Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

BR triple grey household paint equivalents

Hi all, bit of an odd one this!

I’ve recently purchased a replica nameplate and depot plaque and mounted them on the wall in my railway room. When I showed my dad the picture he said “why don’t you paint the wall as if it’s the side of the loco?”

so my question is, does anyone know of any household paint that’s near enough to the colours of BR triple grey? I would like the orange for the cantrail stripe and the greys for the body sides so it would look a bit like this...............

2D8168A0-79D5-4CF7-A870-3AC45792BB95.jpeg.7ef7dc74ea817add018fac43cf7694fd.jpeg

please forgive the crude picture!

Thanks in advance.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I wonder if I took a model into B&Q they could match it to that?

Just looking at the Valspar info, the area to be scanned needs to be 0.5cm wide, so should work for the two body side greys, but no good for the cantrail orange colour, but I could probably just guess for that.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

Dulux decorator centres mix colours like B &Q. Also they can mix RAL colours if you could find the RAL numbers for the shades you require they also will mix in tester pots

Interesting. Any ideas where I could find the RAL numbers?

4 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

I wonder if I took a model into B&Q they could match it to that?

They need something big enough to put their test-meter onto - its about the size of a tea mug, maybe a bit smaller. I took a postcard sized sample, and they had no trouble with that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BS4800/00A13 Executive Dark Grey (Pantone 447)

BS4800/00A09 Flint Grey (Pantone 424)

BS4800/00A05 Goose Grey (Pantone 415)

BS381C/557 Light Orange (Pantone 152)

Shade of red, blue and yellow for the sector logos are:

BS4800/04E53 Poppy (Pantone 185)

BS4800/18E53 Tartan Blue (Pantone 300)

BS4800/08E51 Golden Yellow (Pantone 116)

Steven B.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

B&Q should be able to mix the paint for you, they need a very small area to match the colour, so a 4mm model will be fine for the grey, the orange stripe will be too small however. 

• Like 1

Went to B&Q today and got my loco scanned by the grumpiest assistant ever! Here is the result...........

F3FEA579-C6BE-44FA-955F-19DD297A94C9.jpeg.4d23f6210368f95329f50f08e3505d47.jpeg

The dark grey looks a lot darker on the photograph, pretty pleased with the result!

Thanks for all the help folks!

• RMweb Premium

Just curious - was there a minimum quantity and at what cost - I had visions of you going home bankrupt with enough paint to cover a real loco rather than a patch on the wall . . . . . . . 

The lower half of the interior walls in our Clubrooms are in genuine Executive Grey thanks to a Club member who worked at Derby Loco Works . . . . . . . . . 

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 1