Net curtains

Anyone got any ideas how to represent net curtains in buildings? I've tried different tissue papers but they all look a bit too strong behind the windows, I thought about painting the windows but not sure how that would look?

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried printing net curtain images copied from the web? They might need to be dulled down a bit if they are bright white. You are not going to see anything through them, even if you use a translucent film. With a printed version you get the folds and patterns - should you want the latter.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the ideas guys. I found some tracing paper (top) and some 3 ply tissue and split it down (bottom) I kind of like them both, the bottom right I think it looks like the fall you can get with curtains but the tracing paper I think looks better.

169728275_285896723006056_2807550476210605202_n.jpg.2e97b4f151541baf64ee3abe8c2eb912.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, sb67 said:

Anyone got any ideas how to represent net curtains in buildings? I've tried different tissue papers but they all look a bit too strong behind the windows, I thought about painting the windows but not sure how that would look?

It would look as of you’d painted the windows; I think it’s worth being able to see that the curtains are behind the windows, or it just looks like frosted glass.  One ply of toilet paper is fine, but this is a good use for the sheet of thin material that comes in the packing of Bachmann RTR models to protect the roof. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

From your picture it looks to me as if the colour of the curtains is too strong versus the colour of the window frames and the rest of the wall. I would try to reduce the glare of the white by adding an off-white dusting to the material, whatever you use.

If you can find a real house that still has net curtains up I think you might see what I mean.

As always, this is a personal view. :)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

From your picture it looks to me as if the colour of the curtains is too strong versus the colour of the window frames and the rest of the wall. I would try to reduce the glare of the white by adding an off-white dusting to the material, whatever you use.

If you can find a real house that still has net curtains up I think you might see what I mean.

As always, this is a personal view. :)

I thought they stood out a bit, I'll have to find a way of colouring the tissue, maybe powders. Or my other half does decoupage and might have some tissue in other colours if I ask nicely! 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2021 at 19:55, sb67 said:

Thanks for the ideas guys. I found some tracing paper (top) and some 3 ply tissue and split it down (bottom) I kind of like them both, the bottom right I think it looks like the fall you can get with curtains but the tracing paper I think looks better.

169728275_285896723006056_2807550476210605202_n.jpg.2e97b4f151541baf64ee3abe8c2eb912.jpg

To look really authentic, they need a kitten climbing up them!

• Funny 2