Replacement chassis for LBSC van

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Diag1434_500.jpg.12acb7cbfdb11f0450bc9b497bd0e072.jpg

Hi,

An exLBSC Diag 1434 van is on order, the recommended chassis is the Dapol but not a first choice, unfortunately a lack of a drawing or any information concerning this van is a problem. I do not even know if the vehicle had a metal underframe or its wheelbase etc. No idea on numbers or indeed anything......

Presumably something suitable from the latest Cambrian range - any suggestions?

Thanks

The body kit is a nice moulding, but the Dapol chassis is a completely inappropriate choice.  The LBSC wagons were steel framed, but the channel was the other way round, so all you see is a flat solebar, with a minimum of extra ironwork. I scratch-built my chassis using plain plastic strip for the solebars, with etched W-irons and brake gear. The wheelbase was 9' 9" so I suspect the Dapol chassis is wrong there, too, and I don't think there is anything suitable in the Cambrian range.  The LBSC numbers were 10350-10449.  When new, most just had double brakes on one side only, although from 10435 the rest were fitted with a variety of different patented double-sided brake designs, for evaluation, although none were adopted. Some acquired a second set of brakes later, and many went into service stock from around 1925, but some did last until the 1960's.

The roof ventilators shown in the photo can be made from the bits supplied, but they represent the original fitments, and later survivors seem to have acquired more orthodox shell vents. A drawing and photos can be found in "An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons Volume 2 - LBSCR and Minor Companies", which may, unfortunately, be a bit hard to track down, I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jack Benson

IMG_0460_1000.jpg.f230064394de3a5dfb8c78b85d187750.jpg

My apologies for not following up with a photo, it was a challenging build. The chassis is Cambrian with AG split spoke wheelsets. The paint finish represents its neglected condition post WW2.

StaySafe