Wikipedia : Models of BR locomotives.

ianmacc

Reading the various Wikipedia articles on BR diesels and electrics I noticed that they all have sections on models produced of the locomotives. This is always incomplete so I went through and updated the sections on a few classes to include the manufacturers and the scales available both now and historically. For example the Lima H0, 00 and 0 gauge models were not mentioned in the class 33 page. 

Some little jobs worth went through and undid all my work at the drop of a  hat and returned the half a dozen pages to the incomplete state. 

Too much effort for me so that’s my involvement with Wikipedia done! 

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I take it this is the "user".

Seems a right one or a child. Just deletes things.

First Edit - 10th April 2020

5000th Edit - 8th January 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SK2242

Likes buses and Manchester United and drinks Seven Up and Tango. Favourite colour: Orange.

Must be about ten.

You appear able to edit his profile… <_<

Does Wiki have a mechanism for dealing with vexatious editors? I'd have thought such a mechanism would be fairly fundamental to making the concept work (which, to be fair, and contrary to reputation, it does surprisingly well). 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I've undone the Cl33 changes to put your changes back in. What were the other ones?

Hi Bucoops. Above and beyond there. I was just working through steadily. I think I did 08 20 24 25 26 and 31 but don’t hold me to that. I did the warships too as I mentioned the Marklin model made from 67-71 as the first but tango guy edited it back today the minitrix one was first.

it just needs a model railway guy to go through all the classes and do once and for all.

I know that the J&L Randall article omits the Merit model railway range in its entirety or did when I last stopped by. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Re-done all but 24, 26, 31 and 43 - fortunately as no other changes made since, you can just undo his undo. The others don't appear to be affected.

Thank you for taking the time to update them in the first place.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

Re-done all but 24, 26, 31 and 43 - fortunately as no other changes made since, you can just undo his undo. The others don't appear to be affected.

Thank you for taking the time to update them in the first place.

Thanks again. Does registering as a user make it harder for people like tango guy to change back your edits? 

I will probably go through at some point again and do the others. I’m not an expert so happy for others to chip in with details like dates etc. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Too much effort for me so that’s my involvement with Wikipedia done! 

Sorry to say but you are wasting your time improving information. I've personally been the subject of vexatious and libellous content, it just gets edited back again and, frankly, these small-minded trolls have more time, effort and motivation to expend time on it than anyone who means good. I've worked out who they are and can't really be bothered with them. Anyone connected with Wikipedia just isn't remotely interested.

It devalues the information there, on any subject. Of course, it shouldn't be treated as a primary source of information anyway. I used to donate money when they asked but I certainly don't any longer.

Save your time and do something useful where you can't have it all unravelled by trolls.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

To stoke a bit of paranoia, try looking at even quite long-ago historical information in contentious areas, and you will find it is continually edited by protagonists of rival viewpoints, some of whom I’d be willing to wager are state-actors, given what they alter and how.

A bizarre subject that attracts this sort of thing is, unlikely as it may seem, the early history of electric railways, where Russian history textbooks have taught a version of the truth at variance with what is verifiable from contemporary records for about sixty years, and popular US versions of history are warped heavily in favour of Edison, again seriously at odds with verifiable facts.

If parties vie over such comparative trivia, go very carefully with, for instance, the history of Israel, or the Ukraine.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

So the alterations made by Bucoops have been overwritten already (going off the class 33 entry)! Someone different this time. Turdatroyd or someone lol 

It really isn’t worth it and I’d advise just to leave the trolls to have fun in their bedroom while mummy makes their lunch. 

Problem is this kind of thing offends my sensibilities when there’s already enough real issues in the world so I’m done expending any effort on it. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

So the alterations made by Bucoops have been overwritten already (going off the class 33 entry)! Someone different this time. Turdatroyd or someone lol 

It really isn’t worth it and I’d advise just to leave the trolls to have fun in their bedroom while mummy makes their lunch. 

Problem is this kind of thing offends my sensibilities when there’s already enough real issues in the world so I’m done expending any effort on it. 

I suppose the only option is to leave it for a month or something, then copy & paste your information. Maybe they will have forgotten and moved onto another page?

But I agree, it's sad and pathetic. Maybe they only want the details of their favourite models included?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Hi Bucoops. Above and beyond there. I was just working through steadily. I think I did 08 20 24 25 26 and 31 but don’t hold me to that. I did the warships too as I mentioned the Marklin model made from 67-71 as the first but tango guy edited it back today the minitrix one was first.

it just needs a model railway guy to go through all the classes and do once and for all.

I know that the J&L Randall article omits the Merit model railway range in its entirety or did when I last stopped by. 

I've got the Fleischmann Warship model HO made 1984-2007, so listed that with the definitive German database as a reference

http://www.modellbau-wiki.de/wiki/BR_Class_42

Anyone removing it is a troll!

Edited by maico

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha I got a message flagged up when i went to the page

Please do not add or change content without citing a reliable source. Please review the guidelines at Wikipedia:Citing sources and take this opportunity to add references to the article. Thank you. SK2242 (talk) 13:02, 3 April 2021 (UTC)

If I could find out how to reply I would, but that would probably get me banned :D

• Funny 1

On 03/04/2021 at 15:46, ianmacc said:

It’s been removed.

He is a troll.

I've copy and pasted it back changing the citing to Fleischmann's own website.

(SK2242 said: Wikis and other user generated content aren’t reliable)

BTW. the parts sheets with my model is dated 02/77 which means it was in the catalogue for 30 years unchanged, although I expect NOS for some time by the time Roco bought the insolvent company.

They also made a matching set of green Bulleid coaches for decades.

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 03/04/2021 at 11:40, AY Mod said:

Sorry to say but you are wasting your time improving information. I've personally been the subject of vexatious and libellous content, it just gets edited back again and, frankly, these small-minded trolls have more time, effort and motivation to expend time on it than anyone who means good. I've worked out who they are and can't really be bothered with them. Anyone connected with Wikipedia just isn't remotely interested.

It devalues the information there, on any subject. Of course, it shouldn't be treated as a primary source of information anyway. I used to donate money when they asked but I certainly don't any longer.

Save your time and do something useful where you can't have it all unravelled by trolls.

You mean to say this bit is untrue??? Lifted straight from the page!

‘York started the forum while he was unemployed which allowed him to give a lot of time to the project following the breakup of his Right Said Fred tribute act’.