Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thread drift is a well known feature on RMweb but I think this is the first time we have drifted into the midst of a plague of toads.  (which is quite remarkable considering the number of times Toads have had a mention on the forum).   Clearly Rapido enlivens the parts that no other model can reach ;)

Pfft, this thread is nothing - the ebay madness is all over the place (and I love it for that!). Currently we are working through Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Spotted on the Rapido UK Youtube channel:

Very interesting.

Those furniture , fixtures and fittings inside the coach look very nice, presumably separate items that will be glued in place.

I wonder if they might be persuaded to make them available as a detailing pack ?

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Nice images.

Is the front hook back-to-front?

Al.

Pretty sure that’s correct, if you think about it......you have to lift to hook onto an eye on the truck/coach, the hook should point downwards to stop it slipping out.

Does that make sense?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Nice images.

Is the front hook back-to-front?

Al.

No it’s correct or they would uncouple if hooked from underneath when it went slack. 

shorter version on some industrial bolsters. 
6479647A-AC6C-46F8-9BD2-B3EB83211CE0.jpeg.5f3873ee420aae46b92aef7ca943415e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

In that CAD, Thunderbolt / Lion has still got those impossible springs passing through the driving wheel axleboxes.

Don't worry - the video used the same CAD from the launch on the 1st of the month - we had too many things to show off so held this back a few weeks. It is being corrected - if it has not been done so already - by the designers.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some of you may have seen our latest newsletter and the short piece about the Titfield Toads. Lots of you have asked why we are including two identical toads in each of the train packs - well the answer is - we're not!

During the filming two toads were used W68740 which appears in all the close ups and a lot of the film. This is the type with the lower bottom footstep. A second toad, W114814 was also used, this being the same AA20 diagram bit with the bottom footstep at a different height half way up the axleboxes. W114814 was renumbered W68740 on the body side (but kept its solebar plate as W114814 and was used in some of the "distant" type shots (although not exclusively). Watch the film closely and you can see the van changing between scenes.

We are pleased to say we plan to produce both version. So simply W68740 will appear in both packs - as itself alongside Lion, while the tramcar back will feature a model of W114814 masquerading as W68740 complete with correct footstep height and two different numbers.

It's the attention to detail that counts!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

Thanks for that gen, rapidoandy.

AA20s were the last Toads built with the lower footboards at the 'upper' height (1'8" above rail level). From AA21 onwards, this height was lowered (to 1'4"), and it seems an unknown quantity of pre-AA21 vans had their lower footboards lowered to align with the new standard (was it an RCH dimension?) in later years (probably post-nationalisation, I guess).

• Informative/Useful 4

5 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks for that gen, rapidoandy.

AA20s were the last Toads built with the lower footboards at the 'upper' height (1'8" above rail level). From AA21 onwards, this height was lowered (to 1'4"), and it seems an unknown quantity of pre-AA21 vans had their lower footboards lowered to align with the new standard (was it an RCH dimension?) in later years (probably post-nationalisation, I guess).

We have done quite a lot of digging on the subject and couldn't find definitive information. Some sources say the later Lots of AA20 were built with the  lower footstep from new, whilst the first Lots (with 114 range of numbers) had the higher steps from new. Some sources say they were lowered. I have some friends digging through drawing registers to see if we can get a definitive answer - however we base our number / livery selection on photos so we can be sure what height step they had!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Some of you may have seen our latest newsletter and the short piece about the Titfield Toads. Lots of you have asked why we are including two identical toads in each of the train packs - well the answer is - we're not!

During the filming two toads were used W68740 which appears in all the close ups and a lot of the film. This is the type with the lower bottom footstep. A second toad, W114814 was also used, this being the same AA20 diagram bit with the bottom footstep at a different height half way up the axleboxes. W114814 was renumbered W68740 on the body side (but kept its solebar plate as W114814 and was used in some of the "distant" type shots (although not exclusively). Watch the film closely and you can see the van changing between scenes.

We are pleased to say we plan to produce both version. So simply W68740 will appear in both packs - as itself alongside Lion, while the tramcar back will feature a model of W114814 masquerading as W68740 complete with correct footstep height and two different numbers.

It's the attention to detail that counts!

Right I've already read the newsletter so I knew that before I arrived here.  As you seem to love to put all the Titfield stuff in 'packs' I'm surprised to see an appalling omission from that policy.  Yes,  you seem to have omitted, or forgot to mention, the ideal pack (by which I obviously ideal for ME - but it will no doubt suit others who model the proper railway).    Yes - a pair of Toads

So please, pretty please, can we have a pack of the two Toads and just the two Toads (with their proper numbers of course), no need for anything else - not even a hole to put them in?

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chris116 said:

One quick question - is the Wisbech and Upwell tram car going to be done in Wisbech and Upwell style? 

I understand that its going to be produced in GER, LNER, BR and Titfield livery.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1