Do model railway clubs fall under 'Step 3'?

JSModels

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had confirmation from their local authority that their model railway club can effectively re-open as of step 3 of the government's 'roadmap out of lockdown'? At present this is slated to be not before Monday 17th May.

I've heard that many clubs are aiming for this date to re-open to members, based on the fact that most businesses can reopen, including "indoor hospitality", "indoor entertainment" and "indoor adult group sports", but I've not seen anything in writing to say that this is indeed the case.

I appreciate that some clubs are registered as businesses, and therefore (one would assume) they are ok to open under the above? What about clubs that are still just good-old-fashioned clubs?

Just wanted to get others' thoughts on this before I contact my local authority on behalf of the club...

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jrb said:

Has anyone had confirmation from their local authority that their model railway club can effectively re-open as of step 3 of the government's 'roadmap out of lockdown'? At present this is slated to be not before Monday 17th May.

I am Chairman of our local Community Centre and our Clubrooms are in a separate building on the same site which we own.

Derby City Council seem to get their advice from ACRE (Action with Communities in Rural England) and in particular their Covid guidance that can be found on this page (version 9 update two weeks ago)

CLICK HERE FOR COVID ADVICE FROM 'ACRE'

There is a 49 page guidance document and from the link above you can also see a very detailed list of activities in a supplement to Appendix D which specifically mentions 'Model Railways' as being in stage 3. I would also recommend using their Risk Assessment to show that you have thought of everything before opening the Clubrooms.

What I found interesting is their interpretation of the 'Rule of Six' - see page 5. Originally we thought that it meant that only six people could enter the Clubrooms but if you read the guidance in detail, it seems you can have as many groups of six that the building can accommodate as long as there is a social distance between each group and no interaction. So depending on the size of your building you could possibly have six behind each layout, in the library etc.

Although the Community Centre reopened last year, the Model Railway Club didn't as we had too many arguments about what was and wasn't permitted and how the risks could be managed - in the end we decided not to open as the Committee were concerned about their personal liability as officers of the Club is anyone caught Covid from another member. This time I hope we are going to take a more sensible approach (see page 13).

I hope that the above is helpful and I'm sure we would all appreciate advice from other Clubs about their plans to reopen so that we can consider how others are minimising any risks.

• Informative/Useful 3

Another question to consider is who would want to go back yet?

Social distancing will still officially be a requirement so as a club is is our responsibility to expect members to adhere to this. Now many members want to go to a club & remain 2m apart while wearing face coverings? I guess the answer is 'some'. Would this be enough to make a club night worthwhile? It is worth mentioning that our club does not have permanent premises but hires out a hall, only paying for our time there.

• RMweb Premium

My local club opened for about 3 or 4 weeks in the run-up to the Christmas break. Like many then we assumed that we would be able to continue in the New Year (while my son went back to university, I continued supply teaching, etc. etc.). Our regime then was to have small socially-distanced groups working on layouts (in practice a group of two, of three, and of five), socially distanced both within the group and between the group, no shared tools etc. - which worked; there was progress on the layouts, which provided satisfaction, as well as the pleasure of meeting up. It seems to me that that was much like what @Mike Bellamy is describing. Of course we had and will I expect continue to have members who are not yet ready to return.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Social distancing will still officially be a requirement so as a club is is our responsibility to expect members to adhere to this. Now many members want to go to a club & remain 2m apart while wearing face coverings? 

They do not need to be 2m apart - as long as there are no more than 6 in a group. Copied below from the guidance linked in my original post above.

As long as there are no more than 6 in a group, it appears that a group could be made up of individuals from 6 different households. 

Different “rule of 6” groups should be separated by 2m so that social distancing is maintained between them and they do not mix or mingle.

People in groups of one, i.e., individuals not in a group, may need to be socially distanced from other groups.

Where there is significant likelihood of different groups interacting, activities should not take place indoors a community facility.

Think about hospitality venues which are also opening in May - those going for a drink or a meal do not have to sit 2m away from their friends - 6 can be at a table together without masks as long as there is a distance of 2m between each group of 6 - why should a model railway group be treated any differently. In fact looking at the average age of our members, I would expect that the majority will have been vaccinated by mid May, which won't apply to all of those in pubs and restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

They do not need to be 2m apart - as long as there are no more than 6 in a group. Copied below from the guidance linked in my original post above.

That is useful. I will review it in a little more detail.

but

There is so much dis-information available that people believe, many are cautious about what is official & what is not, preferring to err on the side of caution.

Those who are not comfortable will choose to stay at home. I am 1 of a committee so getting back needs to be a committee decision rather than an individual one.

I am also not a keyholder. That would be a problem!

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I am 1 of a committee so getting back needs to be a committee decision rather than an individual one.

I am also not a keyholder.  

I take it the key keeps moving at least 2m from you no matter how close you get, a bit like the end of the rainbow.

