Lima TEA bogies

Hi....first time post so apologies for kicking off with a question!

I have a large rake of 18 Lima TEA wagons that I'm rebuilding. I've stripped them down, reassembled the bodies and filled the joint gaps ready for sanding/priming.

The existing bogies are junk so will be throwing them away, but I'm after some advice on suitable replacements. I'm not a, so called 'rivet counter ', but would like something better than originally supplied.

Thanks in advance - only recently got back into the hobby, in the middle of layout planning now and looking forward to contributing here in the future.

Edited by Jabee
Spelling error

3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

for bogies you have two options, olivias trains and ask for some off their BOC tankers as spares or Stenson Models.

Hattons currently have the Olivia's Trains BOC tanker bogies in stock (find them under Heljan), but they are £8 per bogie with no coupling mount (if this is important) - same price on OT's website. Stenson's kits are £12.50 per pair but require wheels - with 18 wagons to re-bogie the costs are going to add up, but these would be 'Rolls Royce' solutions of your bank account can stand the stress!

There is a third option - Cambrian (website cambrianmodelrail.co.uk). Their Gloucester bogie kit C37 comes in at around £4 per pair, they also require wheels and bearings. If I'm reading their website correctly these now come as a one-piece moulding which should ensure true running and speed things up for you. They have other bogie types available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Jabee said:

Hi....first time post so apologies for kicking off with a question!

I have a large rake of 18 Lima TEA wagons that I'm rebuilding. I've stripped them down, reassembled the bodies and filled the joint gaps ready for sanding/priming.

The existing bogies are junk so will be throwing them away, but I'm after some advice on suitable replacements. I'm not a, so called 'rivet counter ', but would like something better than originally supplied.

Thanks in advance - only recently got back into the hobby, in the middle of layout planning now and looking forward to contributing here in the future.

Welcome......... I agree with @Neil Phillips that Cambrian probably provides the solution, my (smaller) fleet of Hornby TEAs will one day get the same treatment.

One other thing, don't throw the Lima bogies away.  Rubbish though they are,  they do go missing so there is a demand for them; sell them on eBay and you can offset at least some of the cost.

Thanks all....

I 'he ordered the last pair of C37 bogies in stock plus wheels and bearings to match. If they work for me, I'll order another 17 pairs.

Unfortunately, I've already binned the old Lima bogies.

I'll post some pictures at some stage to show how I'm getting on.

10 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Hattons currently have the Olivia's Trains BOC tanker bogies in stock (find them under Heljan), but they are £8 per bogie with no coupling mount (if this is important) - same price on OT's website. Stenson's kits are £12.50 per pair but require wheels - with 18 wagons to re-bogie the costs are going to add up, but these would be 'Rolls Royce' solutions of your bank account can stand the stress!

There is a third option - Cambrian (website cambrianmodelrail.co.uk). Their Gloucester bogie kit C37 comes in at around £4 per pair, they also require wheels and bearings. If I'm reading their website correctly these now come as a one-piece moulding which should ensure true running and speed things up for you. They have other bogie types available.

I suspect you might find the Cambrian 'Gloucester' bogies are shorter wheelbase, and lighter construction, than the bogies fitted to 100t tanks. S-Kits (no web-presence, alas) do some suitable bogies of various types. Other options might include seeing if Bachmann do anything.

I have a few sets of Y25CS2 bogies from Kernow model centre....although not prototypical, they do look the part and I'm not a rivet counter, and after all, they will be running on my layout.  I'll compare how the Gloucester bogies from Cambrian look and decide which ones to use then - either will be a huge improvement over the ones originally fitted. I'll post a few pics when i make some progress.

Edited by Jabee

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies so far. A quick update.  Still filing/sanding/priming to get rid of the ugly seams on the original lima mouldings....having stripped the models down and glued the two halves together, none of them are a perfect fit and some are way out. Nearly there though. I have one left unstarted so I will post some pics as I progress that one to catch up with the others.

I ordered a set of Cambrian Gloucester bogies but they just don't look right - wheelbase seems too short. I think I will look at Stenson models but not sure which options would be correct, so any advice would be appreciated.

