KR Models announced intention: Haydock Foundry 0-6-0WT 'Bellerophon'

Edwardian

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'm curious as to what happened to the rest of the cab?  Every picture here, other than the modern-day pictures, shows Bellerophon with a full cab.

It has changed quite a lot and quite often by the looks of it. Following on from my earlier 3/4 front view photo of it at Welland in 2014, here's the rear 3/4 view which shows the cab is now a lot more open than some of the older photos. Odd.

Perhaps in worked in some restricted height area sometime.

IMGP2824.JPG.bf7ed6eb766c24d46339dfd7464f8b71.JPG

Edited by 96701
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It might be more useful to model it in mid gear although that could depend on how they are going to assemble the valve gear. (Or is it better to have right when it's only going one way rather than not having it right whichever way it's going?)

Presumably it's based on the engine as in some of its preservation years as it has vacuum and steam heat bags?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

That link requires you to login to FB

Ahhh did not realise. Thought it was a publicly viewable link even if one did not have an account.

25 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It might be more useful to model it in mid gear although that could depend on how they are going to assemble the valve gear. (Or is it better to have right when it's only going one way rather than not having it right whichever way it's going?)

Presumably it's based on the engine as in some of its preservation years as it has vacuum and steam heat bags?

I believe this to be nothing more than the initial scan data made into a CAD model. Hence gear where it is, preservation additions etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 69843 said:

I believe this to be nothing more than the initial scan data made into a CAD model. Hence gear where it is, preservation additions etc.

In other words, they've not yet worked out how they're actually going to model it!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

In other words, they've not yet worked out how they're actually going to model it!

To give them the benefit of the doubt (a potentially risky move I know), has there ever been another outside Stephenson’s valve gear locomotive produced RTR, or is this the first?

The locomotive was only scanned this month. Give them just a little time first before pulling out a lame heckle. This would be like heckling Rapido over the initial scan of the APT-E and saying “In other words, they haven’t actually worked out how they are going to tilt it!”.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 69843 said:

pulling out a lame heckle. 

That wasn't my intention. I was simply observing that they're at an early stage and, as you too observe, there are some interesting challenges to producing a RTR model. I look forward to seeing how they address these challenges.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That wasn't my intention. I was simply observing that they're at an early stage and, as you too observe, there are some interesting challenges to producing a RTR model. I look forward to seeing how they address these challenges.

My apologies for misreading that. One of those times that black and white text loses the intention. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 69843 said:

To give them the benefit of the doubt (a potentially risky move I know), has there ever been another outside Stephenson’s valve gear locomotive produced RTR, or is this the first?

The locomotive was only scanned this month. Give them just a little time first before pulling out a lame heckle. This would be like heckling Rapido over the initial scan of the APT-E and saying “In other words, they haven’t actually worked out how they are going to tilt it!”.

Actually it is Gooch valvegear which is slightly different from Stephenson although the basic principle is more or less the same.  Engines with outside Gooch valvegear were pretty rare in in Britain although it was quite  common in France in the relatively early days of french railways prior to the 19860s.  There is a preserved 0-6-0 at Mulhouse museum which has outside Gooch valve but i can't trace any indication that anyone has ever made an r-t-r model of it.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I don't know if this is Stephenson or Gooch valve gear but here's a video I remember seeing of a roco loco having working valve gear. If they can get close to this I would be happy

That's basically Stephenson as the reverser works on the expansion link whereas in Gooch gear the reverser works on the radius rod  (the long round rod between the expansion link and the valve rod on Bellerophon).  The expansion link is also the opposite way round - convex curve towards the front of the engine on Stephenson valve gear but towards the rear of the engine on Gooch valvegear.

Best sketches I could find (couldn't find a sketch of outside Stephenson gear).

1195109569_Goochgear.jpg.44342c4e7b5a559a6280d902d6856cff.jpg 

75630318_Stephendsongear(inside).jpg.9ff2f40d108a193272bf07ef59635775.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see a civilised and informative discussion on such an unusual subject, my own computer is at the doctors  at  the moment ( dropped  from a great height on to a stone floor) so  I can't see whether I've placed an expression of interest yet and I can't remember (old farts syndrome)! 

MIKE 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Great to see the CAD renders and to have news that the project is in progress and has moved beyond a statement of intent. Well done and thanks to KR, I would say, for their choice of subject and to starting work on the project. 

My only question is 2 or 3? So completely sold on this project. 

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Great to see the CAD renders and to have news that the project is in progress and has moved beyond a statement of intent. Well done and thanks to KR, I would say, for their choice of subject and to starting work on the project. 

My only question is 2 or 3? So completely sold on this project. 

4? ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 26/05/2021 at 16:27, AlfaZagato said:

I'm curious as to what happened to the rest of the cab?  Every picture here, other than the modern-day pictures, shows Bellerophon with a full cab.

I think the preserved condition is intended to represent the first sort of cab fitted.  The IRS monograph suggests that they were originally cabless (with, presumably, just a spectacle plate). By the time people started to notice them and photograph them, they had fuller cabs with side sheets fitted.  

20210604_191810.jpg.8f748ac0259e692c8db0f509d18ecb93.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Nice drawing - CJA is Cecil Allen?

The picture (of one of Bellerophon's sister engines) is taken from the cover of the IRS volume (published 1980) and it might be a reasonable guess that it was drawn for the publication.  If so, it would not be Cecil Allen, who died in 1973.

396582766_51HSspendHL._SX331_BO1204203200_.jpg.b5d6dab35376d117bda5a4d15b010d22.jpg

The Acknowledgements include one Colin Ashford, so that might be the artist?  Reference was also made to the collection of the late George Alliez, who had photographed Bellerophon in 1948 (with full cab!).  But he doesn't have the right initials!

BELLEROPHON_1948.jpg.8f5c14709586b388dd45aafd7ce9884b.jpg

The IRS volume is the only published source I have so far come across. One always wants to know more ....! 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/05/2021 at 12:02, chris p bacon said:

That link requires you to login to FB

A box popped up on the browser I normally don't use for Facebook, with a tiny "Not Now" button to click at the bottom. You still end up with a banner at the bottom, but you can see what's on the page.

image.png.3bfe49d9f7d99f01d9b8d840c6f5536a.png

Of course, that's only testing one browser - Chrome - I can't speak for other operating systems and browsers.

• Thanks 1