BR Conflat A Container colour?

Apologies if this has been already answered but what colour would a BR conflat A container (such as this type... https://skytrex.com/products/smrl15-container-type-a ) be painted as built. Some of the preserved examples seem to carried a kind of Maroon. Would this be something like Precision paints P108 or more of a Crimson such as P303 BR Coach Crimson? Or would it be in a completely different shade?

Kind regards

Edited by MerseyMan

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MerseyMan said:

Apologies if this has been already answered but what colour would a BR conflat A container (such as this type) be painted as built. Some of the preserved examples seem to carried a kind of Maroon. Would this be something like Precision paints P108 or more of a Crimson such as P303 BR Coach Crimson? Or would it be in a completely different shade?

Kind regards

In early BR days containers both A and B were painted crimson with yellow lettering. The crimson (according to my eyesight when looking at coloured photos) seemed to match that used on the road vehicles, not as bright as that used on the coaches. I could be wrong on the colour match.  In the early 60s this was changed to bauxite with white lettering and the flying crate logo.

They seemed to be high on the repainting list as most ended their days in bauxite. There is a crimson B container example close to where I live, I can only tell it is crimson as most the paint has weathered away by the remains of the yellow lettering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The crimson (according to my eyesight when looking at coloured photos) seemed to match that used on the road vehicles, not as bright as that used on the coaches. I could be wrong on the colour match.

Crimson varies massively in photos. Precision do two br ones and their "faded" colour is much brighter and redder. I wonder if containers, especially the planked parts, just aged less than that on coaches?

• 2 weeks later...

I recently finish one in humbrol rc423 carmine which is acrylic. It seemed to represent the maroony colour of the containers I have seen in photos but I used the modelmaster white lettering transfers which I doubt is accurate but is fine for me. With the weathering it just reads as being slightly different to the bauxite wagons. 

20210417_182357.jpg.5300b1ab02baa186625ec2df8ea22da1.jpg

Cheers 

Dave