Recomenmendations for DCC Dapol and Heljan O gauge models.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everone.

I have got 2 "O" gauge locomotives and I would like to get DCC decders for them.

The models that I have are the "Heljan" Falcon and a "Dapol" 08. I have done a internet search for the relevant decoders but I have not been sucsessful.

The long term project is to sound chip them but here agian I have had trouble in sorting our the relevant decoders and speakers.

Thank You.

Terry.

Terry you need to measure the amps that the loco draws on DC, the Dapol 08 will need a 1amp chip, I have a Zimo in mine and it runs well, the falcon is probably the same as a class 47 and I used a 2amp chip in mine although it only draws 0.7-1.1amps but the stall current is just on 2amps therefore you’re talking about a £140+ chip.

I think my 47 has an ESU chip 3.5 but that was all I could get at the time (21 years ago) I would now use a Zimo MX699R having seen a Heljan Western with one and tried driving it, far better than my 47.

I think that unless there is a reason why you can’t put sound in don’t waste money on plain chips unless you can use them later on other locos, I think it’s false economy not to fit sound from the start!

regards mike