Craiglang - BR Speedlink in the 1980s

Alcanman

I decided to extend the stone wall to bridge the gap between the rail served and non rail served warehouses.

Some seamoss bushes/trees also helped to fill in the space.

cl 5.5.21 002.JPG

• Like 9

I've started bundling the logs together and strapping them with masking tape.

This will enable the timber loads to be easily unloaded by the 'hand of God' so I can run loads in, empties out.

I've also started adding some grass/weeds between the tracks in the sidings.

cl 10.5.21 001.JPG

• Like 10

The short siding at the front of the layout has been extended by a few inches and can now easily accomodate 2 OCA/OBA wagons.

2 OCAs with steel pipes arrive for unloading. The loads are easliy removable so, like the timber siding, I can operate loads in, empties out.

cl 15.5.21 004.JPG

• Like 10

I like the twin spotlamps in that last photo of the 26.

Seeing this layout and your previous Scottish one set me off on a tangent mulling over a similar thing in 7mm....however , I'm not sure I can quite justify buying a £600 Heljan loco to then have it chopped about and repainted to represent what I might actually need....

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Supaned said:

I like the twin spotlamps in that last photo of the 26.

Seeing this layout and your previous Scottish one set me off on a tangent mulling over a similar thing in 7mm....however , I'm not sure I can quite justify buying a £600 Heljan loco to then have it chopped about and repainted to represent what I might actually need....

My favourite 26s were those based at  Inverness fitted with Twin headlamps,  headcode discs and mini snow ploughs. The model is based on my photo of 26032 at Inverness.

A 7mm version would be superb especially with sound. If I had the space and the money, I would love one.

26032 at Inverness.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
error
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

I was thinking more of a late 1980s era with red stripe railfreight 26s , especially as Heljan have one planned. In reality for 7mm the only locos that would need major surgery would be a 37 or 2 to represent examples without bufferbeam skirts and so on , but there would also be a need for much more kit building of wagons which is probably beyond my capabilities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Supaned said:

I was thinking more of a late 1980s era with red stripe railfreight 26s , especially as Heljan have one planned. In reality for 7mm the only locos that would need major surgery would be a 37 or 2 to represent examples without bufferbeam skirts and so on , but there would also be a need for much more kit building of wagons which is probably beyond my capabilities.

The 7mm skirt-less 37/4 is now available from Heljan. ;)

I keep translating these layouts into O Scale, the problem then being that they would be about 17 or 18 feet long. Although I do have 17 foot available in my loft, it is occupied by an American O scale layout which, due to the convenience afforded by buckeye couplers, can go around 3ft radius corners, so I have a roundy-roundy that would be impossible to do in the same space with UK O scale. Fitting kadees to the UK stock isn't the answer, as the buffers create a huge gap between vehicles on such a curve. With apologies for the slight thread hijack, here's how I know...

20201120_183350.jpg.b4dc809f90d5fe80604af64692f1ab74.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good. I like the way the offices close in the track exit a bit.

I was thinking about your EWS steel warehouse from back in the day - I’d like to do a small plank like that at some point 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in 1984 I made a trip along the scenic West Highland Line extension from Fort William to Mallaig behind steam heat 37191. 

First pic shows 37191 waiting to depart Mallaig.

The second shows the loco in 1985 having been displaced by ETH fitted 37/4s on WHL passengenger duties. With it's boiler isolated, now reduced to performing mundane shunting at Craiglang.

37191 at Mallaig 2.jpg

cl 3.6.21 003.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

An inspiration to all, if only the two months you have built it.  Wonderful, and thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1