Hexagonal Head Coupling Rod Screws

Podhunter

Does anyone know of a source for the hex-head screws that Hornby uses to fix coupling rods to driving wheels on steam locos?

They are sold, by the half-dozen, with replacement coupling rods but don't seem to be available separately.

• RMweb Gold

I think they are the same as Bachmann, so it might be worth looking to see if Bachmann do them separately.  In order to prevent such tiny things making breaks for the border of sacrificing themselves to the Carpet Monster (my layout is in the bedroom of the flat), I stick them in a lump of BluTac for the duration, and bag them is sealable placcy bags of the sort that drug dealers use for your 'teenth of Leb' (it is alleged/I am led to believe) if they need to be stored in a Project Box.  The tiny things, that it, not the teenth of Leb, or so I'm told, you weren't there, you didn't see anything, you can't prove a thing, it was the 70s, I couldn't possibly comment, I confirm or deny nothing or everything which ever will reduce the sentence, m'lud...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, gordon s said:

I’d buy the half dozen or so as they won’t be the only ones you lose and the postage will be much more than the cost of the screws.

My reading of @Podhunter’s dilemma was not the number of nuts, but the unwanted coupling rods that come along for the ride. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I ordered some of the Coupling Rod screws because one disappeared during a motor stall test.  They turned out to be round head with a screwdriver slot (see top photo), not the Hex head I expected.LocoScrewProblem1.jpg.fd80d6b09a25e617ccd7db3c7fb22199.jpg

HexCouplingBolts1.jpg

Edited by Ken H

• RMweb Premium

I think those coupling rods are on upside down - the bit sticking out goes at the top.

Several adds on ebay for the hex ones but ludicrously expensive postage.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I think those coupling rods are on upside down - the bit sticking out goes at the top.

Several adds on ebay for the hex ones but ludicrously expensive postage.

The sticking out bits represent oil pots which lube the motion on the prototype 

• Agree 3

Good point.  And strange.  That is the way the Loco came to me.  I bought it new on Amazon.  I only replaced the one missing S.1014 screw after one flew off during a stall test.  The Service Sheet No. 139 (dated February 1987, see below) does show the "bit sticking up" pointing up.  Also, in this fairly clear blowup, I do believe you can see that the coupling rod screws are indeed slotted, even though the one I got maybe a month ago had them hex.  This model was first made in 1987.

I tried to buy some S.1229 screws from Peter's Spares, but at checkout realized I was being charged $50 for 4 S.1229 screws.  I have some spares of those.  Peter's Spares said the S.1229 (for the overlapped Couplings) were Hex, but oh, that price.

My brain hurts.

ServiceSheetNo139 (detail).jpg

Edited by Ken H

By having a (spurious) SE&CR body, the loco appears to be the current R30039.  If that is so, Service Sheet 139 is not relevant, indeed misleading.  You would be better served referring to sheet 348.  Screw S1014 has a BA thread so it has cut its way in to the wheel where a metric-threaded screw once sat.  For China-made models, the screws are supplied only with the rods.

• Agree 1