Jump to content

Item not received but tracking shows item delivered


Recommended Posts

First time I have ever had an issue with a Chinese seller.  I have purchased numerous items from China ranging in value from low value to relatively high value and until today never had a problem.  Fortunately this purchase was less than $10.00 and as it turned out the item is surplus to my needs.   Tracking shows it was delivered on April 6th.  Oddly,  tracking also shows that the item was only picked up by the local courier for delivery on April 7th.    I also received an email today, April 7th,  stating the item was delivered with the time of receipt of the email 9.42am.    Oddly,  the email stated the item was dropped off at 10.51am this morning which at the time I received the email was still 1 hour and 9 minutes into the future.  The seller has a long history of buyers with negative feedback stating a message  was received stating items were delivered but not received,  coincidentally all items with a value around $10.00.   I have been home all day yesterday and today and with a very quiet neighbourhood I would hear any delivery vehicle passing by.

 

Obviously I am very dubious as the item was not purchased until early this month and basically in just a few days was delivered from China.  The expected arrival date was June 6th.   EBay is not really interested as the item is showing tracking as delivered and as expected delivery was not until June 6th,  no doubt they will string out the resolution process until then.  I cannot give the seller feedback other than positive for several more days.  I may see if PayPal are interested in chasing down the seller but given the low value I will be content with posting negative feedback on the seller.  In thousands of transactions I have only ever posted negative feedback on a seller once and that was because he packaged a $1000.00 LGB Mogul in brown paper wrapping rather than a suitable box.  The item of cause was damaged intransit.  At the time sellers could post retaliatory negative feedback and so I received my one and only negative on my account.

Edited by GWR-fan
Correction of spelling in title
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • GWR-fan changed the title to Item not received but tracking shows item delivered

I have sometimes had future timed messages on deliveries (which have been problem-free) and sometimes noticed tomorrow's date on the odd thing in ebay before midnight.  I suspect somewhere along the line somebody's software in another time zone is using a local time, maybe ebay, maybe couriers, probably just different systems not making adjustments when they interact.

 

I have generally had no problems with China - I have ordered quite a lot of trivial value items for less than the price of the stamp if I had bought it in the UK.  Only thing is I have to be prepared to wait 3 months for delivery, regardless of what targets are on ebay - sometimes it arrives in 3 months, sometimes a few days. Chinese traders generally have poor feedback - I won't deal with new users (less than say 1000 feedback or if their score is less than 98%). I pay by paypal and claim via them if it fails to arrive - not sure how it will change when ebay drops paypal completely.  

 

Your problem may be down to mis-delivery by couriers - they are very variable in some places, but I've been fortunate here.  I would certainly give it a few days before complaining in case it's gone to somebody in the next street and they're honest.  Nevertheless given what you say about their feedback, you are right to have your doubts.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I have sometimes had future timed messages on deliveries (which have been problem-free) and sometimes noticed tomorrow's date on the odd thing in ebay before midnight.  I suspect somewhere along the line somebody's software in another time zone is using a local time, maybe ebay, maybe couriers, probably just different systems not making adjustments when they interact.

 

My Windows 10 box did not update for BST this year, at least not in a sensible time before I realised and did it manually.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Your problem may be down to mis-delivery by couriers - they are very variable in some places, but I've been fortunate here.  I would certainly give it a few days before complaining in case it's gone to somebody in the next street and they're honest. 

 

During the first national lockdown, I found a parcel on my doorstep addressed to a property over a mile away (and I live in a city).  I've no idea which courier company delivered it, but my next day's daily walk took it to the correct recipient.

 

Bizarrely enough, there was a knock at the door a few months later and on opening the door, the courier driver was halfway down the driveway and called back 'your parcel'.  I looked at it and responded 'but that's not for me'.  It was supposed to be delivered to the same property about a mile away.  The driver didn't seem to know what road he was actually on because when I read the address to him, he said, 'is that not this road?'

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Given the multiple discrepancies in the delivery times and dates and the seller's history of items supposedly delivered but not actually received,  this morning I opened a case for an item not received.  Within ten minutes I had a "courtesy" refund of the payment made.  

 

At the other end of the scale,  last week I received an eBay message from another Chinese seller.  I had purchased a square metre of carbon fibre cloth.  The seller was very apologetic,  stating that the item purchased was from a new shipment of cloth and in his opinion the cloth was not of merchantable quality and that he would rather refund my money rather than ship goods that were not acceptable.   99.9% of my numerous purchases from China have been without issue.

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional information (second paragraph)
Link to post
Share on other sites

  "The seller has a long history of buyers with negative feedback stating a message  was received stating items were delivered but not received."

 

Well worth avoiding sellers with negative feedback, and reading some of the "Positive" feedback which is anything but positive.   

