LNER Mobile Canteen

Hi there, can someone please give me the why and wherefore of this LNER mobile canteen please? 

I am guessing it is about early World war 2. I would like to know just where they went and how long did they last. 

Maybe an easy conversion, but how close to a conflat A is an LNER conflat V? Is that a date under the "Return to Doncaster"? 

And do the letters BD signify anything in particiular.

Many thanks for any info. 

LNER mobile canteen..JPG

• Like 3

This was one of a number of photos taken for public morale purposes during World War Two and the supplied caption reads 'Mobile Canteen for Engineer's Staff, Newcastle'.

I have no information on its use, how long it was used for or whether there were any others.

The Conflat Vs were converted from redundant standard LNER cattle vans; as such they had wooden underframes, and were noticeably longer in the body and shorter in the wheelbase than most contemporary container flat wagons.  This particular one, No 150692, was converted in 1935 from a dia 40 cattle wagon built in 1927, and appears in at least two LNER official photographs (see An Illustrated History of LNER Wagons  by Peter Tatlow, Volume 4B, p211/2).

The container is marked 'Return to Doncaster 1-6-42.  'BD 1074' means that it is Type BD container No 1074; it is the number it would have entered traffic with (in 1937) rather than something specific to this conversion.

D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I can't see a stove pipe coming out of the top - what did they use to brew up?  Hot coals from the firebox??

Primus stove? Gas cylinders?

Richard T

• Like 1