Titfield Thunderbolt 70th Anniversary Range

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
On 07/04/2021 at 17:19, Harlequin said:

There’s also rumour of a remake of The Titfield Thunderbolt, featuring all your favourite contemporary stars:

James Corden

Russel Brand

Danny Dyer

Ant & Dec

Katie Hopkins

Katie Price

Brendan O’Carrol (Mrs Brown)

Gemma Collins

Piers Morgan making his acting debut

and featuring Lady Gaga

It’ll be a box office smash!

:laugh:

Just to be clear, this was a joke.

I simply assembled a list of the most grotesque and pointless "celebrities" I could think of at the time (although I must admit that I included Ant & Dec for the benefit of others - I would give them the benefit of the doubt).

To stem the rising levels of discomfort with this idea and to let the Rapido thread get back on topic, this alternative thread asks about the cast of a good remake:

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

No such thing as a good remake - good films are good films, remakes are just pastiche, lazy and cheap and tend to reflect current political trends which destroys the beauty of the original.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

No such thing as a good remake - good films are good films, remakes are just pastiche, lazy and cheap and tend to reflect current political trends which destroys the beauty of the original.

I know just what you mean, and there are some truly execrable examples about for sure. "The Italian Job" is I think the worst that I have come across. 

There are exceptions though, I really liked the recent "Whisky Galore" remake, we thought it was well worth watching and charming in its own way too.

As far as "Titfield" goes, I'd put my money not on a re-make but on a sequel....

Don't worry - I haven't got any money...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Just to be clear, this was a joke.

I simply assembled a list of the most grotesque and pointless "celebrities" I could think of at the time (although I must admit that I included Ant & Dec for the benefit of others - I would give them the benefit of the doubt).

What, that they are slebs?:jester:

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

A trap for the unwary is the remake that doesn't openly admit to being such, and goes by a different name.  I offer two horrendous efforts:

1. The Hustle (2019).  This was very obviously an attempt to remake the incomparable Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), but using female leads (Anne Hathaway, who, on the basis of this film can neither act nor be funny) and Rebel Wilson in place of Michael Caine and Steve Martin. Nothing wrong with the idea of female leads, just that this is a really poor effort, constantly putting the two leads in the same scenes as Caine and Martin creating comparisons that cannot favour them. Even so, I find it hard to fathom how they managed to make it as bad as they did. It's a tragically awful film.

2. Barb Wire (1996).  This dismal Pamela Anderson (of Bay Watch fame) vehicle, turns out, if you manage to stay awake long enough to pay it some scintilla of attention, to have the temerity to be a remake of Casablanca (1942), with Anderson effectively playing Bogart's Rick. Unbelievable, yet horribly true. I cannot remember too much about Barb Wire because my taste filters stopped it settling in my brain, leaving my mind unsullied save for the cautionary conclusion that it was a hideous travesty never to be revisited. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

As far as "Titfield" goes, I'd put my money not on a re-make but on a sequel....

Don't worry - I haven't got any money...

Miniatures shot with the Rapido range? ;) 

Now a serious question about the range, will the bus body be plastic? Motorising it with rc or the Faller system would be rather fun :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

Now a serious question about the range, will the bus body be plastic? Motorising it with rc or the Faller system would be rather fun :) 

Don't forget good old magnorail!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

That depends upon the original being remade being a "good film"... I'd argue to the grave that John Carpenters "The Thing" is a much better film than "The Thing From Another World".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

A trap for the unwary is the remake that doesn't openly admit to being such, and goes by a different name.  I offer two horrendous efforts:

1. The Hustle (2019).  This was very obviously an attempt to remake the incomparable Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), but using female leads (Anne Hathaway, who, on the basis of this film can neither act nor be funny) and Rebel Wilson in place of Michael Caine and Steve Martin. Nothing wrong with the idea of female leads, just that this is a really poor effort, constantly putting the two leads in the same scenes as Caine and Martin creating comparisons that cannot favour them. Even so, I find it hard to fathom how they managed to make it as bad as they did. It's a tragically awful film.

"Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" is of course itself a remake  of the 1964 Marlon Brando/David Niven film "Bedtime Story"... 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Probably diecast, it will feature 'posable' front wheels so maybe Magnorail would be better.

