My almost correct chop shop, coaches, not even BR

Because it has been persisting it down today, I have been unable to proceed with the RMB, as it is awaiting under coat to see if any more work is needed. So anybody who has ever see any of my ramblings will dread the next three words.

I GOT BORED

I have a lot of window bays left over from some earlier cut`n`shuts. So another hatchette mk1 went to the saw and met it`s fate.

DSCF0190.JPG.1af6f1b06e3f4f8d153a262cf919d817.JPG

This is where I stand ATM. Some of the joins will need reducing in size, but I am about to dismantle another coach which is going to sacrifice it`s centre door. I have laid it out like this for the photo just to show how many cuts this has needed, especially on the corridor side. Also notice the part of a window next to the end doors that will need blanking and filling.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Because it has been persisting it down today, I have been unable to proceed with the RMB, as it is awaiting under coat to see if any more work is needed. So anybody who has ever see any of my ramblings will dread the next three words.

I GOT BORED

I have a lot of window bays left over from some earlier cut`n`shuts. So another hatchette mk1 went to the saw and met it`s fate.

DSCF0190.JPG.1af6f1b06e3f4f8d153a262cf919d817.JPG

This is where I stand ATM. Some of the joins will need reducing in size, but I am about to dismantle another coach which is going to sacrifice it`s centre door. I have laid it out like this for the photo just to show how many cuts this has needed, especially on the corridor side. Also notice the part of a window next to the end doors that will need blanking and filling.

A CK?

• Agree 1

DSCF0192.JPG.d41bf4b1537f470738895822dbc2d830.JPG

This is drying now, big reveal later. got to wait to see how this has turned out.

On the casting side, more supplies turned up today, so two moulds are setting now, will be ready in the morning.

On the cut`n`shut side, four 105 sides setting under heavy books now. The CK will be for this evening, when I get board lol.

DSCF0193.JPG.d4907288d2a2b3a700d742900690586d.JPG

DSCF0194.JPG.faa57ee45c166f85b7ac4a94e08df762.JPG

DSCF0195.JPG.4581be39eeb901cf68d73d2e7ba3fced.JPG

Well, apart from a little blead under the masking tape, which will require a quick mask and spray (lets see what the weather is like tomorrow), I am please will what has come out. Also like the pealing paint effect on the roof.  Not bad for using car spray paints.

Will post better photos in natural light tomorrow.

• Like 2

I did say I would post a pic of my RMB with paint.

DSCF0200.JPG.286e5437aa3daeb6fbdd3fff3bfdbb27.JPG

DSCF0199.JPG.8acdce9f24c69a7c23a7c546b1b11919.JPG

Sorry for the blurred pic, light is a bit poor today.

Left to do.

Glazing

Interior

Transfers

Paint the gangway bellows black, having sprayed them blue when spraying the ends.

• Like 2

• cheesysmith changed the title to My almost correct chop shop, Mk1 RMB with paint

Time to call quits for today. My eyes are starting to fell tired, and that is when it is too easy to make mistakes. But 1 and a half jobs ticked off the list. The glazing has been cut to size, window bars painted silver, and held in place with blue tac ATM. And the gangways have been painted.

DSCF0201.JPG.e6c8625e8f15dccbd1d85166a19cb7a3.JPG

PS-Anybody got a good tip for securing the glazing in place, avoiding glue marks?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Time to call quits for today. My eyes are starting to fell tired, and that is when it is too easy to make mistakes. But 1 and a half jobs ticked off the list. The glazing has been cut to size, window bars painted silver, and held in place with blue tac ATM. And the gangways have been painted.

... PS-Anybody got a good tip for securing the glazing in place, avoiding glue marks?

Normally, I'd suggest PVC insulation tape - trimmed to the front edges of the windows - press windows into place from behind - then run in a few drops of cellulose thinner (or other solvent adhesive of choice) from the back. Finally peel off the tape.

Of course, with YMRV coaches, the window bars are raised sections of the same mouldings - so I don't know if something like Maskol might work instead for masking (unfortunately, I've never tried it with solvents).

Otherwise, I'd actually be tempted to just press the windows in from behind - taking full advantage of the lip around the edges - and just run in a tiny amount of solvent from behind, around the edges, using capillary action. As long as you're careful where you put the solvent (and your fingers!), I suspect you'd probably do fine.

