Smoke & Steam

Phil Parker

• Administrators

Smokeandsteam.jpg

Be prepared to be entertained and inspired by our all-new publication, Smoke & Steam!

Join us across some of the most famous – and not so famous – routes, featuring locomotive legends. With in-depth articles, explaining some of the most important moments of Britain’s railway history from a variety of eras and regions, accompanied by rare or never-before printed photography.

Contents

Following the Flagman - Dover’s seafront railway – Paul Isles

Forgotten Railways - The Peak District mainline – Graham Nicholas

Iconic stations: Exploring Salisbury – Graham Muspratt

Travelling in style: The Cornish Riviera Express – Adrian Vaughan

Mallard: A Pictorial Journey – Tony Wright

Semaphore Signalling - Why the GWR was different – Mike Romans 

There’s only one Edinburgh Waverley – Ian Lamb

Restoring an SR Merchant Navy – Graham Musprattt

Goods locomotives of Buckingham – Tony Gee

Moving Into BR - the GWR becomes the Western Region  - Mike Romans

Weathering a locomotive – Phil Parker

Available digitally or on high-quality paper, Smoke & Steam is the coffee table companion you’ll want to keep forever.

On sale from 30th April

Printed on high-quality paper - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/Store/reader-offers/smoke-and-steam-magazine-issue-1/

Digital edition - https://pocketmags.com/smoke-and-steam-magazine

Initially, this bookazine will only be available mail order, but once things start to return to normal in the news trade, it should be appearing in good newsagents. If you want an unthumbed copy though, we will be pleased to post it to you!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Despite my articles, having had the opportunity to review some of the excellent other contributors articles from which I have already learnt new things (everyday is a school day) and think it will be a cracking publication. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will this be avail in stores - I can see the postman destroying it as per usual as our post box is a long way from the house and he packs everything in like its a puzzle or will it be better protected than just the usual plastic wrap on a magazine

Edited by Ighten

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ighten said:

Will this be avail in stores - I can see the postman destroying it as per usual as our post box is a long way from the house and he packs everything in like its a puzzle or will it be better protected than just the usual plastic wrap on a magazine

From original post 

“Initially, this bookazine will only be available mail order, but once things start to return to normal in the news trade, it should be appearing in good newsagents. If you want an unthumbed copy though, we will be pleased to post it to you!”

• Like 1

On 26/04/2021 at 16:56, Graham_Muz said:

From original post 

“Initially, this bookazine will only be available mail order, but once things start to return to normal in the news trade, it should be appearing in good newsagents. If you want an unthumbed copy though, we will be pleased to post it to you!”

Graham,

Would be grateful if you can advise how to obtain a digital copy please.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, prtrainman said:

Graham,

Would be grateful if you can advise how to obtain a digital copy please.

I can not speak for Warners, and I assume the digital copy will be made available by their website in due course.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, sjrixon said:

https://pocketmags.com/smoke-and-steam-magazine

Link to the digital edition.. As the original post wasn't very clear... 

The original link takes you to the pre-order page for the print version. I couldn't add the link to digital as it didn't exist four weeks ago. My apologies for not having a time machine. We'll get the digi link added to the page ASAP.

On 01/05/2021 at 19:52, Phil Parker said:

The original link takes you to the pre-order page for the print version. I couldn't add the link to digital as it didn't exist four weeks ago. My apologies for not having a time machine. We'll get the digi link added to the page ASAP.

No time machine? I'm sure there must be a kit somewhere on the Internet...

Serious question time - is this a toe in the water to see if there's a market for a regular publication? It looks really good, and I shall be heading over to Pocketmags to grab a virtual copy.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Paul C said:

Serious question time - is this a toe in the water to see if there's a market for a regular publication? It looks really good, and I shall be heading over to Pocketmags to grab a virtual copy.

I think that largely depends on how well this first edition sells. It's a different sort of publication to the normal magazine style. Articles are longer, and the pictures have been given space to breathe. It's all a lot more work. Early indications are positive, but we'll have to wait and see.

SmokeandSteam2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the content of the publication, but found the design less satisfactory — surprising because the designer is, if I'm not mistaken, the regular BRM designer, and I have no complaints about the design of that publication. Specifically (in the digital version):

1. The font used for the contents list was hard to read, especially against the background of the page. A plainer font might have looked less artistic but would have been easier to read.

2. The design made use of areas of pages with a single column—hard to read with a relatively small font, and other areas—often in the same article—with three columns, either with or without vertical rules between them, which looked confusing (though no complaints with the use of three columns per se).

My favourite article was "Follow the flagman" about Dover docks — interesting that 'P' and 'B4' class locos could be found in the same place. The biggest surprise for me was that, with Adrian Vaughan among the contributors, he didn't write the article on GWR signalling…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

While in the office yesterday, I got my hands on the first EP version and it's not quite what I expected. It might be a bookazine, but it looks and feels like a softback book. It's thicker than I expected for a start. Sadly, I didn't remember to take a photo, but we'll get one as soon as the production versions land.

• RMweb Gold

Mine just dropped through the door and very nice on a quick flick through two articles. 
One minor typo in the Salisbury article the timeline on p53 has the wrong year for the panel box opening, Graham has it correct as 1981 in the text though so I assume a typo in setting up the page. 

As a side note we will be celebrating 40 years of the Signalbox from 17-21 August this year as it took over its first bit of control on 17th Aug of Wilton Jn and gradually picked up the rest of the area over the week, the articles date of the 19th is correct for the station area the article is about. 

Very good overall on a quick flick through the photos in the rest :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My copy just arrived, thanks. Looking forward to reading it because I need some cheering up with the outside world being so unpleasant in so many ways at the moment...

If the weather continues to be as dreary this weekend as it is today I should have a good excuse to sit down and read it.

• Like 3

On 20/05/2021 at 14:06, PaulRhB said:

Mine just dropped through the door and very nice on a quick flick through two articles. 
One minor typo in the Salisbury article the timeline on p53 has the wrong year for the panel box opening, Graham has it correct as 1981 in the text though so I assume a typo in setting up the page. 

As a side note we will be celebrating 40 years of the Signalbox from 17-21 August this year as it took over its first bit of control on 17th Aug of Wilton Jn and gradually picked up the rest of the area over the week, the articles date of the 19th is correct for the station area the article is about. 

Very good overall on a quick flick through the photos in the rest :) 

I must have missed that typo.

My apologies.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

You are more than forgiven ;) it’s a super and varied collection of articles. I bought it on the strength of two and am enjoying all of them. 
I was particularly reading the Salisbury one first because of its local interest and to see what else Graham had dug up that we might use on the anniversary week of the panel this year ;) 

We still have one of the Signalmen who opened the new panel in 1981 working it today so he was the one who gave us the info that the box opened on the Monday and then gradually commissioned the rest over the week, the station on the Wednesday and Tunnel Jn on the Friday. From that we worked back to 17-21st is the anniversary and it gives us a week of celebration :) (oh and cake!)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A great read. Thankyou to everyone involved.

I started reading last weekend indoors while the weather was bad but completed it this weekend outside on the lawn in the sun. Very pleasant! :smile_mini:

I hope there will be more. Quarterly might be good...?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1