And finally, I hope to start work on producing the transfers this weekend.

Stensons don't have any of the suitable bogies in stock, nor will they until next year :(.

I think I'll go with the Y25CS2 ones I already have from  Kernow and consider changing them later.

Thanks for all the advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Jabee The Lima 102t TEA Tank Wagon is based on this design. 

85312 at cardiff | TEA 85312 at cardiff | trevor plackett | Flickr

I believe SKits make the correct Schilerien Bogie in cast Whitemetal.

BG31: Scherelien  Bogies Price - £5.10 per pair except where stated

Stenson Models do make them but at £14 a pair they are high end. 

Bogie 4mm – Schlieren M25 2000mm Wheelbase Disc Braked CC15B | Stenson Models

Alternatively The new TEA Tanks used in the Murco service have a Low Track Force Bogie fitted. 

89002 at Cardiff | TEA 89002 at Cardiff | Trevor placket | Flickr

Bachmann Make a variation of these designed around a 10.5mm Wheel but its possible with a little modification that a 12mm wheel could be fitted. These can be purchased from here as a pack of 4 for £6 (Purchased a few pairs for future projects myself).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-HHA-WAGON-BOGIES-Pack-of-Four-/233726635773?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

Hope this helps

Trailrage

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

There is a reason!

Mike.

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...

A quick update (at last).  Pictures show a standard, out of the box, lima TEA followed by one of my remodelled ones.  Replacement bogies - may change these in the future as been unable to get the correct ones so far but think the Y25CS2 bogies will do for now.  Ladders replaced with etched  items, fully repainted and a combination of transfers from Fox, Railtec and some home produced on an ALPS printer. Couplings replaced with body mouonted kinematic sliders and NEM pockets.

20210722_104359.jpg

20210722_104409.jpg

20210722_104416.jpg

• Like 12

On 12/05/2021 at 00:57, TRAILRAGE said:

Jabee The Lima 102t TEA Tank Wagon is based on this design. 

85312 at cardiff | TEA 85312 at cardiff | trevor plackett | Flickr

Bogie 4mm – Schlieren M25 2000mm Wheelbase Disc Braked CC15B | Stenson Models

Alternatively The new TEA Tanks used in the Murco service have a Low Track Force Bogie fitted. 

89002 at Cardiff | TEA 89002 at Cardiff | Trevor placket | Flickr

Bachmann Make a variation of these designed around a 10.5mm Wheel but its possible with a little modification that a 12mm wheel could be fitted. These can be purchased from here as a pack of 4 for £6 (Purchased a few pairs for future projects myself).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-HHA-WAGON-BOGIES-Pack-of-Four-/233726635773?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

Hope this helps

Trailrage

That’s interesting, I’ve got an unissued wagon registration plate for Murco that was presumably intended for this type of wagon 

363F732B-D214-48C6-82B9-840A080EBB49.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I set this project aside some time ago, mainly to get on with the completion of a loft conversion once the contractor had finished the structural/building controlled work and subsequently decorate and fit out and start construction of a new layout, but also because I just couldn't get happy with the replacement bogies I had....I tried the Y25CS2 ones I had which were ok, but not quite right. Also tried some options from Cambrian but still not right.

I then noticed that Olivias Trains were listing both Heljan GPS and Gloucester bogies at £5 per pair, when previously I've seen them on sale for £8 each!

I've got 30 wagons to do, 20 Lima TEA and 10 Hornby TEA so snapped up enough bogies to do them all.

• Round of applause 1

I don't suppose you have any old Lima bogies hanging around do you? Have been routing through the loft looking for suitable stuff for my grandson's first railway and, amongst all the other stuff I found a couple of bogie -less  Lima TEA s. Happy to pay a reasonable amount for them if you do.

On 08/02/2024 at 06:44, ChrisB said:

I don't suppose you have any old Lima bogies hanging around do you? Have been routing through the loft looking for suitable stuff for my grandson's first railway and, amongst all the other stuff I found a couple of bogie -less  Lima TEA s. Happy to pay a reasonable amount for them if you do.

I'm not sure if I still have any of them. I'll have a dig around this weekend and let you know. If I have, I don't want anything for them.

• Like 1