Hornby R1023 - is it worth fitting sound?

I recently bought an OLD Hornby “Virgin Trains 125” DC (R1023) on Gumtree, boxed, complete with track and controller, to add to what we currently have. To be honest, if I’d bought second-hand track alone on eBay, I’d’ve paid what I paid for this whole set, so basically we’ve got a 2+2 HST for free. All mint and running like new, using the supplied DC controller, AND, also on our DCC layout. 

Having watched (listened to) loads of videos on YouTube, we like the idea of installing a pair of sound decoders (Paxman, obviously) in this set. 

I rang a reputable supplier/installer of sound decoders today, and he told me not to bother, telling me:~

a) “that set is rubbish”;

and,

b) I’d be “disappointed with the result”.

Now, this guy could easily have took my money, but didn’t, so what I’d like to know is:~

1) has anybody fitted sound to this old R1023 set;

and,

2) was it any good?

Thanks. 

Edited by Deltech
Additional information.

Hi, I dont have the HST you have but if you are thinking of fitting sound with TTS chips the best investment you can make is better speakers. Makes a huge difference and is not a difficult DIY job or expensive. If the loco is a little basic then that's only a problem if you are hung up on detail. Good luck.

Deltech, you need to establish the amps that the set uses as the TTS chips are only rated at 0.5amps and I think the older sets draw more than that. I think you will need to get an £100 chip to be able to run it.

regards Mike

Hi, firstly I'll say that it's still frustrating to hear reputable suppliers describe stuff as 'rubbish' just because it doesn't conform to their idea of expensive perfection, even if he is correct to suggest that sound might not be a sensible investment in that particular model. The R1023 may not be up to the standard of the latest generation superdetail models, but it is a perfectly well finished set for many who want to run trains and as a later China-made model is fitted with all-wheel pickups and runs much better than older models.

As mikeg says above, the main issue with installing TTS decoders is that they are optimised for the modern generation of very low current motors and the Ringfield type as fitted to the R1023 set almost certainly will pull too many milliamps for the TTS chip. Ultimately it's up to you but I'd be inclined to enjoy this for the bargain it is and perhaps look out for another model to sound-fit.

• Agree 1