12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Obviously an official answer would need to come from somebody working for Rapido, but I would think one would be safe looking at the existing 2 Rapido buses - the GM New Look and the Birmingham Guy Arabs, and also the in production Leyland Fleetline which are all plastic.

https://rapidotrains.com/products/ho-scale/model-buses/ho-scale-new-look-bus

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/birmingham-guy-arab-iv-bus/

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/fleetline/

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/04/2021 at 01:59, dazedandconfused said:

Contacted Rapido with this question

'    I am a bit confused about why the toad van is included in pack 3. Assuming people will want pack 1 or 2 then this will mean that if you want the  buffet coach it will be necessary to buy pack 3 and end up with 2 toad vans. Can you explain what the idea behind this is ?'

They replied as follows

'Thanks for your e-mail. Unfortunately, this is the most cost effective way to produce the tramcar - it would be prohibitively expensive on its own.

However, as we get a firmer idea of costs the further down the production process we get, we may look again at offering the tramcar separately.'

Makes no sense to me, but what do I know.

Surly the tramcar would cost what it costs to make, adding a toad to the pack would cost the price of the tramcar & the toad

Makes no sense to me, but what do I know:D

I would like the deluxe set & the tramcar But it means i end up with 2 toads  

I think i could sneak one toad into Australia but if i imported 2 toads & they got together then there could be a plague

Many years ago  toads were introduced into Queensland  to fight the cane beetle & my understanding is they were released into the cane fields & they hopped out of the cane fields & ate any thing that moved

They have been spreading ever since

I vaguely recall when i was going to school (late 50's ,early 60's) & had to cross a main road. I had to be careful where i stood to avoid standing on squashed toads

Provided i got the scale correct this shows the spread from 1935 compared to an island country most of you may be familiar with

toad.png.57f23fb950c82a879eecd20cee778d36.png

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, John ks said:

Surly the tramcar would cost what it costs to make, adding a toad to the pack would cost the price of the tramcar & the toad

Makes no sense to me, but what do I know:D

I would like the deluxe set & the tramcar But it means i end up with 2 toads  

I think i could sneak one toad into Australia but if i imported 2 toads & they got together then there could be a plague

Many years ago  toads were introduced into Queensland  to fight the cane beetle & my understanding is they were released into the cane fields & they hopped out of the cane fields & ate any thing that moved

They have been spreading ever since

I vaguely recall when i was going to school (late 50's ,early 60's) & had to cross a main road. I had to be careful where i stood to avoid standing on squashed toads

Provided i got the scale correct this shows the spread from 1935 compared to an island country most of you may be familiar with

toad.png.57f23fb950c82a879eecd20cee778d36.png

John

Thread drift is a well known feature on RMweb but I think this is the first time we have drifted into the midst of a plague of toads.  (which is quite remarkable considering the number of times Toads have had a mention on the forum).   Clearly Rapido enlivens the parts that no other model can reach ;)

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thread drift is a well known feature on RMweb but I think this is the first time we have drifted into the midst of a plague of toads.  (which is quite remarkable considering the number of times Toads have had a mention on the forum).   Clearly Rapido enlivens the parts that no other model can reach ;)

And even more people thinking the swimming will be a tad less bracing off the west coast of Ireland! ;) 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2021 at 08:05, Mark Saunders said:

Wrong it’s a Locomotive!

On 10/04/2021 at 09:43, Edwardian said:

It's a locomotive engine

Quite so, though in everyday usage both 'locomotive' and 'engine' are treated as nouns, with a difference of register. If I refer to a Kentishman, I denote a male member of the species sapiens born in transvagaian Kent, but without such a degree of pedantry. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Is that a plague of toads of a toadish plague?

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Clearly Rapido enlivens the parts that no other model can reach

Maybe if we keep Badgering Rapido we can Weasel a Hall class loco  out of them  (in the manner of a Harry Potter train set) They can call it Toad Hall. After all the GWR did run past the jail. Please don't get too Ratty with me for wish listing.

The detail and livery of the toad in this film is interesting.

Edited by Porcy Mane
ooooooo
  • Like 3