LMS roof colouring; early period. Black strips?

t.s.meese

My understanding is that the MR painted coach roofs grey but with black on the south/out side of the rain strips. I also understand that this was perpetuated in early LMS days. (I'm not sure when it was phased out, but I would guess by/before period II coaches.) My question is whether in LMS days this was done only with former MR stock or whether former LNWR (and other) stock received the same treatment on repaints during that early period. 

Thanks,

Tim.

David Jenkinson's "LMS Coaches" suggests this practice ceased around 1935, though the black/grey scheme had continued to the end of new build wooden roof Period II stock. From 1935 the same metallic roof finish used fom 1933 on Stanier stock was applied to all repaints. Post WW2 roofs became grey, though he was unable to ascertain a paticular date. Repaints would normally occur every 6-7 years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

...... continued to the end of new build wooden roof Period II stock. .....

.....and, presumably, included existing stock of whatever origin ................. at least in theory ( some workshops MIGHT have persisted with their old ways, of course ).

While Jenkinson differentiates between Period I/II wooden roofs and Period III steel roof, the question remains how the Period I/II 'All-Steel' stock with short rainstrips were painted originally : theyd've looked very odd with just a patch of black beneath each strip !

• RMweb Premium

There are a few photos in Jenkinson's LNWR Carriages that suggest that on ex-LNWR elliptical-roofed carriages, the area below the rainstrip was black in LMS days - at least as long as carriages were being turned out in fully-lined livery, i.e. up to late 1934. However, since this area was not varnished (unlike Midland practice probably up to the Great War) and carriage roofs got very dirty, it's difficult to be confident. There appears to be a dearth of photos of freshly-painted ex-LNWR carriages. But I can see no reason why the elliptical-roofed carriages would not have received what was the standard LMS carriage livery.

What I'm unsure about is how arc-roofed carriages were treated, even in Midland days. The side of an elliptical or LNWR or Midland-style clerestory roof below rainstrip level would be visible from platform level but not an arc-roof. I have a feeling that painting the roof black below the rainstrip may have started on the MR with the clerestory carriages introduced in 1896.

• Like 1