GW "Castle" HST trailer numbers

Hello,

Can anyone direct me to a complete listing of all the new (and former) numbers for the GW "Castle" 4-car HST trailers please?

I have many, but not all; hence the request for a full list of current number and former one. Also double renumberings, eg 42093 which became 48111, then renumbered again to 48101.

Many thanks.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

image.png.513fd993568fcfd21672535cfd498533.png

From a combination of Harris and P5 2021. No gurentee of FGW renumbering more of them. Renumbering apparently due to having the disabled coach every fourth number (starting 48102) and also getting the two owners (Angel and FGW) into blocks.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Just been looking through these renumberings. 

48108 seems to be the most interesting vehicle, as it's been through a number of iterations:

Started out as Mk3 E11003 - W41002 (prototype HST) - 41174 - 42357 - 41174 - 48108. Am I correct?

Sorry that was a typo, Harris has 42317 as 48108 but 42174 (not 41174) was used instead and a finger glitch got in the way when updating the number.

41174 was originally E3217 before becoming E11003, although there is no evidence that it ever carried that - it left Litchurch lane as E11003.

The only ex TFs converted are 48104/42365/41107 and 48150 which is due to be converted from 41155/42580.

I do wish they had taken a bit more care with planning the renumbering; however, from what I have read some of the initial choices for conversion were not as 'square' as when they were built and they could not fit the new doors. 

• Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for the clarification.

As I (literally) only lived a mile or so down the road from Litchurch Lane, I was often to be found peering over the fence. Hence my particular interest in Mk3 stock.....

The original TGS's, when in their green undercoat/primer, were stenciled as GTS, but that's another story. 

• 4 months later...

Silly question time.

I see these sets quite often, particularly on the Cardiff - Taunton services, and only ever see 2 + 4 sets.

I see on the lists posted above there are sets with only three trailers shown, does this mean there are 2 + 3 sets running around, or are there some spare trailers to make the sets up to 2 + 4?

cheers 

42 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Silly question time.

I see these sets quite often, particularly on the Cardiff - Taunton services, and only ever see 2 + 4 sets.

I see on the lists posted above there are sets with only three trailers shown, does this mean there are 2 + 3 sets running around, or are there some spare trailers to make the sets up to 2 + 4?

cheers 

There were 2+3 sets while vehicles were still being delivered, however AFAIK all sets are 2+4 now as planned with one additional trailer as 'spare'.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a 3 coach set in use two Weeks ago, consisting of 48134, 48135 & 49113 (as stated above)

Of note, both TSO’s were stickered up as coach C.

Power cars were 43088 & 43158.

On a different note, I saw a TSO(D) in a different rake that day, that had a pale Blue stripe to denote the disabled toilet end of the coach. Is this unusual, or have I just not been paying attention ?! :scratchhead:

I got a pic of it if it’s of any use to anyone.

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

There were 2+3 sets while vehicles were still being delivered, however AFAIK all sets are 2+4 now as planned with one additional trailer as 'spare'.

Thanks.

I travelled home from Exeter to Weston last night on a well load 2 + 4  set, it is good to see these sets still doing very useful work,

cheers

13 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

There was a 3 coach set in use two Weeks ago, consisting of 48134, 48135 & 49113 (as stated above)

Of note, both TSO’s were stickered up as coach C.

Power cars were 43088 & 43158.

On a different note, I saw a TSO(D) in a different rake that day, that had a pale Blue stripe to denote the disabled toilet end of the coach. Is this unusual, or have I just not been paying attention ?! :scratchhead:

I got a pic of it if it’s of any use to anyone.

cheers,

Phil.

I think the stripe is standard practice now on GWR. Various TOCs use a variety of coloured stripes to denote bicycle accomodation or where the wheelchair spaces/toilets are located as an aid to staff. Greater Anglia uses blue for bikes iirc on the FLIRTs.