Hello from a new 2mm modeller

Intraclast

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a couple of months and thought I should say hello properly before joining in the chat.  I have recently joined the 2mm Scale Association and am almost done with my taster wagon (I’ve just got the support gussets to do). Thank you to Nick Mitchell for the video guides, they have been very helpful.

Not only am I new to 2mm, but this is my first proper foray into railway modelling as an adult – lots to learn.  Some years ago I was planning an N gauge layout using finescale track. I got as far as hand laying a functional turnout. I met a 2mm modeller who suggested trying 2mm.  Skip some years filled with family, DIY, gardening and more DIY and I find myself with (hopefully) enough time to apply myself to some modelling again. It will be a long-term thing as I don’t have that much time. But then I don’t actually have anywhere to put a proper layout yet either!

I intend to model the Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway pre-grouping, probably early 19th 20th Century.  This will bring its own challenges as most of the prototypical locomotives aren’t available as RTR or kits/etches.

So I’ve loads to learn, almost starting from scratch and looking forward to learning loads of new skills and techniques.  Thanks to everyone for all the posts on this forum, they are really informative and inspirational.

Mark

Edited by Intraclast
100 years out!
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Welcome Mark.    If you've the time, jump on the Zoom meeting set up for 0900GMT Saturday and say hello - or just lurk there.  Don't mind the Aussies - we're harmless but a bit prone to going off on tangents.  Lots of famous (and some infamous) 2mm modellers join in so you can get some questions answered first hand by the experts.  Mind you, I find the answers lead to much head scratching and more questions at first but you soon get the hang of it all.  Details are on the forum in the ZAG Meetings thread.

Cheers

Kevin

31 minutes ago, Intraclast said:

I intend to model the Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway pre-grouping, probably early 19th Century.  This will bring its own challenges as most of the prototypical locomotives aren’t available as RTR or kits/etches.

Welcome to 2mm.    I'll assume "early 20th Century" as the early 19th would be horse-drawn tramway if anything at all.    Even early 20th C, those prototypes will be really small, which will be challenging to build. Not impossible but its pushing the boundaries.    

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

@Nigelcliffe

Yes early twentieth century.  I don't fancy finding a way to make a model horse move prototypically!

I'm looking at LNWR Jumbos and Cauliflowers and NER 1001, Fletcher 398 and others that I cannot recall right now.  I guess I'll have to see what my capabilities are as I go on, and change my timeframe if I am found wanting.

I'm probably going to do the Farish Jinty conversion so that I have something to run and test with, though they never visited the CK&PR as far as I can tell, certainly not in the early 20th Century!

@Sithlord75

Thanks for the invite. I've not made it to any of the ZAG meetings yet. I won't be able to make this one either unfortunately as I've got stuff on.  I hope to join one soon.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1