Possible replacement chassis for Class 31

Downer

Did you get new detail packs?

I took the detailing off my two chassis before returning them and kept them at home, so I wasn't expecting and didn't receive new detailing packs. As discussed above, they have provided new chassis blocks and have transferred everything (PCB, bogie frames etc) from the old chassis onto the new block. I kept my two bodies as well so I have just received new chassis.

If you think new detail packs (or anything else) would be required, it would be best to mention it in the covering letter.

• RMweb Premium

Having started this thread, I thought I'd report my latest dealings with Hornby. Having never received a reply to my original email, I decided to phone them. A very nice man took the call, apologised for the earlier oversight, and put me on their list of those to contact. Last Saturday I was instructed by email to send in my broken chassis for replacement, which I have now done. So far, so good. I don't think Hornby have handled the PR aspect of all this very well, but, to their credit, they do seem to be coming up trumps in terms of doing what needed doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone pm me the address where at Hornby I should send the chassis.  I've had the email from Hornby telling me to send it to them, but they didnt mention where to send it!

Oh, i didn't get it either, had assumed it was on the website somewhere for Margate?

Hello All,

Having first become aware of the Class 31 chassis problem through the RM Web pages, i have watched the situation develop over the course of the last year. I have the 'dutch' liveried version R2421 and I e-mailed Hornby with the details back in January. Having seen that there had been some movement in the situation recently, i decided to remind Hornby of the e-mail i'd sent six months previously and this was the response:

"Thank you for your e-mail and apologies for not responding to you sooner.

It is with regret that we are only repairing the earliest versions of the class 31, R2413 and R2420. When we were doing our research earlier in the year nobody called or emailed us regarding the Dutch Liveried version. Therefore we only have the bodies and chassises for the green and blue liveries.

Kind regards

Customer Care"

While i'm obviously disappointed with the reply (to say the least!) and before i send my response, I'd like to know if anyone else has found themselves in the same position and specifically with regards to the 'dutch' liveried version?

• RMweb Gold

I was told to send mine to "Attention repair department", Hornby Hobbies Limited, followed by the usual address as given on the Hornby website, and to include a covering note.

I was also told that no Dutch versions would be replaced (mine's OK, though).

I rang Hornby up on monday and was told to send my model down to them, it cost £6.70 special delivery.

They told me that they wheren't replacing the Dutch version at this time and that it would be possibly as long as 56 day before it would be returned.

Just a thought though, if the cab ends are cracked and the chassis is drooping surely it's just a replacement loco rather than trying to repair an already flawed model?

Please don't attack me if this is stating the obvious!

Ian

I rang Hornby up on monday and was told to send my model down to them, it cost £6.70 special delivery.

They told me that they wheren't replacing the Dutch version at this time and that it would be possibly as long as 56 day before it would be returned.

Just a thought though, if the cab ends are cracked and the chassis is drooping surely it's just a replacement loco rather than trying to repair an already flawed model?

Ian

Ian

Not really, they can reuse the drivetrain and lighting units along with the circuit board at least.

I need to send mine this week as i've not had chance to visit the post office, i'll be sending it back without the body as that has been worked on and they wont need it.

• RMweb Premium

My 31 chassis arrived back home today, ready to roll. It took Hornby around three weeks, which seems pretty good. I didn't ask for a postage refund, so wasn't surprised not to receive one.

Hello there

My 31270 chassis just returned from Hornby at Margate. The whole replacement saga started last October and I say persevere and dont get annoyed. John Humphries (not from Mastermind!!) was the gentleman I wasd dealing with, and it was worth the patience and time.

It was the original equipment and a new chassis - which was fine by me. biggrin.gif

Hello there

My 31270 chassis just returned from Hornby at Margate. The whole replacement saga started last October and I say persevere and dont get annoyed. John Humphries (not from Mastermind!!) was the gentleman I wasd dealing with, and it was worth the patience and time.

