage in brown with the BR style lettering (Gil Sands?). I too was looking at the Tollesbury branch book, there are some excellent close ups of the end balconies in there as well that should prove useful. IIRC in the film the balconies were unaltered. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The E was the same size but set slightly higher than the numbers as can be seen in Pauls photograph. 

Looking again more closely, I think the E is set on the same baseline as the number but is taller - it wouldn't at all surprise me to be told that the standard LNER lettering was taller than the standard LNER digit transfers. There's some difference in the shading on the bottom which I think is simple because the bottom of the E is flat and the 6 rounded. Also, the E may not have been varnished over.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking again at the photograph I think that the shading (blue?) on the numbers may have faded. In fact the original lettering/numbering would have faded as it was applied about ten years earlier. They carried the letters LNER at the opposite end of the waist panel that appears to be the same style and size as the numbers. This would probably be the source of the letter E. E60461 was the one repainted in brown with Gil Sands lettering, just a year before withdrawal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Ivor the Engine next please?

There is a rumour of a film...

I really hope its made by Aardman animations and surely Rob Brydon won't be in it...hes in just about everything west of the Severn...(other Welsh actors are available).

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Ivor the Engine next please?

There is a rumour of a film...

The rumour I heard was something live-action shot on a preserved line in Wales, but I haven't been able to find out much else.  I suppose with the sort of cgi-enhancing possible now, shooting somewhere like Corris or Welshpool would be possible.

Personally, I'd agree with Axlebox, above; Aardman to do it with computer-enhanced miniatures and stop motion.  That said, the new Clangers is utterly wonderful, stop-motion with odd bits of computer work, so I'm not too worried if whatever company makes Clangers have a hand in it with Ivor :)

• Like 4

Contacted Rapido with this question

'    I am a bit confused about why the toad van is included in pack 3. Assuming people will want pack 1 or 2 then this will mean that if you want the  buffet coach it will be necessary to buy pack 3 and end up with 2 toad vans. Can you explain what the idea behind this is ?'

They replied as follows

'Thanks for your e-mail. Unfortunately, this is the most cost effective way to produce the tramcar - it would be prohibitively expensive on its own.

However, as we get a firmer idea of costs the further down the production process we get, we may look again at offering the tramcar separately.'

Makes no sense to me, but what do I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dazedandconfused said:

Contacted Rapido with this question

'    I am a bit confused about why the toad van is included in pack 3. Assuming people will want pack 1 or 2 then this will mean that if you want the  buffet coach it will be necessary to buy pack 3 and end up with 2 toad vans. Can you explain what the idea behind this is ?'

They replied as follows

'Thanks for your e-mail. Unfortunately, this is the most cost effective way to produce the tramcar - it would be prohibitively expensive on its own.

However, as we get a firmer idea of costs the further down the production process we get, we may look again at offering the tramcar separately.'

Makes no sense to me, but what do I know.

Perhaps the (GW?) cattle truck that featured at the start of the film would have been better. However that would have involved extra tooling costs. On this thread alternative liveries for the W&U coach has been discussed eliciting a question from Rapido about some details so they are obviously looking at alternative liveries.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

They replied as follows

That’s why I asked a couple of pages back almost the same thing and wondered if putting the bus in with the buffet coach would work. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s why I asked a couple of pages back almost the same thing and wondered if putting the bus in with the buffet coach would work. 

Don't forget that the bus was in competition with the train so perhaps packaging them together is not such a good idea. Also bus enthusiasts will just want the bus on its own.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Don't forget that the bus was in competition with the train so perhaps packaging them together is not such a good idea. Also bus enthusiasts will just want the bus on its own.

Are you worried they might fight in the box? :lol:

Yes they’ve already said the bus will be available separately so I wondered if it would still be viable solo if it was in a  pack too ;) 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Or....as they have said above it’s just a cost thing for now, maybe later the rolling stock might be available separately, and the range could expand a bit.....road roller etc.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps its the Toad that they want to push. Many will want the coach for its uniqueness but a GW Toad is a GW Toad. A rail vehicle that is in most manufacturers catalogues. As I said the one rail vehicle that is missing is the cattle truck that appeared in the first part of the film (together with the 14XX). 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Perhaps its the Toad that they want to push. Many will want the coach for its uniqueness but a GW Toad is a GW Toad. A rail vehicle that is in most manufacturers catalogues. 

... and theirs is a different diagram to others already available RTR. (Though I admit I'm not au fait with the differences between an AA20 and an AA19.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... and theirs is a different diagram to others already available RTR. (Though I admit I'm not au fait with the differences between an AA20 and an AA19.)

Such nuances are lost on the target audience anyway. The only RTR Toad that stands out is the Oxford 6 wheeler.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Such nuances are lost on the target audience anyway. The only RTR Toad that stands out is the Oxford 6 wheeler.

Who is the target audience you have in mind? Are you saying that GWR / BR(W) modellers don't care? I suppose that might be the case, after all all their engines look the same...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Who is the target audience you have in mind? Are you saying that GWR / BR(W) modellers don't care? I suppose that might be the case, after all all their engines look the same...

As explained below (from the Hornby Lion thread).

11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Interesting comments there as it never was as popular as other Ealing comedies - probably because it didn't strike a chord with the wider public in a way that 'Passport To Pimlico' did  or the sheer devilry of 'The Ladykillers'.  But - like (Mr) Punch frequently did at one time it took a poke at the clergy and the obsession some of them had with railways and it took a poke at officialdom and even trade unions and even nationalisation in an are when both were a target many folk appreciated.  it also told a story of a changing way of country life which no doubt meant absolutely nothing to the townies who were most likely to see the film.  And it does have some good comedic touches plus the fight with 'the evil road operators'.

So it has some charms and humour of its own and it certainly seems to be acceptable enough to contemporary audiences to be shown on tv (it was shown at least twice last year, possibly three times).  And it will no doubt appear again in the future when we get a season of Ealing or John Gregson films.  and that of course is a potential commercial factor in the mix - tv exposure which brings in an audience which is most likely to be the grey £ sort of audience who could well be tempted by the right sort of marketing.  Yes, it undoubtedly is 'an enthusiast's film' but enthusiasts are also potential customers for a themed product - and that is a market which Hornby also apparently considered to be worth their while otherwise they wouldn't have gone looking for a licence.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

All their brake vans arguably look the same too....:girldevil:

John

• Funny 5

On 05/04/2021 at 15:40, Not Jeremy said:

Speak for yourself matey!

But that is really an unanswered question from back in the Model Rail 'Toby' commission thread, when folks were wondering if a tram carriage to match was on the cards. For those that purchased a Rapido/Model Rail J70 I'm sure that the opportunity to add at least one if not two tram carriages would be very welcome.

• Agree 8