scratch building an unusual bridge

• RMweb Gold

Hi and hopefully I have tagged this right.

I want to model an homage to this bridge in Hastings and I need to source the columns they only need to be 80mm high but I have no 3d printer and haven't manage to find anything suitable on the interweb so far.

thanks in advance @deepfat

5D4_6956.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe copper tube or plastic water/drain tube or plastic elec conduit from a DIY store? Tricky to judge size from a photo, but possibly something of 22mm diameter.

OK mean some sreious scratch building, but should look good with some work.

If you can find some appropriately sized tube, you can then make some ribbed aluminium foil to coat it. There is an article in the January 2021 RM that shows you how. I think the wedding cake support could be the way forward especially as the prototype columns seem to be slightly tapered.

Cheers

Philip

• RMweb Gold

My grandson lives in St. Leonards, previously in Ore and for a while just around the corner from the bridge, so I know the bridge fairly well. I look forward to seeing the finished product if you want to go public with your handiwork.

Best wishes

Phil

Queens Road railway bridge of 1898.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Phil I grew up there but my bridge is going to be a real homage - it's going to be curved and it's going to allow one line to go over another so NOT over Queens Road.  My layout is too small to do Hastings station but the building  as it was in 1934 will be recognisably on there as well.  Below is the SCARM cad I am working to, but my work at the moment is backscenes and the edges of the layout.  I need to get down to Hastings to shoot the housing at the back of the station and go to Bulverhythe to shoot the sea across to Bexhill for that

image.png

• RMweb Gold

Phil good stuff I did some work a while back with Ordnance Survey and I have historical maps from them and I have a couple of books on train routes to Hastings.  However I am borrowing as well so I'll be adding a roundhouse that'll look a bit like the one at Eastbourne (destroyed 1923).  I got the Hastings station plans from the network rail archive.  However I am working flat out full time so only limited time to work on the layout and definitely limited skills which is why I love the advice I get on here