Fictional Yorkshire - LMS or LNER?

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Wasn't actually.

Read the OP. It says based on the Settle and Carlisle but inspired by the All Creatures Great and Small TV series.

Up to a point Lord Copper!

Richard

On 08/04/2021 at 23:42, Steamport Southport said:

Wasn't actually.

Read the OP. It says based on the Settle and Carlisle but inspired by the All Creatures Great and Small TV series.

The OP actually said:-

A while back someone suggested I look at the Settle & Carlisle line as inspiration.

The landscape I want to model will be grass, stonewalls, hedges, and plenty of trees in the background. I draw much of my inspiration from the original "All creatures great and small" TV-series.

So the S&C was just the grit in the oyster, the ACG&S look is what she is after, and that has been established as fundamentally NER territory, but it is his layout.

Edited by Nick Holliday
Apologies to Reptilian Feline re gender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

The OP actually said:-

A while back someone suggested I look at the Settle & Carlisle line as inspiration.

The landscape I want to model will be grass, stonewalls, hedges, and plenty of trees in the background. I draw much of my inspiration from the original "All creatures great and small" TV-series.

So the S&C was just the grit in the oyster, the ACG&S look is what he is after, and that has been established as fundamentally NER territory, but it is his layout.

You're absolutely right.

I think the problem with the Settle & Carlisle suggestion back when I got it, was that it's well documented, but I never really looked at the landscape, just buildings and locos and the area around the track in the pictures.

LNER is the way to go if that is what would be proper for the landscape I have in my mind. It would still be miles more easy to make than a Z-scale version of fictional Yorkshire.

BTW... I like the LNER Y1 shunter (it's Y1 and Y3 on the LNER site). It's small, appropriate, right in the time as well as for the usage I plan for it... and cute too. BTW... I'm a woman ;-) but I know that's unusual, so I don't mind being called a "he" when nobody knows any better. :-D

I didn't know there were small steam shunters. The railway book I read spoke about diesel shunters being popular a lot earlier than I thought diesel was used for engines. If steam could do the job, then I don't need to put up diesel refuelling spots on the layout.

• Like 1