Don't forget to socially distance from yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

There are other points to be considered beside the actual Government rules.

Is the venue prepared to open. One local church hall is not. Others are charging time and materials for cleaning.

Does your insurance accept the idea? Some do some do not.

Do your members feel happy with the set up? Many people in some clubs that I belong to still want tight rules to remain in place.

Have you checked on yes or no re catering and sharing and/or touching other items?

Have you a policy regarding vaccination passports? One local group is making them compulsory.

With cycling we are allowed up to 15 for an official event, but many groups are sticking with 6 as the detail of what you need to do to accommodate more is far to onerous for amateur people to cope with. I am leading a ride next week and I certainly do not want the hassle of more than 6 people attending.

Bernard 

• RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2021 at 19:28, Mike Bellamy said:

I am Chairman of our local Community Centre and our Clubrooms are in a separate building on the same site which we own.

Derby City Council seem to get their advice from ACRE (Action with Communities in Rural England) and in particular their Covid guidance that can be found on this page (version 9 update two weeks ago)

CLICK HERE FOR COVID ADVICE FROM 'ACRE'

There is a 49 page guidance document and from the link above you can also see a very detailed list of activities in a supplement to Appendix D which specifically mentions 'Model Railways' as being in stage 3. I would also recommend using their Risk Assessment to show that you have thought of everything before opening the Clubrooms.

What I found interesting is their interpretation of the 'Rule of Six' - see page 5. Originally we thought that it meant that only six people could enter the Clubrooms but if you read the guidance in detail, it seems you can have as many groups of six that the building can accommodate as long as there is a social distance between each group and no interaction. So depending on the size of your building you could possibly have six behind each layout, in the library etc.

Although the Community Centre reopened last year, the Model Railway Club didn't as we had too many arguments about what was and wasn't permitted and how the risks could be managed - in the end we decided not to open as the Committee were concerned about their personal liability as officers of the Club is anyone caught Covid from another member. This time I hope we are going to take a more sensible approach (see page 13).

I hope that the above is helpful and I'm sure we would all appreciate advice from other Clubs about their plans to reopen so that we can consider how others are minimising any risks.

Interestingly an art/craft show as non-essential retailing,  therefore presumably assuming the items are all for sale, can open under step 2. (a model railway show/swap meet with no layouts in all but name) Model railways alone not until a later step. Not sure I would actually go to such an art event, even with a mask, this early even if I wanted to but useful to read the guidance.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Don't forget to flush toilets and run taps to clear any Legionella that may have thrived. Potentially as dangerous as Covid after a long period of plumbing systems out of use.

This has been done every week for the last 12 months in line with guidance in the link I provided above

6 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Have you a policy regarding vaccination passports? One local group is making them compulsory.

As Vaccination 'passports' do not exist we cannot introduce a policy. If they do become available then we will follow official guidance.

12 minutes ago, john new said:

Model railways alone not until a later step. 

Remember this is guidance issued for Village Halls and Community Centres based on their regular user groups and I must assume that the comment about 'Model Railways' relates to a Club using the hall for its own regular meetings rather than an exhibition. I agree that a 'swapmeet' could take place as it could be said that it is an 'indoor market' which is permitted. I'm sure exhibitions would have to wait until all restrictions are removed. I am sure ACRE will issue more guidance in due course.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Our MRC is planning to open from May 17th, with 6 people on site any evening in our rented club rooms, we are continuing as it was during the break from lockdowns. There is not enough room in the club, for more than that without close interaction.

My reading of the regs mean you could have an MRC show from May 17, if it was outside, I think you'd get away with gazebos without the  sides. From June 21 indoor shows could occur.

SWMBOs weaving group is planning outside meetings in up to two groups of 6 from Tuesday. Indoors from May 17.

The sailing club restarted last Sunday , between the lockdowns there was a limit on the number of boats taking part, now there isn't. But you are not allowed into the club house except to collect a muggacoffee, the races have been scheduled so different fleets arrive and leave separately.

Our first really big event which includes 300-400 competitors in 100 to 150 boats plus about 100 race officials, is planned to go ahead June 4th 5th. http://3rr.uk/  ( entries still accepted till May if you're mad enough:D

Of the race officials, about half are floating about the Broads in guardships and rescue boats (including me). The rest are in shifts at the club house over the 36 hours covering the 26 hours of racing plus registration, pre safety checks, the returning signing in and breakfasts.

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 2

My layout, along with a few others, is in rented office space - we are not a club as such, just a bunch of friends (10 of us) renting space to build our layouts.

During the last lockdown, we contacted the local council to see what our status was in terms of being able to re-open and they classed us as a leisure facility along the same lines as a gym so we will be returning, socially distanced of course, to the office on Monday in line with the reopening of gyms.

John

• Informative/Useful 1