Transport Replicas/Varney - What happened to the moulds?

stewartingram

Does anyone know if any of their products survive under another name? During scanning of old magazines, I've come across a lot of their items, in old adverts and reviews, and wondered if they still exist anywhere? Havining said that, I picked up a nice Austin car on Ebay today!

Stewart

I think that the proprietor was Jim Varney who lived in Bromley, Kent.

The range consisted of mostly bus kits, with a few trams and some cars and vans. They were quite wide ranging geographically including a fair number of London vehicles and the vans I recall featured a number of well known preserved ones that appeared regularly on the London to Brighton Historic Commercial Vehicle Run and other similar rallies. One of them was I think owned by Prince Marshall and had adverts for Old Motor Magazine, one of the titles he owned ?

I have a few unmade bus kits bought when they were first launched. I bought them in a model shop which was in Middlesex Street, near Liverpool Street , East London in the 1970s. Having just stimulated my braincells, jogged my memory and had a look on the internet, that might have been Ross Sheilds which was previously on the side of Broad Street Station, moved to here, but then moved to a bigger shop across the road and became Hadley Hobbies.

(That's a few more brain cells gone!)

The tram and car and van kits are with KW Trams and the bus kits with the Model Bus Federation as previously mentioned.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Thanks 1