Footplate tarpaulins info needed.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve made one for a Hornby 2721.  These had hooks in the back corners of the bunkers sticking up about scale 9, 3mm, so that the weather sheet could be attached to it with eyelets. The tarp sheet itself is a piece of tinfoil cut to size, crumpled up a bit, and then straightened out and painted mucky dark brown, a sort of drop head coupe locomotive.  

This is hardly scale modelling and is, if I’m being honest, a bit crude, but reasonably effective for what is in any case a ‘layout’ model at best.  

• RMweb Gold

I think they were not as crumpled as you may think. My heritage railway experience is that these sheets were fairly well stretched and quite smooth. Thinnish but flexible rubber would do it. A friend of mine cut up a (new) condom and used that, fixing it with super glue and painting. It worked quite well. As it fixes to the tender and the cab, flexibility is the key.

• Informative/Useful 1

Latex gloves as used in the current circumstances are useful and are available in black. Once they are worn or torn they provide a source of very flexible material which can be used as the tarps.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Do a search on Top up.  I posted a how I did it on an A4.  The trick was to use a black neoprene protective glove.   I have just found the file I put together when I submitted it to the BRMNA journal, see attached.  The file should contain pictures as well as a description.   I also covered it in Wright Writes.

A4 Top Up V1.docx

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Do a search on Top up.  I posted a how I did it on an A4.  The trick was to use a black neoprene protective glove.   I have just found the file I put together when I submitted it to the BRMNA journal, see attached.  The file should contain pictures as well as a description.   I also covered it in Wright Writes.

A4 Top Up V1.docx 515.59 kB · 5 downloads

That looks good!  I take it the glove material isn't glued to the tender, it just rests on top of it?