Fun for the operator

Hello

I enjoy small/micro inglenook style layouts.  I want to Randomise my train movements & wagon loads but also keep a record of them so something like Excel or similar software program would be great.

I'm mainly interested in freight so the working end is scrap yard, factory, machine shop etc.  I will enter/leave the yard from one end only.  Initially a Waybill & Wagon Card manual system allows for most of what I want but it would be good to input into a prog on my pc then print the cards out.

Any ideas anybody as I don't want to re-invent the wheel?

Best

Edited by Barnaby

• RMweb Premium

I have been thinking about something similar and have been considering writing a program in Scratch to do this. What this would not do is keep a record of what had happened.

Thanks Gents.

That sounds plausible Kris, what I would like to have is a blank but headed template for details to be added so I could just print off as many as I need.  I was going to add the details on the pc and therefore I could print them out if I wanted to keep them.  I just was trying to avoid doing the leg work on excel if it has already been done.

Woody, yes you could use different coloured dice for differing actions say, loads, quantities, pick up/deliver but I was thinking of a randomiser that would produce it all to the card.  Then maybe you shuffle the cards and follow them through.

Maybe even though I've been retired from spreadsheet, power point and word  workings for some 12 years now I may need to dust my notes down and have a go again and produce some TEMPLATE CARDS for filling in the randomised details.

Best

Thinking of the Template headings here are some thoughts, they'll need to be abbreviated >>>.

WORKINGS IN

WORKINGS OUT

LOAD DROP OFF POINT

LOAD COLLECT POINT

LOAD TYPE

QUANTITY  

CLOCK TIME

WAGON ID #

LOCO ID #

There may be many more....................................................

Probably need a sketch of where all these drop off/ pick up locations are with a manual clock face in it?  

Regards

Hi Barnaby,

As mentioned on your King Street Goods thread, this is the source of the car-cards and waybills I am using

http://www.westportterminal.de/operation.html

Use the zip file which gives all the resources on the tabs of the Excel spreadsheet. As the modeller is German some of the text on the spreadsheet is in German, but a quick copy and paste to Google Translate should help.

If you would like a copy of the carcard and waybills files I use please let me know.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/04/2021 at 05:24, Barnaby said:

Hello

I enjoy small/micro inglenook style layouts.  I want to Randomise my train movements & wagon loads but also keep a record of them so something like Excel or similar software program would be great.

I'm mainly interested in freight so the working end is scrap yard, factory, machine shop etc.  I will enter/leave the yard from one end only.  Initially a Waybill & Wagon Card manual system allows for most of what I want but it would be good to input into a prog on my pc then print the cards out.

Any ideas anybody as I don't want to re-invent the wheel?

Best

Is Wagonflow actually still available?

Thanks Gents.

Robin thanks for the link I'll go and have a looksee but I may take you up on your kind offer of your files.

Kevin I don't think Wagonflow is still available.

Many thanks both.