Removing axle bushes from chassis.

That's quite an old chassis (looks as if its an XO4 motor). That chassis type is not fitted with bushes. (The raised rim on the axle bore is part of the chassis casting.)

If its badly worn you might be able to drill out the chassis and fit brass bushes.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A reamer is better than a drill for enlarging holes. Drills tend to wander (or at least do when I use them).

I think the Hornby bushes are intended to fit into a slot in the frame, but Araldite will fix that. (Usual disclaimer!)

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

A reamer is better than a drill for enlarging holes. Drills tend to wander (or at least do when I use them).

I think the Hornby bushes are intended to fit into a slot in the frame, but Araldite will fix that. (Usual disclaimer!)

100% agree with that. The chassis metal is relatively soft and unless you are very careful and use a drill press, they is a great danger of going too far or the drill wandering. All of that would make the situation far worse. Use a reamer and go carefully.

Thanks ickdab and griffon for that.  Yes i will take my time and get a reamer sorted out. Its more cash to spend but its more fun.  I got another scrap chassis to practice on but the bearing seem in better condition so i may just swop them over.  See what happens. Ta again john

Reamers are quite reasonable on eBay.

The brass bearings are an advance on holes in a zinc alloy casting. Despite that, I've only had to bush a couple of chassis castings.

I forgot! I meant the proper Araldite, not the 'five-minute' rubbish.

Reamers have a defined hole diameter from which they produce the reamed hole. So you are going to have to drill the hole first before you ream it. You need to know the correct drill size for your particular reamer.

I'd start with a taper reamer and finish with a parallel.

Alternative methods involve a drill stand and solid vice or a lathe. Drill from both sides to centre rather than straight through.

The later bushed chassis block might be the way to go, but there may be problems with fit and a list of different spare parts

Ta Grifone.

Yes it could be a bit dodgy.  I got a non runner flying scotsman today frim ebay £12.and swopped the everything over on to its chassis block and all is fine now.

That leaves me the chassis block that has worn bearing so its not a problem if I cock it up but i will give it a go.

Ta for all your advice Grifone