Brake tender length of service and where to be mainly found

TravisM

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Those are Gresley's. The Stanier are the more angular.

Nice pic. I had a load of grampus kits intended to go with a blue 46 but I sold them on in the end.

Indeed they are Gresleys - I zoomed in on the original.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I think he means the final withdrawal of the Westerns, the end of the WR's hydraulic experiment. 

Indeed I do, the day of the Western tribute railtour. I was stood on the opposite side of the tracks in Parkway station car park that day. 46 003 plus brake tender passed through an hour or so before the rail tour.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trev52A said:

Cue my 'mystery photo' taken at Low Fell, Gateshead, which has been aired before. I have now tied down the date I took this to 2nd August 1967, but I did not make a note of the locos at the time and am hoping someone who also saw this unusual working can provide the details. The Brush Type 4 on the northbound Car Carrier/Motorail train has apparently expired and has been rescued by a BR Type 2, complete with brake tender which has now gained immortality by wearing Class 1 headlamps! Pity we don't know its identity also - yet(?)

Thanks in advance!

432419978_(748aS)D51xxD1xxxLowFell2-8-67(TrevorErmel).jpg.e33dca312c66f5545dc8266965cb34c9.jpg

Looks like a motor rail service. I've never seen a brake tender carrying a class 1 headcode before. Excellent picture.

16 hours ago, Titan said:

Plenty of diesels around with "white lights or discs"

spacer.png

Looks like a class 7 if I am not mistaken...

Just because they had discs didn't mean they were using them, I saw many trains with a "Royal Train" headcode in the 70's

2 hours ago, Yardman said:

Just because they had discs didn't mean they were using them, I saw many trains with a "Royal Train" headcode in the 70's

In 1972? I expect they stopped setting the discs at the same time that the alpha numeric headcode were instructed to be set at 0000, and seeing as you specified 1972 in your original response and not "the 70's"  any "Royal Train" or express passenger headcodes as they were later set to "in the 70's" don't count.

In 1972 they were still using them hence why they had to be in the 1972 General Appendix.

Edited by Titan

6 hours ago, Titan said:

In 1972? I expect they stopped setting the discs at the same time that the alpha numeric headcode were instructed to be set at 0000, and seeing as you specified 1972 in your original response and not "the 70's"  any "Royal Train" or express passenger headcodes as they were later set to "in the 70's" don't count.

In 1972 they were still using them hence why they had to be in the 1972 General Appendix.

In my original post on Brake tenders I specifeid it refered to the 60's, I lost interest when they started painting everything blue.

On 09/04/2021 at 16:36, Yardman said:

There weren't many lamp codes in use by 1972.

That is your exact words, and the post I was referring to.  I quoted it in my first response.  I am not quite sure how I could be any clearer, or somehow you now seem confused as to which post I was referring to.

Edited by Titan

15 hours ago, Titan said:

That is your exact words, and the post I was referring to.  I quoted it in my first response.  I am not quite sure how I could be any clearer, or somehow you now seem confused as to which post I was referring to.

You are quoting me out of context. I made a quote stating I was referring to lamp codes in the 60's,  to I never posted any data on 70's lamp codes (that was another poster), other than I had stated I had seen little or incorrect use.

3 hours ago, Yardman said:

You are quoting me out of context. I made a quote stating I was referring to lamp codes in the 60's,  to I never posted any data on 70's lamp codes (that was another poster), other than I had stated I had seen little or incorrect use.

It was the only line in that post, and I quoted it in full.  There was no other context in it, let alone reference to the 60's.

Edited by Titan

Titan, This forum topic is "Brake tender length of service and where were they used". If you wish to conduct a discussion on headcoades in the 1970's I suggest you start a new topic instead of hyjacking this one. In the quote you sent I was responding to another poster, not you.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/04/2021 at 22:02, Trev52A said:

The Brush Type 4 on the northbound Car Carrier/Motorail train has apparently expired and has been rescued by a BR Type 2, complete with brake tender which has now gained immortality by wearing Class 1 headlamps!

Smashing pic Trev. There was another DBT to carry Express headcodes sometimes in the early sixties. I'll need to find the RO it was reported in. Train was the Heart of Midlothian. First rescue loco with DBT failed, having to be rescued by another loco with two DBT's. 

Edited by Porcy Mane