Issues using the forum editor software when trying to post

I am left wondering if there is an automatic "time out" function limiting the amount of time before the forum Editor (which I am writing this with) times out and flushes anything held in its working space?

The reason I ask is that several times today (well, yesterday now) I have written an entry for posting, and have swapped to a second opened tab within Safari in order to copy URLs to photographs on Flickr, so that anyone interested may follow the provided link and I don't break any copyright rules by copying photos that the author has disabled downloading for. (Crikey - that was a long sentence in one breath!) However, after succesfully creating three links, invariably as I have copied the fourth URL and swapped back into the relevant Safari tab with the forum editor still open, I have lost everything previously written.

This is highly frustrating, but I don't know which of the following might be causing the editor to literally dump my posts down the toilet and then pull the flush before I can do anything to prevent it doing so:

1) I am taking too long to write the post (time out and RAM flush)

2) I am putting too many URLs into a single post

3) The forum editor does not have enough RAM available on my device to allow it to hold the live data in memory whilst editing

4) My iPad is too old to run the newest browser software (not Safari nor Google) and that impacts upon my usage of forum editing software.

I am sure one solution might be to write shorter posts, and I can do that if all else fails -- but I prefer to keep everything about one topic in a single post (if that makes any sense).

I am using a 4th generation iPad with 64GB memory, running Apple iOS 10.3.4 and an appropriate version of Safari as my internet browser (note - I cannot download the most recent version of Safari nor of Google Chrome etc because my OS is too old)

Hopefully somebody might be able to provide an explanation, or even better a way to stop it or worse case scenario a work around!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68

• SteveyDee68 changed the title to Issues using the forum editor software when trying to post

Not sure about the main aspect of your post, but the software doesn’t dump everything. If you lose what you have typed, then going back to the empty reply box and just touching the screen in the box area restores everything before it crashed.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, gordon s said:

Not sure about the main aspect of your post, but the software doesn’t dump everything. If you lose what you have typed, then going back to the empty reply box and just touching the screen in the box area restores everything before it crashed.

Thanks for responding, Gordon - that is what normally happens for me, until yesterday! And so it is what I did when my post-in-progress disappeared. However, it didn't restore what I'd typed (yesterday), which is why I've asked the question in case something has broken somewhere.

Cheers

Steve S

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

which is why I've asked the question in case something has broken somewhere.

It's not normal behaviour and there's nothing system-wise that should be causing it. I'm not an iThing sort so all I can suggest is clearing all RMweb cookies, flush your temporary internet files and login again to possibly remove anything locally which may have caused the issue.

• Thanks 1

It's an Apple thing, when memory is limited the operating system will flush older content from memory so when you go back to the tab it has to reload.  All the apps on your iPad are using the same shared memory, if there isn't a lot then it needs to release unused content.

It's annoying but there's your problem.

I just browse in Windows again now, there are other issues with my iPad as it's old now so some features of RMWeb (like the like button) don't work correctly anymore.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

It's an Apple thing, when memory is limited the operating system will flush older content from memory so when you go back to the tab it has to reload.  All the apps on your iPad are using the same shared memory, if there isn't a lot then it needs to release unused content.

Ah, thanks for that. Just checked and my iPad still has 20GB+ of memory available, but I will try slimming down the contents and see if that helps at all.

Normally I only run a single app at a time (eg Safari) so as to have plenty of memory available, but I guess multiple tabs open might well cause problems as each needs memory allocation.

Going to try what Andy suggests and some judicious pruning of apps!

Steve S

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Ah, thanks for that. Just checked and my iPad still has 20GB+ of memory available, but I will try slimming down the contents and see if that helps at all.

Normally I only run a single app at a time (eg Safari) so as to have plenty of memory available, but I guess multiple tabs open might well cause problems as each needs memory allocation.

Going to try what Andy suggests and some judicious pruning of apps!

Steve S

It's the RAM that determines what the apps have available, the 20GB is the internal storage for the applications and files not the space for running them.

Newer models have more RAM than the older ones, what model do you have?

Ah! Good question!! I bought it off eBay as a WiFi only 3rd generation iPad, only when I actually got it, it turned out to be a 4th generation WiFi/cellular (model A1460).

I bought it particularly because it has 64GB of RAM, double what I thought I might need at the time!!

Checking the specs, it doesn’t mention separate RAM for running programs so I assume the 64GB is “shared” between storage and active RAM

Steve S

• 2 months later...

Have to say that RMWeb is running painfully slow for me, even reading pages (never mind editing) ...

Since last posting I have flushed caches, deleted a whole ton of stuff off my iPad, have run systems checks on my router and checked up on the download speed of my internet service to see if anything might improve matters.

On 03/04/2021 at 12:00, woodenhead said:

there are other issues with my iPad as it's old now so some features of RMWeb (like the like button) don't work correctly anymore.

Yes, I have that, too - a dirty big solid black disk where the "like" button should be! Select it and a list of icons appears, but another, slightly smaller black disk is positioned over and obliterated the "craftmanship" icon and makes it difficult to select. That suggests some kind of incompatability between the forum software and my iPad/version of Safari.

What is especially annoying is that everything else runs fine, including apps like Teams, Zoom, Garageband (which is known to be resource hungry) and most other websites.

Probably not much can be done, but frustrating nonetheless.

Cheers

Steve S