 

Personally I have had no issues with China sellers, great stuff sent all the way from China for less postage than it costs me to send the same to 50 miles away...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2021 at 09:15, GWR-fan said:

First time I have ever had an issue with a Chinese seller.  I have purchased numerous items from China ranging in value from low value to relatively high value and until today never had a problem.  Fortunately this purchase was less than $10.00 and as it turned out the item is surplus to my needs.   Tracking shows it was delivered on April 6th.  Oddly,  tracking also shows that the item was only picked up by the local courier for delivery on April 7th.    I also received an email today, April 7th,  stating the item was delivered with the time of receipt of the email 9.42am.    Oddly,  the email stated the item was dropped off at 10.51am this morning which at the time I received the email was still 1 hour and 9 minutes into the future.  The seller has a long history of buyers with negative feedback stating a message  was received stating items were delivered but not received,  coincidentally all items with a value around $10.00.   I have been home all day yesterday and today and with a very quiet neighbourhood I would hear any delivery vehicle passing by.

 

Obviously I am very dubious as the item was not purchased until early this month and basically in just a few days was delivered from China.  The expected arrival date was June 6th.   EBay is not really interested as the item is showing tracking as delivered and as expected delivery was not until June 6th,  no doubt they will string out the resolution process until then.  I cannot give the seller feedback other than positive for several more days.  I may see if PayPal are interested in chasing down the seller but given the low value I will be content with posting negative feedback on the seller.  In thousands of transactions I have only ever posted negative feedback on a seller once and that was because he packaged a $1000.00 LGB Mogul in brown paper wrapping rather than a suitable box.  The item of cause was damaged intransit.  At the time sellers could post retaliatory negative feedback and so I received my one and only negative on my account.

 

13 hours ago, Dungrange said:

 

During the first national lockdown, I found a parcel on my doorstep addressed to a property over a mile away (and I live in a city).  I've no idea which courier company delivered it, but my next day's daily walk took it to the correct recipient.

 

Bizarrely enough, there was a knock at the door a few months later and on opening the door, the courier driver was halfway down the driveway and called back 'your parcel'.  I looked at it and responded 'but that's not for me'.  It was supposed to be delivered to the same property about a mile away.  The driver didn't seem to know what road he was actually on because when I read the address to him, he said, 'is that not this road?'

 

With distance selling rules you should be covered, but the answer could lie with either the seller or end delivery courier

 

If the seller has a lot of poor feedback all down to items not being received, the chances are its them

 

If they were unfortunate enough to use Hermes, then this company has a poor record of wrong/miss/aborted deliveries.

 

There is a third possibility, its stuck in customs 

 

If its an eBay or Amazon item, register a non delivery report

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

During lockdown, I swallowed my pride and sent a few eBay sales via Packlink with Hermes while they were offering free collection by the Hermes courier.  The alternative meant queuing outside a claustrophobic little Spar shop in the cold, only to sometimes find when it was eventually my turn to enter, that the post office counter was closed due to staff shortage.    I sold a couple of model railway items yesterday.   Since all last month's sales got to the buyers safely with Hermes I considered pricing the Packlink with Hermes home collection service now that the free home collection offer has ended.   I had to sign in again to eBay only to be greeted with a new page "Grant Application access" which now asks me to consent to sharing my details before I can continue to use eBay delivery services.     Not doing it, considering I only have a few remaining sales over the next few days and will no longer be selling any more on eBay due to their hair-brained "managed payments" project.  I'll take these last few items to the post office.

 

eBay are very sales/customer focused, if they find they are loosing out things will change. However the new system does seem to benefit the sellers especially when used in conjuction with sales offers

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

I've had one too, when I contacted the RM they checked the tracking number and it flagged up as being an incomplete address from the seller. They did say it was their mistake but the seller should claim off them and refund. They never did. Tried to get refund via Paypal, but claim denied as it "had been delivered".

 

Wrote it off as it was only a couple of quid for a USB microphone. Bought another from a seller in Scotland.

 

I am VERY wary now of "UK" sellers who are based abroad with a UK warehouse etc. Works fine until there is a problem then it gets difficult. Took ages for a shipment of lathe chuck collets to be refunded when Hermes delivered them to someone else and I got their Wilkinsons gardening supplies!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

I've had one too, when I contacted the RM they checked the tracking number and it flagged up as being an incomplete address from the seller. They did say it was their mistake but the seller should claim off them and refund. They never did. Tried to get refund via Paypal, but claim denied as it "had been delivered".

 

 

Now this would really annoy me and I would pester the hell out of PayPal if they tried this one, especially as the Royal Mail confirmed it was not delivered

 

As it is I have always found both PayPal and eBay extremely helpful on the few occasions I have had an issue

 

As I said before its eBay's deal with Hermes via Paklink which worries me. Hermes is renown for being a bit loose with the facts about deliveries (I had 2 items delivered to other peoples houses, which Hermes own photos confirmed) yet they still maintained the items were delivered by them to my property!! both completely untruthful and backed up by their own photographic evidence 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.