Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

48 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Sadly it looks like the ex Mainly Trains/Wizard Models Airfix 14xx upgrade kit is showing out of stock as I have a Hornby incarnation somewhere for when my DJM expires. Back to Lion, I'm sure I read somewhere that it sustained minor frame damage during the filming, which if you know where to look is still evident. 

Yes, it suffered in the scene where the passengers push the train and it thumps 'Lion' heavily from the rear. You can see the tender jump when it is hit.  (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Yes, it suffered in the scene where the passengers push the train and it thumps 'Lion' heavily from the rear. You can see the tender jump when it is hit.  (CJL)

I've just bought and watched the 60th anniversary blu-ray disc and I think that is mentioned in one of the extras.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Because we are talking about the film version where it carried a unique livery for the film with the lettering scrubbed out so it is unique in the filming livery. Much like Thunderbolt is different to Lion. 
They can make 1401 in GWR livery without issue but not black with ghosted lettering ;) 

Isnt this Dapol LTD Edition  a model of that Loco ?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/kruger-gibbons/catalogue-id-srkr10041/lot-e7a0c93b-aba3-4974-9b1e-a43100e7a40f

Or the Hornby one?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/60234/hornby_r3186_trains_on_film_titfield_thunderbolt_train_pack_with_14xx_lowmac_toad_brake_van_/stockdetail.aspx

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shanks522 said:

I’m just hoping the stove pipe on Dan’s coach folds down to go under the bridges! 

Well done to Rapido, I have no idea why I’ll need any of it but pretty sure I’ll buy the lot!

Graham 

Spotted in the comments of the Facebook announcement:
image.png.e310142f1ba81a85e13e9c2e7a8f3e2e.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Yes and I have the Dapol one and they obviously previously had permission, as quoted below from the Rapido newsletter Hornby found out when they tried to get the license again. 
As I said before it only affects 1401 in the film livery but that is technically covered because it’s unique. To produce it without commercially could get them sued. 

Rapido. 

STUDIOCANAL informed us that, on March 5th, another party had tried to acquire the rights to the film. We’d already signed the deal so the approach was turned down. ”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Helmdon said:

That's a little concerning, given that Rails have got it up for pre-order (I have, notwithstanding not knowing the price) 

Yes exactly, I wanted to pre order from Rapido but got an email from RoS about pre ordering the Titfield sets, went there and started the pr order and then had second thoughts as no prices were indicated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Our Titfield models will be available in three packs:

·        Pack 1 (SKU922001)is a standard pack, containing Thunderbolt, ‘Dan’s House’ and Loriot Y with No. W68740.

·        Pack 2 (SKU922002) is a deluxe pack, containing sound-fitted Thunderbolt, Dan’s House and Loriot with W67840 plus 4mm:1ft scale figures and commemorative booklet.

·        Pack 3 (SKU 922003) contains the Buffet Car and No. W68740, plus 4mm:1ft scale figures.

·        The Bedford OB will be available as a standalone model in full Pearce & Crump livery (SKU920001

Andy, is there going to be a way of ordering the buffet car without duplicating W68740?

Maybe pack 3 could be the coach and bus instead as the bus is a stand-alone also?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 3

Shan't be buying the Rapido version as I don't require/want the movie bits and pieces nor do I want it named (Titfield) !  whether it be Crested, Bearded, Great ,Blue, Coal, Marsh or Long-Tailed !

Edited by johnd
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, johnd said:

Shan't be buying the Rapido version as I don't require/want the movie bits and pieces nor do I want it named (Titfield) !

They are doing two versions of Lion too and it was named Thunderbolt in the film  ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

The 'J70' is a Model Rail exclusive. (CJL)

So will you be campaigning for a GER model on the next Zoom meeting with the office? ;) Pretty please :lol:

• Like 4

The problem which defeated the original bid for a GER model remains - which GER livery? The vote was split very evenly. I have a very nice 3-D printed W&U bogie coach awaiting its turn on the workbench. Repainting a J70 into GER livery to go with it would not be a particularly difficult project. (CJL)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

So will you be campaigning for a GER model on the next Zoom meeting with the office? ;) Pretty please :lol:

Would that be GER models (were there early and late GER liveries on these machines ?) and an early LNER one which for some reason they did not do before. i.e. With LNER letters, lining and full skirts.

Update:

Just had a look at the other blog on the tram loco itself and see that there were in fact three different liveries applied to them in GER days.

So perhaps Model Rail could dip their toe in the water again and see if there would be demand for one or more of these versions, as it seem that everything pre-grouping is very popular at the moment.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Jon Harbour said:

I'll wait until Rapido are taking pre-orders themselves but will definitely be in the market for a deluxe pack. I suspect I'll end up with the buffet car as well, particularly if it is offered on its own.

Me also, I prefer to order directly TBH, and both sets are a must :D.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, johnd said:

Shan't be buying the Rapido version as I don't require/want the movie bits and pieces nor do I want it named (Titfield) !  whether it be Crested, Bearded, Great ,Blue, Coal, Marsh or Long-Tailed !

Party pooper.......:D

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

The problem which defeated the original bid for a GER model remains - which GER livery? The vote was split very evenly. I have a very nice 3-D printed W&U bogie coach awaiting its turn on the workbench. Repainting a J70 into GER livery to go with it would not be a particularly difficult project. (CJL)

To match the livery chosen by Rapido for their coach and if that doesn’t do it just pick one. When there’s expressions of interest I pick my favourite but don’t try to skew the figures by picking all versions even though I’d be happy to have either if I know only one will happen ;) 

Much like I’ve asked Andy above if there’s an option to revise the Titfield packs for the film coach before putting in pre orders. To be honest if I end up with two identical brake vans my Dad will just get an extra present for his shed layout ;) 

• Like 3

The Titfield package isn't even out to pre order yet, but it's already cost me as I've gone and ordered the bits I linked to earlier! So I suppose that now I'm getting the squires Morris and the roller I'm sort of committed to the rest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

To match the livery chosen by Rapido for their coach and if that doesn’t do it just pick one. When there’s expressions of interest I pick my favourite but don’t try to skew the figures by picking all versions even though I’d be happy to have either if I know only one will happen ;) 

Much like I’ve asked Andy above if there’s an option to revise the Titfield packs for the film coach before putting in pre orders. To be honest if I end up with two identical brake vans my Dad will just get an extra present for his shed layout ;) 

I had proposed doing a loco and coach pack to cover the GER interest but there was no way the coach was going to work financially (without the Titfield version for which the licence fee would have made it impossibly expensive). Works rather differently if you're paying one licence fee across several different models, including a loco). (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1