Of course, if you've got a few spare windows and coach bodyshell offcuts, there's nothing to stop you doing a test run - you'd know if this is going to work within a few minutes.

Actually, I think I might have tried this last suggestion a few years ago - and it worked. However, if you're worried about potential finger marks, you might wish to use a bit of tape on the rear of the windows.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/11/2021 at 21:48, cheesysmith said:

DSCF0201.JPG.e6c8625e8f15dccbd1d85166a19cb7a3.JPG

PS-Anybody got a good tip for securing the glazing in place, avoiding glue marks?

I glued mine back in on my YMRV 4-TC conversion with DM Glue & Glaze I think, but any sort of canopy glue should be fine.

It is those three words again.

I GOT BORED.

My RMB is not going anywhere until I can sort out lettering and numbers, so whilst I wait a quick conversion before I have to pack everything away on the 1st for the xmas decorations to take over.

I decided to do E1928, a RU. These are the bits laid out.

DSCF0204.JPG.5ea311d2bb83d8905f7c9c688b1f0a7a.JPG

Bachmann thompson bogies, replica long suburban underframe, comet etched sides, hatchette roof and ends (the ends having been cut from the chassis. Notice the two white strips of plastruc section added to the edge of the roof for mounting the etched sides on. The hold them the correct distance width wise. Here is a pic of everything placed together, nothing attached yet.

DSCF0203.JPG.1ac2047e318a2673e235f2a0be81b2d6.JPG

Now a quick plea for help. Can anybody provide links for photos of said coach. I also need help in where on the underframe the water tanks are/were, as this was one of the ones built with under frame tanks instead of the tanks in the roof. The real coach is still in existence, but a bit to far for me to go get pictures lol.

• Like 3

• cheesysmith changed the title to My almost correct chop shop, coaches, not even BR

Suffering from a lack of mojo, I decided a quick pick me up was in order, so I went back to one of what I enjoy the most, building a plastic kit.

For this, I was inspired by a different thread which mentioned the "Sheffield" sets of the ratio MR suburban low roof coaches. This became a idea to make one of these sets, as a present for my father on his birthday, as he models sheffield in the steam days. Also, as his birthday is not till September, plenty of time lol.

DSCF0220.JPG.17eef00c69b20361d304ade264fc0e2c.JPGDSCF0219.JPG.e7ff86da30109743760ba5e39141e692.JPGDSCF0218.JPG.b7b0dafad389882564b46a1f03663234.JPGDSCF0217.JPG.db3fc1b830de0f10629a3b22f41c142b.JPGDSCF0216.JPG.ab0198839b4dda60ee7130ce4f59463c.JPG

These have been modified from the original kits. The brake ends have had the end handrails replaced with wire. The bogies are MJT with Ex kirk SR 8Ft bogie side frames (close enough to the 8ft fox for me). The queen post trussing is from the same ex kirk bits. The fictional bit is the replacement of the gas lighting with electric (don`t know if any were converted in real life). This was due to the flash on the ventilators for the roof, so decided to use just the gas light vents as a single row of roof vents down the centre. Also added battery boxes and a dynamo from the same ex kirk sprues.

Left to do, interiors, paint, glaze. 

Question, does anybody know of suitable numbers and transfers for a set of these?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The Birmingham based ones were electric later on, there should be two lines of vents as gas was middle, battery boxes can be seen in pictures.

But can't remember where I saw them.

Lower foot board also removed.

DSCF0221.JPG.72f2f029b3c1d0e609cd67c85909f846.JPG

These are the colours i`ve decided to go with, as they are what i had in stock. Sides are vauxhall burgundy red, ends halfords plastic bumper, roof RAL 7038 agate grey. Not sure on the roof, might be too light. Can always weather it after lol.

Just a little touching up of the paints needed. These are done using automotive spray paints. Tip for touching up after is to spray lots of the paint from the can into a plastic container then use a fine brush to touch up after. Can see where the side is awaiting touching up.

Decided to say these were repainted marron, as it is almost identical colour to the LMS red, but don`t need to do any lining lol.

• Like 4