00 gauge Guildford

MarauderLLC

Greetings one and all I hope this finds you all in fine fettle.

I am due to move to a new home and would like to build a model railway.  I still have all the stock and track from when I was a child many moons ago and would like to recreate Guildfirs station as closely as possible.  In my online wanderings I found an excellent plan please see the attached image.  Can anyone give me any idea how large this would have to be.  I am prepared to compromise in terms of size by shortening the platforms to accommodate 8 coaches plus engine for example and the bay platform 1 to 4 coaches plus engine.

Looking forward to your advice and comments

Guildford-Stn.-layout-1917-and-1937.jpg

• RMweb Gold

To get an idea of scale size I use the historic Ordnance Survey plans on the NLS website and its measuring tool to calculate distances

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.72813881706846&lat=51.23672&lon=-0.58070&layers=168&b=1

Then a scale conversion.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1

Assuming we are talking 00, a quick calculation of the area depicted in the track diagram would seem to indicate a baseboard size of approximately 57 feet long by 28 feet wide.

the 28 feet wide is driven by the curves leading to the Reading/Aldershot and Cobham lines, which could no doubt be reduced considerably.

• Like 1

I have a 40ft to the inch plan of Guildford (Dated 1954) which covers the area you've shown. It is 306cm long by 77cm wide.  Now the maths (probably a bit dodgy): the plan is roughly 0.45mm to the foot, so in four mill you're looking at around 40ft by  9ft10in just for the visible area, plus some for fiddle yards. I can imagine some compression is  needed and and some simplification might be useful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, a quick look on Google Maps measuring tool suggests ~45’ from the entrance to Chalk Tunnel to the new line/Reading line junctions. 

The size of those ladders of slips will make it hard to shorten it by too much. Be a hell of a project though! 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your very helpful comments and calculations.  I had no idea it would be so huge.  I may have to rethink this as even with shortening and simplification this may be beyond any space I may have available.however I am not going to accept defeat yet.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, Darwinian said:

You could save length by only building the section between the bridges. The loco shed was never very easy to see from the station area and coaling stage would still be “on stage”

Good idea or adapt the design to work the mpd beyond a curve artistic license and my layout my rules may be the way forward

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MarauderLLC said:

Thank you all for your very helpful comments and calculations.  I had no idea it would be so huge.  I may have to rethink this as even with shortening and simplification this may be beyond any space I may have available.however I am not going to accept defeat yet.

Unfortunately, most real stations are huge. But I think you will also have to consider what you intend to do "off-scene", whether that is some form of continuous run (storage loops to allow more than one train in each direction) or end to end (some sort of fiddleyard to allow more than one train, with access to remarshall trains so that locos are at front on exit / goods brake at rear).

ĸen

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Unfortunately, most real stations are huge. But I think you will also have to consider what you intend to do "off-scene", whether that is some form of continuous run (storage loops to allow more than one train in each direction) or end to end (some sort of fiddleyard to allow more than one train, with access to remarshall trains so that locos are at front on exit / goods brake at rear).

ĸen

Excellent points I'll have to wait until we move in and see what space is available I have several alternatives in mind if this one proves unfeasible that will still give me ample scope for interesting operations.