It was the original equipment and a new chassis - which was fine by me. biggrin.gif

I too have now had the call, after some prodding, to return my faulty BR Blue version. Like others however I have been advised they will not repair my equally faulty 'Dutch' version due to the lower number of complaints on that one? I have questioned this inconsistent policy and I am waiting a response.

On thing Hornby have asked for with the returned loco is the numbers from the 'traceability label' that are allegedly printed on a small white label on the outer box. I have checked both original boxes, including outer sleeves, and neither have such a label? Both were purchase new on first release back in early 2005 from a local model shop. Has anybody else got this problem? Again I have gone back to Hornby asking their advice.

Was woken up at 7am by the postman banging on the door with my replacement for 31270. As well as the new chassie, I got a new body as the original 31270 had cracks in the corners from the old chassie. The replacement body is 31268 rather than 270, and includs the body side waist band that was missing from 270. The new model is weathered, but the weathering is much lighter than the original's. Hornby also returned the body from 31270 as well.

All in all very pleased about how things have progressed with this problem being sorted out by Hornby.

I too have now had the call, after some prodding, to return my faulty BR Blue version. Like others however I have been advised they will not repair my equally faulty 'Dutch' version due to the lower number of complaints on that one? I have questioned this inconsistent policy and I am waiting a response.

On thing Hornby have asked for with the returned loco is the numbers from the 'traceability label' that are allegedly printed on a small white label on the outer box. I have checked both original boxes, including outer sleeves, and neither have such a label? Both were purchase new on first release back in early 2005 from a local model shop. Has anybody else got this problem? Again I have gone back to Hornby asking their advice.

The traceability labels didn't start being used until 2006. The first issues of the Class 31s retained the old system of number stamping the instruction leaflet with a long number that began with an 'R' and the catalogue number. It may be that some Hornby staff may need to be 'reminded' of this. (See, us collectors can be useful sometimes! ;) )

Getting the decoder out of mine for return has been a pain as I put it under the circuit board and the two pips that was mounted on had also expanded making it difficult to remove! The body retaining lugs have now also snapped like fragile plastic.

I'm not sending the body back on mine as its been professionally sprayed and detailed with etchings so hopefully i'll just get a chassis swap along with a new bag of bufferbeam bits to replace those stuck in the old block.

Mine arrived back today which is good almost a new model it seems but that is good no buffer beam detail but that only small point will order replacement if needed more important got a working model again.

Good to know can buy Hornby with confidence now.

Mine arrived back today which is good almost a new model it seems but that is good no buffer beam detail but that only small point will order replacement if needed more important got a working model again.

I specifically asked for a replacement pack on my covering letter so hopefully I'll get one with mine. I need new skirts too as the one broke in 1/2 when being removed from the original chassis, it had been glued on :(.

I`m still waiting to be contacted about returning my class 31 R2420 ! I first emailed in October and then about 6 weeks ago should I just return it with a cover note ?

I sent them an email via the Hornby site a couple of weeks ago. Had a reply within a couple of days instructing me to return both locos. They went off Friday by Special Delivery and I would hope to see them back in a week or two. One had cracks on the lower corners of the body and both had the same broken fastener moulding inside the body that house the threaded insert to bolt the chassis to the body. I would assume that this indicates movement of the chassis which has moved the long chassis screws with the result that one of the screws has broken the fastener moulding. Strange thing to happen, particularly as it's the same on both loco bodies.

I would just fire off a mail to them and you should get a mail back in a day or two.

One had cracks on the lower corners of the body and both had the same broken fastener moulding inside the body that house the threaded insert to bolt the chassis to the body. I would assume that this indicates movement of the chassis which has moved the long chassis screws with the result that one of the screws has broken the fastener moulding. Strange thing to happen, particularly as it's the same on both loco bodies.

Its quite a thin bit of material surrounding the screws and it snapped on mine too when trying to prise off the circuit board (the pips it sat on had expanded). That and the cab section are probably the weakest point on the model and its inevitable it fails here first. It was like very brittle plastic on mine at that point.

Mine was posted on the 19th so will be a couple of weeks at least i'd think.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived