Bachmann intermodal wagons.

XChris

Hi all,

I've had a rake of the standard Bachmann modern image container wagons for a while, before Hattons FEA's or Dapol's intermodal wagons came out. Now my question is where and when did these wagons actually operate, as I'm considering selling them if they don't fit in with my era of around 2010-2018. Any help is much appreciated! I've attempted to search through my own images but unfortunately I concentrated on the locos :help:

Cheers all!

• RMweb Premium

Introduced in 1994 IIRC, still running now. They’re coded FIAs, and run under DB Cargo, including carrying aluminium from Germany with JLR/Novelis containers in conjunction with IWA Cargowagons, as well as more general intermodal services. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Railfreight1998 said:

DB use them fitted with flat containers on steel traffic from Scunthorpe to eastern France through the channel tunnel as well as the Jaguar aluminium trains.

They're also used by GBRf on some of their intermodal services.

Does anyone do a kit for the bits that carry the steel? Would be interesting to model that! 

Thanks for the information guys!

3 minutes ago, XChris said:

Does anyone do a kit for the bits that carry the steel? Would be interesting to model that! 

Thanks for the information guys!

I think you'd have to scratch-build. From above, the containers look like a large, flattened, 'H'. The ends extend the full width of the wagon, with the middle 'spine' being narrower. A photo will show what I mean:-

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FIA-intermodal-flats-Sfggmrrss/i-wBB3FTP/A

FIA_33704938310-8_UpperHolloway_240210 (41)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Railfreight1998 said:

DB use them fitted with flat containers on steel traffic from Scunthorpe to eastern France through the channel tunnel as well as the Jaguar aluminium trains.

They're also used by GBRf on some of their intermodal services.

Didn’t know GBRf used them, that’s interesting. 

I’ve done a 3D print of the JLR boxes, just waiting for the Revolution IWAs!
image.jpeg.ee42ad042df814cd73115cb8bc97eff3.jpeg

• Like 1